PDA

View Full Version : Play live with Ninjam

Dan Solo
08-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi,

I read on Ninjam that "the inherent latency of the Internet prevents true realtime synchronization of the jam, and playing with latency is weird (and often uncomfortable)". Also "Limitations of note: sound hardware latency (>5ms), perceptual CODEC latency (>20ms), plus typical and theoretical network latency (>40ms)."

I'd like to play live online and see how "uncomfortable" it is. Can I use Ninjam to do this?

Thanks

killerqueen
08-28-2006, 12:47 PM
You mean you want to turn off the latencey that Ninjam adds?
I shouldn't imagine you can do it. You could try setting BPI to "0".

Just trust the people who've tried making it work `live`- no way hosay that you're going to get that to be playable. Try recording a few tracks in reaper/cubase/whatever. Then put them all about 65ms out of sync with each other. (or 130ms- remember: sound from the other guy takes time to get back to you too, so reletavely speaking you're that much out of sinc with each other I believe.) Thats what it would sound like `live`. It don't sound good...

Dan Solo
08-29-2006, 05:41 AM
In fact, my problem is the following: The Keyboard player of my band is leaving our home city and we'd like to continue practicing with him on a regular basis. We're four members in the home studio (drum, bass, guitar and vocal) + one member, far away... (The keyboard player).

We are playing songs with a lot of dynamics, signature, tempo changes, etc. So, we really need something as close as possible from realtime synchronization. Is there a solution to our problem? If we (the members in the home studio) are making abstraction of the latency of the keyboard, maybe it would be ok for him at the other end?

Is there a way we could use Skype for this?

Thanks for any help!

LOSER
08-29-2006, 06:18 AM
In fact, my problem is the following: The Keyboard player of my band is leaving our home city and we'd like to continue practicing with him on a regular basis. We're four members in the home studio (drum, bass, guitar and vocal) + one member, far away... (The keyboard player).

We are playing songs with a lot of dynamics, signature, tempo changes, etc. So, we really need something as close as possible from realtime synchronization. Is there a solution to our problem? If we (the members in the home studio) are making abstraction of the latency of the keyboard, maybe it would be ok for him at the other end?

Is there a way we could use Skype for this?

Thanks for any help!

Does He Have A MIDI Keyboard? - 'Cause There Is Some Other Software From Another Vendor (sry Cockos), Doing This Live, But Only With MIDI.

Dan Solo
08-30-2006, 06:28 AM
Yes, we could use a midi keyboard, but it seem we should also invest in a midi bass, a midi guitar and a midi drum pad ($$$)? And what about the vocals?

Could we run 2 applications simultaneously? One for audio and another for Midi?

Thanks

LOSER
08-31-2006, 06:03 AM
Yes, we could use a midi keyboard, but it seem we should also invest in a midi bass, a midi guitar and a midi drum pad ($$$)? And what about the vocals?

Could we run 2 applications simultaneously? One for audio and another for Midi?

Thanks

Okay, Well Didn't Thought All The Way Through, Only Thought The Way From The Keyboard Player To You, So This Isn't A Solution At All, Sorry For The Missleading :(

tbfx
09-03-2006, 02:54 PM
ISDN lines (used as audio not data) might give you
lower latency over switched IP.

Here is an interesting discussion of how you
can use a digital delay to resync signals as
you record. (im not sure it helps the rest of
the band from having to listen to the out of
sync keys though.)

http://www.digifon.com/DealWithDelay.html

oh...

Solution 2. new keyboard player = 0 latency.