PDA

View Full Version : No sound

gepay
02-06-2014, 10:15 PM
I have no sound. No action in the mixer. I have Phonic firefly 808 USB in so Option/preferences, Audio device settings is set to ASIO and firefly driver is recognized, inputs and outputs enabled. Creating audio track Line1/2Line(1)L shows up where my mic is plugged into firefly.
Thinkpad T400 (Win 7 - 64bit) in Sound shows firefly inputs. The microphone goes through the firefly to powered speakers and makes sound.
Nothing happens though in the mixer panel of Reaper whether audio or midi.
It doesn't help to have record armed
Not really understanding I fooled with the i/o and got some response in the mixer panel track one formerly an audio mic when it morphed into a midi response from an Apro300 midi controller/keyboard but there was still no sound. There is no response on mixer when I add ReaSynth track with MIDI Apro midi in Channel 1, with Apro set to channel one or with virtual keyboard which appears to respond but no level response in mixer - no sound. The Apro worked with the Sonar LE that came with it but I didn't like what little they give you with Sonar LE and thought I try Reaper. The Apro plays virtual instruments in Pro tools. I have hate/love relationship with Pro tool M-powered 8.
I imported a bass midi onto a track. It showed up but will not play. In fact the transport doesn't seem to act right.

DarkStar
02-07-2014, 02:51 AM
Hello gepay and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information.

Back to basics ...

Check that you have set up your audio and MIDI devices in Reaper's Preferences. Please post screenshots of the the Preferences / Audio / Device and MIDI Devices windows.

Start a new project. Drag a .wav sample onto a track and click the Play button. If the Play cursor is not moving then, generally, there is a problem with the audio interface connection. If it is moving, you should see the track meter move and hear the sample.

Please post back with the outcome. Then we can go to the next step.

gepay
02-09-2014, 11:25 PM
thx for responding Explain how to create/use screenshots and post them in the forum.
I now have the mix window responding and playback working but no sound.
I switched audio device settings to WASAPI and used the laptop speakers for the output device and got sound so the problem seems to be with the laptop and phonic - not really a reaper problem I guess.
The firefly shows up in control panel/devices. It shows up in device manager as working properly. It shows up in control panel/sound I have the lines 1-2 as the default output. However the test function shows action happening but no sound - occasionally when I first turn on or plug into another port the test function will go through the firefly and sound on the external powered monitors but soon disappears. I have the latest drivers for the phonic installed. Phonic hasn't replied to me. I have tried earlier drivers that worked on XP but only get sound as above with WASAPI but not WDM Kernal streaming which gives me - "there was an errorwhile opening your audio hardware" when I hit play. Responses but no sound with Wave out. Wait, sound when I make the laptop speakers the output with Wave out.
I am getting a cheap maudio mtrack (small and portable) in a day or two as I need more than laptop speakers and also want to use laptop live + microphones different than the laptop mic but used the headphones output to aux in on powered speakers. But latency using ReaSynth and Apro300 in Wave out. no discernable latency using WASAPI
do let me know how to use screenshots in the forum as I know I will have more problems unless something radically changes in my life .
now on to how to import VSTi's into Reaper. I have tried before but will try again.

DarkStar
02-10-2014, 03:56 AM
I now have the mix window responding and playback working but no sound.

I switched audio device settings to WASAPI and used the laptop speakers for the output device and got sound so the problem seems to be with the laptop and phonic - not really a reaper problem I guess.
I don't know about WASAPI, but ASIO should be OK. Chase up Phonic.

I am getting a cheap maudio mtrack (small and portable) in a day or two as I need more than laptop speakers and also want to use laptop live + microphones different than the laptop mic but used the headphones output to aux in on powered speakers. But latency using ReaSynth and Apro300 in Wave out. No discernable latency using WASAPI That M-Audio may well be better.

do let me know how to use screenshots in the forum as I know I will have more problems unless something radically changes in my life .
-- take a scrennshot (PrtScn)
-- paste it into MS Paint
-- edit / crop / annotate it
-- save to disk.

Upload it, to an Image Server: ImageShack, imgur, to name but too. Put a link to the image in your reply,
now on to how to import VSTi's into Reaper. I have tried before but will try again. Take it one step at a time (and one VSTi at a time) and you should be OK.

PS Please break your posts into paragraphs, people are more likely to respond if the text is easy to read.