PDA

View Full Version : Latency Pbs

zarzar
07-20-2005, 02:46 AM
Hi all
Yesterday with some friends we were trying to test ninjam. When 5 of us were connected to the same server, we juste tried to count out loud on the metronom beat. Each of us started of course on the local first beat.
It seems that even if ninjam adds delay to recordings and sending channels, we weren't able to have 5 countings exactly similiar. I mean that when I was saying "ONE", one of my friend was already sayong "TWO" or something like that

Juste please tell me if I'm wrong but even if all the process is artifically delayed, all of us should have counted "ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR" in the same time even if we weren't on the same measure ? is that right ?

Do you know where can it come from ?
We've tried to use our own server ans also tried to play on the farjam servers, moreless same results :(

thanx
zarzar

zarzar
07-21-2005, 02:04 AM
nobody ?

does somebody at least get my point ? I'm asking because I'm french and so, my english may not be very clear.

mnology
07-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Latency is inherit in the system. It's ninjams way of keeping everyone in time. Not at the same time, but in tempo. Here's a scenario:

Lets say you and a friend connect to a server during the same interval(ninjams way of distributing chunks of sound in tempo). You and your friend wait until the beginning of the next interval to start counting, and you don't hear your friend yet, you just hear yourself counting. When that interval is done, you should hear your friend counting and he should hear you.

Now if you have a mic setup in a room that picks up your voice, and also picks up the sound coming out of your speakers(room mic), this is what your friend hears:

Interval 1: You both start counting, but don't hear each other
Interval 2: You stop counting, you hear your friend counting
Interval 3: Your friend hears himself counting from the previous interval coming from your speakers.

Confusing? Maybe. Does it matter? Not really. As long as the sound is coming out of your speakers from your instrument without any lag just play along with what your hear and your friends should do the same.

Justin
07-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi all
Yesterday with some friends we were trying to test ninjam. When 5 of us were connected to the same server, we juste tried to count out loud on the metronom beat. Each of us started of course on the local first beat.
It seems that even if ninjam adds delay to recordings and sending channels, we weren't able to have 5 countings exactly similiar. I mean that when I was saying "ONE", one of my friend was already sayong "TWO" or something like that

Juste please tell me if I'm wrong but even if all the process is artifically delayed, all of us should have counted "ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR" in the same time even if we weren't on the same measure ? is that right ?

Do you know where can it come from ?
We've tried to use our own server ans also tried to play on the farjam servers, moreless same results :(

thanx
zarzar

There is some latency depending on what sound interface you use.. if you use ASIO or Kernel Streaming, the latency usually is pretty low (i.e. 30ms or less), but depending on your settings it can be higher..

pavelponomaryov
12-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Sorry, does it mean that we like..can`t play in real time? I mean..like in real life? Then what is the point of the program?

cryptomail
12-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Sorry, does it mean that we like..can`t play in real time? I mean..like in real life? Then what is the point of the program?

Interesting question...
What's the point?
Yeah, what's the point.
I think that NINJAM offers alot of points.
Are you a musician?
Do you like to share?
Do you want to play music with others,whom you've never met in person?
NINJAM affords all these things, with alot of enjoyment, and real value.
So, why don't you just install it and use it to find out the point?
:)

pavelponomaryov
12-07-2005, 05:45 AM
I get the point of playing just for fun. But i don`t see how i could use this software for real time gigs. My band plays Elvis covers and playing such music with one measure latency is just ridiculous, becaue we wouldn`t be able to play it on a real performance after we get used to this latency. Let`s assume that the band starts to play on one end and I start to sing on the other end as soon as i begin to hear the music. The band will hear me singing 1 measure later, this is totally unacceptable. I mean...yeah this app is cool etc. etc., but it does not give me what i want - to play as usual, in real time without ny latency. If this program could do that, it would be revolutionary.

dirmass
12-08-2005, 05:56 AM
hmmm, well i don't know how the software works, but it works for me... must be some sort of miracle involved :P

harmono
01-04-2006, 11:56 PM
I was wondering if others experience this and how to resolve this.

When I first log in, when I listen to my channel, there is a slight delay, but it's acceptable. But within a minute the delay gets too long, and afer a few minutes the delay I'm hearing is a second or two. I usually mute my own channel, because it's annoying.

I'm getting into the habit of logging in and out all the time so that I get that first few minutes of decent delay. But I'm not sure if there really is a delay, but the delay didn't concern me until I heard recordings of my playing, and my rhythm was terrible.

I've asked around and nobody seems to experience this. It's a consistent problem.

I have a cable-modem. I can upload over 512K, and download over 2500K.

My audio configuration is Wave out Buffers 8x4096 bytes 16 bit.
I've tried to adjust these settings, but I get errors. The wave out configuration seems to be the only one that works. I am going to try other configurations.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance. By the way I really enjoy Ninjam.

dirmass
01-05-2006, 12:42 AM
In a session, the more I play the more delay I get, it's like the memory gets full or something... once I restart ninjam it go back to the acceptable delay..

something to do with the soundcard.. I even found of I update the drivers.. there is more delay...

btw.
alex here : )

harmono
01-08-2006, 08:28 PM
I finally figured out how to reduce my latentcy.
The only problem I have now is that I can't hear myself unless I'm transmitting, but that may be due to my windows settings. It also seems like the mix when recorded has my levels higher than I remember when I was playing.

My settings In Audio Configuration:
Input/Output system: ASIO
Input range: Auxiliary 2 Left, Auxiliary 2 Right.
Output: Left and Right are wave.

Hope this helps. I have a good soundcard, a Soundblaster Audigy2 which has inputs in a drive bay on the computer.

If you are wondering what it sounds like go to the samples page,a nd search "harmono". I recorded 1/7/05 with this configuration.
The last recoding of that evening is about a 24 minute jam with that configuration. For the most part i'm in sync, except for times when I'm playing with the sliders.