PDA

View Full Version : Input / Output setup problems

minstrel
06-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I need some help getting set up. I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 with two mics into a PC laptop via USB. Having trouble with both input and output. When monitoring the mics through the Focusrite headphone jack, both mics appear as they should. When selecting the input in Reaper, the only option is pairs of inputs and only one mic appears on all input pairs.

I am outputting via USB to a Pyle stereo amplifier. I've selected monitor 1 and monitor 2 for output from Reaper, and I get no sound. USB audio appears to working fine (both speakers, stereo) with youtube etc.

Thank you so much for your help.

minstrel
06-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Today's update on the issue:

The Scarlett Mix Control is picking up both mics perfectly and we can hear both through the headphones via the Scarlett. We believe the problem regarding getting sound out of the speakers is with Reaper settings. We see mic 1's input on the meters in Reaper, but not mic 2. All tracks remain stereo even though we have Mono selected on the record button right-click options. So, what other settings do we need to check in Reaper options? There are so many settings in Reaper....

Pickasso
06-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Have you tried:
options/preferences/device/enable inputs/
drag the 'last' button all the way down.

Now go back to the session, more input options should now appear on every record enabled track.

minstrel
06-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks, Pickasso. I checked and, yes, Enable inputs is checked and is set to Mic 1 and Mic 2. Output range is set to Mon 1 and Mon 2. We have tried different options in here.

We are now getting metering on both mics and we are also getting headphones sound of both mics with headphones plugged directly into the Scarlett. No sound via headphones or speaker out of Reaper.

However, I hear with headphones and speakers sound from youtube, etc., so the speaker/headphones setup is fine for general laptop use.

Pickasso
06-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Another possibility is the routing settings in Scarlett MixControl.

I have a Saffire pro 14, so it may be different for the Scarlett, but there are many options for different setups. Check:

1) Reaper has the proper output enabled (enable all the Scarlett if you're not sure)
2) In mixcontrol, both monitor and headphone mix have DAW unmuted (if unsure, unmute everything)

Does playback in Reaper work? After recording a test track?

Example screenshot attached

Beenjamin
06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm having a similar problem with my new Scarlett 18i10. I have a mic plugged into input 1 and a guitar amp plugged into input 5. When I enable direct monitoring through mixcontrol I can hear both inputs. However, in reaper I can get a signal from input 1 without a problem, but input 5 does not register a signal even though the corresponding track is record enabled.

I'm using the focusrite asio driver. I wonder if these issues are be related.

minstrel
06-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Another possibility is the routing settings in Scarlett MixControl.

I have a Saffire pro 14, so it may be different for the Scarlett, but there are many options for different setups. Check:

1) Reaper has the proper output enabled (enable all the Scarlett if you're not sure)
2) In mixcontrol, both monitor and headphone mix have DAW unmuted (if unsure, unmute everything)

Does playback in Reaper work? After recording a test track?

Example screenshot attached

Thanks, Pickasso. Output range in Reaper is set to Mon. 1 and Mon. 2. I see no Scarlett options. The only place I can select the Scarlett is the ASIO Driver. That is set to Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver.

In the Scarlett Mix Control, nothing is muted.

Playback in Reaper works only via the headphones connected to the Scarlett. The speakers do not produce sound via Reaper. The monitor system does work, but not from Reaper. That is the problem, and I can only hear playback via headphones connected to the Scarlett.

It seems to be a routing problem, perhaps a conflict between Reaper, Scarlett, and the laptop. I'm on Windows 7 Pro on an Asus laptop. Everything is hooked up via USB - no analog.

I am recording now. That part of the setup is working. I have great headphone monitoring via the Scarlett.