PDA

View Full Version : Sansamp and Roctron vs Amp VSTs

charles.monteiro
05-02-2008, 01:35 AM
I have a SansAmp PSA-1 and a Rocktron Intelliflex - LTD . I have not been using them since I'm so focused now on recording and also the advent of the VG-99 that brings to the table synth capabilities etc. Having said that I did/do love the sound I got from them especially when I ran them thru an ADA microcab.

My issue though is that I wonder how these compare to the GearBox and Revalver's out there as far as to tone, if they do, then the question would be if the use of them thru ReaInsert would make them as versatile.

Any opinions ?

thanks

susbemol
05-02-2008, 02:59 AM
Hi Charles,

I have found that for my personal tone & taste (either a just "breaking up" or very clean jazz archtop tones) I just can't beat either my regular amp or my most recent purchase, a Hughes & Kettner Crunch Master (paid 50 for it - a complete steal!). Revalver gets me pretty much there but I am not sure I want to invest the money and spend A LOT of time (which I think is required) programing that when I should be making music.

The most beautiful thing about the H&K Crunch Master is that it is a real 1 watt valve amp with a built-in speaker load & cab simulator as well as many other output options. What this means to me is that I can have the power amp out going straight into my audio interface and then load different cab impulses with kefir to achieve different sounds. I have so far been really happy with the tone I am getting. Real valves cooking and I don't need to have a cab plugged in (although it also sounds wonderful plugged into my cab).

I can perhaps post a couple of sound samples when I get a chance next.

Perhaps you should also post a few samples and tell us more about what type of sound you are after?

susbemol
05-02-2008, 03:02 AM
PS: I forgot to also mention that, in my particular case, I actually find that having just *my sounds* (and not all the million others you can get from software) actually helps me with productivity and the makes the whole experience more enjoyable.

I already find it frustrating enough playing & listening through so many of my synth sounds to find the one I want... I really don't want to do the same for my guitar when I don't have to!

charles.monteiro
05-02-2008, 06:24 AM
PS: I forgot to also mention that, in my particular case, I actually find that having just *my sounds* (and not all the million others you can get from software) actually helps me with productivity and the makes the whole experience more enjoyable.

I already find it frustrating enough playing & listening through so many of my synth sounds to find the one I want... I really don't want to do the same for my guitar when I don't have to!

I agree, having a few "go to" guitar patches is essential. On the other hand, tho, an amp plugin allows you to defer the commitment to sound to mix/production time. Obviously, why many use amp plugins but I keep looking up at my rack and see my SansAmp/Roctron combo which I ran through my Rivera amp and just recollect how great it sounded, not that I can complain about the Line 6 GearBox plugin too much, just that I wonder :)

but I don't want to loose the versatility so I will have to try ReaInsert, just thought somebody might have already.

As far as to tones, well just about everything and that very much includes the layering of sounds. I have a VG-99 and therefore the GR-300 synth sounds are included in the pallete, which I hookup to via Godin 2 voice and 3 voice guitars. My goal is to obtain just the right multi-voice guitar blend for a particular tune.

As far as to the type of guitar tone , it goes from fiery hot leads to mellow acoustic. On the acoustic front I have an Ovation ADM series and a Godin Nylon SA and plan to treat myself for my birthday to the new Godin Spectrum , a 3 voice steel string.

I'm a fan of Al DiMeola and pretty much because he will go from one end of the spectrum to the other i.e. acoustic to warm to hot distortion. Also his type of music which is very much a blend of latin and world music appeal to me.

Finally, I also like Pat Metheny, a great guitar player, but in particular for their inventiveness in the production of their albums in which they blend guitar and synths/samples very artfully. Probably what got me looking into Spectrasonic's Atmosphere and Stylus RMX.

Anyhow , long winded way of trying to relate what "sounds" I'm into, thank you for waiting :)

susbemol
05-06-2008, 06:03 AM
Hi Charles,

After reading your last post a couple of times, I am still not sure what it is that you are after tonewise? :confused: I suppose so many different types of sound could fall into the categories you described!

I am very familiar with the artists you mentioned above (have lots of CDs & DVDs of their stuff) and in particular Metheny, who I have and still have been learning lots from.

I suppose you do know that you can use a DI box, for instance, and split the signal from your guitar sending it to both a "hardware" amp and your soundcard? You can even monitor both the real amp and whatever amp sim you want to use at the same time.

There are so many ways of achieving guitar tones nowadays, it can get a bit silly. I try to keep things simple as I don't do this for a living and have very limited time for recording.

The solution I explained above (running my amp into my soundcard and loading a speaker simulator (impulses) in REAPER) seems to be pretty much what I have always wanted. I can't see myself changing this little setup anytime soon. I might get at some point a Palmer PDI-03 or PGA04 so that I can do the same with any other valve amps as well. The rest is in the fingers... (hopefully!) :D

scottdru
05-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Charles,

From looking at your website and checking out the "Friends" link, it turns out we have some friends in common!

I've worked with Jon Raney and Ed Fuqua, and Peter Karl was the engineer for a good chunk of the last record I was on (I LOVE his studio, btw!).

Ed is probably the one I know the best . . . he's an absolute sweetheart of a guy. :)

dub3000
05-07-2008, 06:31 AM
slightly off-topic, but the sansamp bass driver di is pretty special (i use it with an old boss compressor pedal, zero effort and it works great)

charles.monteiro
05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Charles,

From looking at your website and checking out the "Friends" link, it turns out we have some friends in common!

I've worked with Jon Raney and Ed Fuqua, and Peter Karl was the engineer for a good chunk of the last record I was on (I LOVE his studio, btw!).

Ed is probably the one I know the best . . . he's an absolute sweetheart of a guy. :)

that's funny, Ed is really a nice guy and great bass player. I've known Jon by far the longest, lives a few blocks from me. Talented Jazz pianist/composer. I hanged out at Jon's last recording session which is where I met Peter. I agree , great studio.

charles.monteiro
05-07-2008, 09:57 PM
slightly off-topic, but the sansamp bass driver di is pretty special (i use it with an old boss compressor pedal, zero effort and it works great)

I have it. Some of the techs at Rudy's music shop turned me on to it i.e. me not being a bass player per se I was asking around for a good DI. Want to try to ReaInsert it as well into Reaper, and yes great sounding unit.

charles.monteiro
05-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi Charles,

After reading your last post a couple of times, I am still not sure what it is that you are after tonewise? :confused: I suppose so many different types of sound could fall into the categories you described!

we went off a bit on a tangent as far as to tone, basically I want great tone but I want to stay loose :) i.e. I want the versatility of a plugin.

My OP was more about whether anybody has tried "inlining" a SansAmp PSA-1 , which has been very widely used, into their DAW whether Reaper and anything else and how it compared to the current amp sim plugins.

7string
05-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Charles, try using the SansAmp / Intellifex with ReValver or Amplitube. Insert just a power amp and speaker cab module. It is easily as good as the MicroCab. (I have one too).

charles.monteiro
05-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Charles, try using the SansAmp / Intellifex with ReValver or Amplitube. Insert just a power amp and speaker cab module. It is easily as good as the MicroCab. (I have one too).

thanks, basically a similar solution to using a tube amp's DI out I guess, such as what was suggested before. Good to know that its as good as a MicroCab, I thought that the MicroCab had some pretty interesting unique sounds mever mind actual cab sims.

Seems nobody has used a SansAmp via ReaInsert or possibly with ProTools which has similar capabilities to ReaInsert? Have to add trying it to my techie . non-musical to do items :)