PDA

View Full Version : Editing Midi Pitch CC data

Zeigarnik22
06-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to edit some pitch bend data in the piano roll.

I recorded some MIDI and used the pitch wheel to do vibrato through most of the track. The main thing I'd like to be able to do is select a region of CCs and scale their dynamics, letting me have control over the depth of the vibrato. Has this feature been implemented yet?

Also, is there a way to zoom in on CC lanes currently? Because the vibrato only uses a small fraction of the MIDI pitch bend range, it ends up being very small in the piano roll (even if I make the CC lane close to full screen).

And finally, is there anything I can do to make Reaper display the pitch CC data differently? Right now it's using bars that extend from the 0 point down to the actual pitch, which in this case is overlapping making it hard to see the actual value over time. Having the bars be transparent except for their peaks would be helpful, or a simple line?

Anyway, if someone has experience with this, let me know how you do it. Thanks.

hopi
06-23-2012, 06:34 PM
couple thoughts

have you tried a diff color map for the midi ed? gofer has an nice on on the stash... I have one or two there also... you can change these on the fly from inside the midi editor...

the cc lanes should follow your horizontial zoom for the midi notes... so if you are way zoomed in horizontal on the notes, the cc lane should also be zoomed in...

various mouse modifiers can be set up to allow for finer or painting control with the mouse...

there is no way to just have lines as far as I know... colored bars are it... but you can have different ways of showing those colors via diff color maps and the settings for what colors are used for what.. like velo, channel, etc.

Zeigarnik22
06-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply. Could you give me a link to the color maps you are talking about?

The CC lanes do zoom horizontally, but it was the vertical space I was interested in. However, this isn't really a big issue.

I would prefer not to draw pitches manually, as I'm recording performances. I'd like to be able to select ranges of pitch CCs and scale them proportionally. I'm able to do it in Samplitude, and I hear Cubase has this feature as well. I saw a post on here from a few months ago, saying Reaper was getting this feature soon. I suppose it's just not added yet?

Tod
06-25-2012, 06:45 PM
The CC lanes do zoom horizontally, but it was the vertical space I was interested in. However, this isn't really a big issue.

Just left-click grab the little handle at the top left corner of the CC lane and drag it up or down.

I would prefer not to draw pitches manually, as I'm recording performances. I'd like to be able to select ranges of pitch CCs and scale them proportionally. I'm able to do it in Samplitude, and I hear Cubase has this feature as well. I saw a post on here from a few months ago, saying Reaper was getting this feature soon. I suppose it's just not added yet?

No that can't be done yet but a lot of folks want it.

Is there any way you can set the sensitivity of the Bender in your VSTi. Many VSTis can do this. If you can, you can rescale it for lesser pitch intervals which would make it better for vibrato.

Also, maybe you can use a LFO instead of the PitchBender to make your vibrato, it would be easier and smoother.:)

bigearz
06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Have you tried right-clicking the range of CC's you want to change, then view event properties and scale them by applying a relative number (-10, +5) in the Value box? It can be pretty quick if you assign a key command to view event properties.