PDA

View Full Version : Asio4all and Xonar D2X

Psyoletic
07-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Evening folks,

I'm at a loss at the moment as I've tried everything to get Reaper to receive the signal. It works fine set up with Direct Sound however the latency is far too great and I want to use the monitor playback whilst I record.

I researched online that Asio4all is the next best thing but I cannot for the life of me get it to work.

I've attached my setup so I hope it's just a amateur mistake, I tried the Audio Wave In and all I got a wall of sound.

Thanks in return,

Psyoletic

hopi
07-27-2014, 12:53 PM
now is it just me and old eyes or are people lately posting images too small to see any real details? I can't read this one.

ivansc
07-27-2014, 02:24 PM
No - we have all changed to 96 inch monitors.

:D

Psyoletic
07-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Sorry my bad!

http://imagizer.**************/v2/280x200q90/540/maP25d.png (http://***************/f/f0maP25dp)

Here you go!

Psyoletic

paulheu
07-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Frankly and IMNOSVHO (go figure that one out..)

Asio4All should be banned and utterly erased from existence. It is more trouble then good. Buy a decent audio interface and go play..

You're basically trying to squeeze orange juice from a lemon.. Not going to happen.

Schlyder
07-30-2014, 05:39 AM

Asio4All should be banned and utterly erased from existence. It is more trouble then good. Buy a decent audio interface and go play..

Your frankly trying to squeeze orange juice from a lemon.. Not going to happen.

I don't like Asio4all either. I use a Zoom R24 for my interface, and I am using the WASAPI driver in my set up. I have very low latency with it. Lower than with the Asio4all.

Psyoletic
07-30-2014, 10:53 AM

You're basically trying to squeeze orange juice from a lemon.. Not going to happen.

I don't like Asio4all either. I use a Zoom R24 for my interface, and I am using the WASAPI driver in my set up. I have very low latency with it. Lower than with the Asio4all.

Thanks for the input, I've looked on online and a few forums pointed out ASIO4ALL and in all honesty I'm a novice to sound production. You mention WASAPI I'll have to try it!

I was kinda hoping that my Asus D2X would live up to the job being as its a £80 sound card. Nevermind eh?

Thanks again.

paulheu
07-30-2014, 03:08 PM
I just checked the manual and the Xonar D2X actually has ASIO drivers so why try and use asio4all in the first place??!

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Audio_Card/E7808_Xonar_D2X.pdf page 51

Psyoletic
08-02-2014, 09:47 AM
I just checked the manual and the Xonar D2X actually has ASIO drivers so why try and use asio4all in the first place??!

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Audio_Card/E7808_Xonar_D2X.pdf page 51

I've just tried it, set it up properly and works fantastically well! Thanks for pointing that out for me ;)

Rick Settle
08-02-2014, 05:11 PM
now is it just me and old eyes or are people lately posting images too small to see any real details? I can't read this one.

I can't read it either. Even on a 27" monitor.

drumphil
08-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately the Xonar cards are useless for low latency work. The asio drivers are only really present as a marketing tool for audiophiles who think it will get them better sound, and to trick musicians into thinking they can get a cheap low latency audio device.

From the Xonar D2X manual:

ASIO™ (Audio Stream Input Output) is a proprietary audio driver architecture and a trademark of Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH. The Xonar D2X driver package has included an ASIO2 compatible driver for application programs that have ASIO or ASIO2 output. ASIO can ensure lower latency during playback and recording on PCs, which is very important for professional music creation and editing. The Xonar D2X package also provides Ableton Live and Sonar LE audio editing software, which all support ASIO output. The setup reference is described below.

They neglected to add: "By the way, our card is incapable of running at low enough latency for any of that to actually matter."

Fuck you Asus. Everyone should do their own research when buying anything, but I hate to think how many people got one of these as a cheap home recording option with ASIO drivers, only to find out they are useless. A quick search of the asus forums suggests that this is true.

Heck, you get 500ms input latency monitoring from the mic input through the xonar mixer! Even realtek performs much better than this.