PDA

View Full Version : Any Ultra Edit Users? "Hello World!"

Rednroll
08-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Hey Guys, I'm taking my 1st baby steps into the coding world. I'm currently learning C and then from there going onto C++.

So as of now I've decided to start using UltraEdit as my Source Code Editor. The main reason for this choice is because I work with a bunch of software engineers and a lot of them use Ultra Edit, so if I have any questions a lot of my answers are just walking distance away.

I originally looked at UltraEdit32 and then decided having a separate compiler and Debugger was a bit tedious to work with. So then I discovered UEStudio which is just UltraEdit which allows you to integrate a compiler and debugger.

So my next question is what compiler should I use...or doesn't it matter? I just installed Borland C++ compiler v5.5 since it was free and I seem to have that working with UEStudio..(ie I compiled "Hello World!" and ran it from within UEStudio). Now what about a "Debugger"? Do I need one? I just downloaded "WinDbg" since that was free...but will it work with the Borland compiler? Am I headed in the wrong direction?

Any suggestions to steer a noob in the right direction?

Rednroll
08-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Damn, this is getting frustrating. I set everything up on one computer and it works. Then today, I try to set it up my laptop and I keep getting a compiler error with the Borland C++ compiler. So now I think I'm looking for another compiler, because this stuff is just too hard for me to figure out why sh*t just don't work.

So any recommended compilers for compiling simple starter C code, so I can get into the learning of the code process instead of dinking around with just trying to get the IDE setup so that it compiles? Today, I spent about 4 hours trying to trouble shoot some cow32.obj compile error message.

Rednroll
08-05-2008, 06:31 PM
So does anyone know where I can download the Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler from?

Right now, I'm reading thru this:
http://www.ultraedit.com/support/tutorials_power_tips/uestudio/create_your_first_app.html

but right now, I have no idea of what to download to be able to install the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler that they're talking about.

schwa
08-05-2008, 06:56 PM
You can get the MS C++ compiler as part of the free VC++ Express package here: http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

Rednroll
08-05-2008, 07:20 PM
You can get the MS C++ compiler as part of the free VC++ Express package here: http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

Thanks!!! It figures, I already had a browser tabbed view of that link open...but I just wasn't sure if that's what I needed or not.

nightwreck
08-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Hey Guys, I'm taking my 1st baby steps into the coding world. I'm currently learning C and then from there going onto C++.

So as of now I've decided to start using UltraEdit as my Source Code Editor. The main reason for this choice is because I work with a bunch of software engineers and a lot of them use Ultra Edit, so if I have any questions a lot of my answers are just walking distance away.

I originally looked at UltraEdit32 and then decided having a separate compiler and Debugger was a bit tedious to work with. So then I discovered UEStudio which is just UltraEdit which allows you to integrate a compiler and debugger.

So my next question is what compiler should I use...or doesn't it matter? I just installed Borland C++ compiler v5.5 since it was free and I seem to have that working with UEStudio..(ie I compiled "Hello World!" and ran it from within UEStudio). Now what about a "Debugger"? Do I need one? I just downloaded "WinDbg" since that was free...but will it work with the Borland compiler? Am I headed in the wrong direction?

Any suggestions to steer a noob in the right direction?

What do you do at work? Since you work with a bunch of software engineer and you don't know coding at all? Just curious. But ya just like Schwa says just download VS Express.