PDA

View Full Version : Well Well Well, this pretty good stuff

littlethumb
11-24-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm impressed with this software, i think it is one the first one the web ! At least, i've be waiting for it for quite a while. It has a few bugs, but since it is a alpha version it is quit understandable. I was wondering, will it be possible in the future to play in real time, and not with a one measure latency ? That what would be awsome ! It would mean live improvisation without having to stick to a grid, almost like in a studio ? I only hope i won't have to come back on earth

Riggzy
12-23-2005, 04:39 PM
This is unfortunatley a technical impossibility =/

Sending 64kb of information a second cross-continental takes a few milliseconds as it is, then add a few more for encoding/decoding, etc etc... and not all the packets arrive in the same order, so it stutters! :P

Well, one solution would be to buy everyone dedicated 64kbps lines connecting everyones houses, but i don't see that happening any time soon :P

If you play a MIDI instrument, there is another service called eJamming or something that is supposedly realtime - since you are only sending the other computers "Hey, I just played a D sharp minor seventh!", and then the audio is being generated on the other people's computers, it's a lot less information to send than the actual audio.

Of course, there's always time-shifted music collaboration - see www.myvirtualband.com - where someone records a track / tracks, uploads them, someone listens to them, records something over the top, oploads their track (isolated), etc etc untill a final mix is made. It takes a while as you can imagine, but the results are good.

Oh well, I'll probably look back on this post in 10 years when we're all driving hovercars and taking 8 megapixel pictures with our cell phones and laugh ;)