PDA

View Full Version : _____

TonE
04-18-2012, 11:14 PM
_____

EvilDragon
04-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Don't think there's a limit. And if there is, it is a LOT higher than what MIDI has.

Banned
04-19-2012, 05:25 AM
What is the maximum number of possible parameters in OSC space? Is there any upper limit, similar to the midi control space? Can we have using OSC also one million parameters or 100 million? Before starting using OSC it would be good to know what is the upper limit, to plan properly the parameter structure. Also how many parameters in parallel could Reaper handle properly?

I don't think there is *real* parallel processing - it is all serial - but I know what you mean. ;)
I'm still trying to find that out myself. It probably highly depends on the update rate. For best results, one can use multiple OSC configurations with different update frequencies (some parameters need more, some can do with much less). Arguably, that should be configurable for (sets of) individual parameters in a single OSC configuration, but of course we have only just started. Let's just think of appropriate FRs related to these issues when we get around to them.

I think any relevant limit is not on the OSC side, but on the side of REAPER processing stuff in native and plugin features (i.e. changing that synth filter cut-off, track panning, and send 5 volume).

Btw, another suggestion for marginal speed improvements on the network side (which is of course distinct from REAPER's ability to process data): use the smallest possible address lengths in your OSC namespace. E.g. instead of n/track/@/volume, you can also using /n/t/@/v which would require quite a few bytes less network traffic between OSC client and server. You can set things up with a more human readable namespace first, then shorten it when you're done tweaking your setup.