PDA

View Full Version : play live drum on PC keyboard

Prophet
11-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi All,
newbie here, please advice. I just got my Reaper and EZdrummer work after following the wonderful tutorial I read here.

I was thinking, is it possible to play live drum through PC keyboard. I know it would be very ugly touch feel, but it suppose full of fun.

so...
bass drum on "space bar"
close hi-hat on "F button"
snare on "J button"
etc...

any suggestion how to make it happen? what any software or plug in or driver I should install on my XP windows?

your comment is very valuable for me.

thanks!

tantamo
11-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi. I've tried using my keyboard to play live drum parts into fruity loops, and there was so much lag I had to stop. It may work better in reaper though.

You don't need any special drivers or anything I don't think, you just need to set the input for the track to either all midi inputs or virtual keyboard, then enable the virtual keyboard (alt+B). Then your keyboard should also work as a midi controller.

I don't know anything about ezdrummer, but if it works like a normal drum sampler this should work.

You might also want to try using the mouse, I've played drums on some songs with just the virtual keyboard and it turned out pretty well and was fun. But you can only really have a very simple kick/snare beat with that method.

Prophet
11-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Hi. I've tried using my keyboard to play live drum parts into fruity loops, and there was so much lag I had to stop. It may work better in reaper though.

You don't need any special drivers or anything I don't think, you just need to set the input for the track to either all midi inputs or virtual keyboard, then enable the virtual keyboard (alt+B). Then your keyboard should also work as a midi controller.

I don't know anything about ezdrummer, but if it works like a normal drum sampler this should work.

You might also want to try using the mouse, I've played drums on some songs with just the virtual keyboard and it turned out pretty well and was fun. But you can only really have a very simple kick/snare beat with that method.

Hi Tantamo,
could you please tell me in very simple step by step how to use the virtual keyboard on Reaper. I am not even able to use the virtual keyboard. I can bring up the virtual keyboard, but when I click it, nothing happen.
sorry, I am very newbie here...

thanks!

JohnB47
11-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Example of using the virtual keyboard in Reaper (not specific to drums):

Insert a new track (e.g. Ctrl+T)
Pull down the lower edge of the track Control Panel (TCP) to see all of the controls.
Right click on the little button marked 'In' and select Monitor Recording, then click on it again and select Midi Input/Virtual Midi Keyboard/All Channels.
Click on View and choose Show Virtual Midi Keyboard.
Left click on the IO button on the TCP and in the Midi Hardware Output window, choose your internal synth (it's called "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth" on mine).
Arm the track by clicking on the red button marked R on the TCP.
Now when you click on the keys in the keyboard, you'll hear the internal synths attempt at creating a piano sound. Also, some of the notes can be played using the real keyboard, as shown on the keys in Virtual keyboard (expand it to see this more clearly)
That's the basics of using the Virtual/Real keyboard to create sounds. Record them by clicking on the record button or Ctrl+R.

To create drum sounds you'd need to turn off the Midi Hardware Output setting and instead load a VSTi plugin that would create the drum sound for each virtual/real keyboard click/touch.

Others will help better than I with getting Reaper to produce drum sounds.

I hope that helps.

Prophet
11-24-2007, 09:06 PM

Pull down the lower edge of the track Control Panel (TCP) to see all of the controls.
Right click on the little button marked 'In' and select Monitor Recording, then click on it again and select Midi Input/Virtual Midi Keyboard/All Channels.
Left click on the IO button on the TCP and in the Midi Hardware Output window, choose your internal synth (it's called "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth" on mine).
Now when you click on the keys in the keyboard, you'll hear the internal synths attempt at creating a piano sound. Also, some of the notes can be played using the real keyboard, as shown on the keys in Virtual keyboard (expand it to see this more clearly)
That's the basics of using the Virtual/Real keyboard to create sounds. Record them by clicking on the record button or Ctrl+R.

To create drum sounds you'd need to turn off the Midi Hardware Output setting and instead load a VSTi plugin that would create the drum sound for each virtual/real keyboard click/touch.

I hope that helps.

Hi John,
you said "Pull down the lower edge of the track Control Panel (TCP)".

which lower edge....? I can not follow. Please advise...

thanks!

Prophet
11-24-2007, 09:18 PM

I hope that helps.

Hi John,
please forget my question about TCP. I got it.
Another question...

In my Midi Hardware Input, I got "no output". What wrong with my laptop? FYI, I am using "asio4all driver" since my laptop sound card is integrated Sigmatel.

please advise...
thank you.

Prophet
11-25-2007, 02:50 AM
So...after browse this howto forum... I finally make it sounded.

here what I did :
1.open a new project in Reaper
2.insert a new track
3.click "fx" and pick VSTi:Dfh Sampler (equal to EZdrummer) and wait till it loaded.
4.left click "R" to Record arm
5.left click "speaker icon" to Record Monitoring : ON
6.right click "in" go to /Midi Input and go to /Virtual Midi keyboard and pick All Channels.
7.click alt+b to open Virtual Midi Keyboard

here we go... you can here the sound when you type on you PC Keyboard.

Still looking for how to map the PC keyboard for certain key note. ;)
Report some more when I get more.

JohnB47
11-25-2007, 05:53 AM
Hi again. Sorry I didn't get back to you on time but I see you got there anyway - Reaper is a really interesting program isn't it?

Now time for me to ask you a question. What did you mean by "3.click "fx" and pick VSTifh Sampler (equal to EZdrummer)"

What is "VSTifh Sampler" (actually a smiley face is there on the original name, in place of the "i").

Good luck.

Prophet
11-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi again. Sorry I didn't get back to you on time but I see you got there anyway - Reaper is a really interesting program isn't it?

Now time for me to ask you a question. What did you mean by "3.click "fx" and pick VSTifh Sampler (equal to EZdrummer)"

What is "VSTifh Sampler" (actually a smiley face is there on the original name, in place of the "i").

Good luck.

yeah... that smiley face created because the automatic ":D".... please ignore... it just typo...
I should put a space bar between ":" and "D". so it should be :
"3. click "fx" and pick VSTi: Dfh Sampler (Toontrack)(16 out)"

my bad.... :)

JohnB47
11-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi.

Thanks for that.

I was still unsure what you meant so I Googled for "Dfh Sampler" and found the Toontrack site. I see that there are free downloads e.g. EZplayerfree. If I download that would it act as a VSTi in Reaper and provide me with some drum samples? Is that what you did, or did you purchase something from them?

Cheers.

Prophet
11-26-2007, 02:12 AM
Hi.

Thanks for that.

I was still unsure what you meant so I Googled for "Dfh Sampler" and found the Toontrack site. I see that there are free downloads e.g. EZplayerfree. If I download that would it act as a VSTi in Reaper and provide me with some drum samples? Is that what you did, or did you purchase something from them?

Cheers.

ups... I thought you were familiar with Dfh Sampler. Sorry for that. I mean EZ Drummer from Toontrack. You have to purchase that. It is a vsti plugin, produce a drum sampling on midi software like Reaper.

best,
Daniel

JohnB47
11-26-2007, 03:31 AM
Thanks for that.

d the s
09-26-2009, 02:26 AM
BOSS,

i am using reaper trail version.( and i am learning it ) i have downloaded midi keyboard and midi rythm pad from net. now the reaper and midi keyboard and rythm pad are in my desk top. (the midi keyboard and rythm pad have channels.i do not know how to use it). kindly advice me how to connect, and record these instruments......awaiting..
doublethestrength@gmail.com