PDA

View Full Version : Jamming etiquette

jgfunk
08-22-2005, 06:16 AM
I have been on a few jams on NINJAM. I thoroughly enjoy them when some structure exists. However, -and this is incredibly annoying!!!-I don't really enjoy 4 different distorted guitar leads playing simultaneously at max speed. It just doesn't do it for me, and, really, it is musically disrespectful in most situations.

Also, please, check your levels and adjust them to the mix/level of the jam before you join in- it's not that hard. You can connect without transmitting (or connect to another test server), then when your levels aren't ear-shattering, connect...

As in a live performance jam, it would be great if:
-Somebody starts with a groove/chord structure that repeats for a few bars, so people can figure out the chords, join in, etc...
-Anybody that joins in initially plays something simple and complementary to the groove/chord structure (not just blasting in with the speed-metal distorted lead guitar...)
-Once the groove is set, the originator of the groove starts soloing, and stops when done, rejoining the rhythm or chord structure.
-Once this happens, someone else can take a lead, and so on...This general set-up will likely make for a much more enjoyable experience for all involved, and you'll also get to listen to everybody play (did I mention LISTEN?).

-Also somebody mentioned a limiter for each channel on a different thread- that would be a GREAT idea to protect people's ears from ungodly sudden and unexpected volume levels in the middle of a jam from testosterone boy with his 10 Marshall stacks cranked to 11...( a total volume of 110 if you do the math...)

Those are a few of my impressions after a few weeks on NINJAM...

benbakelaar
08-22-2005, 09:24 PM
howdy jgfunk, fellow JAMmer... glad to see an attempt to explain/request some simple etiquette. i had much the same complaint in another thread. also, i know i added to a discussion about volume limiting, it's a great idea and one i hope that can be implemented.

i think what would be nice, once this app moves beyond alpha phase, is for the dev page to be separate from the users page, and right smack dab in the middle of the users page should be the generally agreed upon rules of jamming etiquette. GAUROJE for short. i'm sure someone could come up with a catchier acronym.