PDA

View Full Version : Master - FX?

mschuster
08-27-2007, 08:38 AM
i've finished mixing a song - and would appreciate some tips/comments on what FXs other people use at this stage on the master?

i'm especially interested in understanding a little better what HARD LIMITERs do. I get the obvious - and have been using the JS:hard limiter - but wonder a) am i using it correctly, b) are my levels going in to the master (+8/+10) way too hot and c) am I "chopping" off bits/sound quality at the top doing this? any tips on getting a good level but not recking the quality of the sound?

thanks in advance!

simpsongb
08-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I'll start...but am no pro....

I use the ReaXcomp...the multi-band compressor...and I use the pre-sets that were pposted a while back by griz....depending upon the mix, some of the pre-sets seem to really smooth while boosting the overall sound....

Otherwise, I use EQ and reverb separately during the mixing...lately I have been experimenting with an FX track, adding reverb to that, then sending tracks through, and adjusting each reverb within the recive3s on the FX track....

I will be interested in what other folks are doing on the master when rendereing