PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Rig 5 and Reaper

unca D
04-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Hello, everyone

I've been having pretty good success with using VSTis in Reaper, using a Roland keyboard controller to audition the sounds. Insert virtual track, choose VSTi, and then record, use the midi editor, etc.

However, Guitar Rig 5, it seems, is different. I've found out that you don't get it loaded through Kontakt 5 but through Guitar Rig 5, as a VST. I've been perusing the NI manual for GR5, loading up different presets in GR5 (the CPU usage is the only thing active) but can't get sound through the synth. Read in forum today that right clicking the record button, and go to "output" then selecting "output (stereo)" is what you have to do.

Well, I've done that, and still don't have sound.

"Insert" - "Insert virtual instrument" has worked as the simple correct setup for all the other VSTis. Is there something else different or additional that I need to do in the I/O or routing in general which will give me Guitar Rig sounds on my synth?

And, second question: I'm creating songs in Sibelius and plan to import them to Reaper for finalizing. I have a strummed guitar part, but Sibelius plug-in for strummed guitar isn't working for me. Can I do that later in Reaper, after all the other parts are finished and imported?

Thank you.

NKB
04-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Guitar Rig is an effect. You simply insert it as effect on an existing instrument track.

BillT
04-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Your trying to use your keyboard synth to drive GR5?

bluzkat
04-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Guitar Rig is an effect...

And it works 'best' with a guitar, go figure! :D

(although it can be used as an FX 'rack')

:cool:

thequietroom
04-03-2013, 12:09 PM
if you want to "play" a guitar with the keyboard you need to use a guitar instrument. http://www.prominy.com/ has some high end sample libraries that run through Kontakt. Guitar rig is an Amp simlulator that you could run after the Kontakt in the chain.

unca D
04-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your help. Sometimes my lack of basic knowledge in
this area is so appalling as to be almost embarrassing. ...

Oh, well. Pick myself up,
dust off my pants and go on.

NOTE: I don't know the answer here: I have Kontakt Komplete 8. I haven't come across any guitar sounds, except maybe orchestral. Are there any more?
I've checked out the Prominy sounds. Look good, but don't have the money right now. Any cheaper ones, or free guitar sounds to play through Kontakt 5?

thequietroom
04-04-2013, 10:26 AM
http://www.sonivoxmi.com (go to DVI downloads)

I got a 50 dollar credit with an alesis qx49 and used it on the ramirez nylon guitar. I haven't used it seriously in anything yet but I tested the sounds and they sound good.

Thay have some other guitar instruments here. 30-50 dollar range

NKB
04-04-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't know the answer here: I have Kontakt Komplete 8. I haven't come across any guitar sounds, except maybe orchestral. Are there any more?There are a few guitar sounds included in Kontakt. Go to Kontakt Factory Library and under the "Band" category you should find the sub-category "Guitars".

darthmorphling
04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Here is a free guitar library for Kontakt.

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30644

Ad Kontakt as a VSTi and then Guitar Rig should be added after that as a vst.