PDA

View Full Version : 2.45rc2 - "stop playback at end of time selection" broken

Art Evans
08-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Basically, if "stop playback at end of time selection" is in force, I notice that playback actually continues past the end of the selection for about half a second. There's a clear difference between what you hear when playing looped or not looped.

Justin
08-25-2008, 10:32 AM
hmm testing here it seems to work fine.. what blocksize are you running at?

Dstruct
08-25-2008, 10:36 AM
don't know if it's related, but as soon as use plugins with latency, i'll have to experience strange sounds when stopping playback too. sort of a delay/echo. very strange.

Bevosss
08-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Basically, if "stop playback at end of time selection" is in force, I notice that playback actually continues past the end of the selection for about half a second. There's a clear difference between what you hear when playing looped or not looped.

It's working fine here too.

Btw Art, you can ditch that preference and use dedicated actions now (for selected items):

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/58602/108726101151-Actions.png

Art Evans
08-25-2008, 05:45 PM
As far as I can see everything in "Buffering" settings is set to default - but the problem goes away if I untick "Anticipative FX processing". I have a distant memory that we've been over this before - I'll search. If that is the culprit, then I guess it would be ideal if the program applied the setting intelligently, so that if playing within a selection and not looping and if prefs set to stop at end of loop, then anticipative FX processing should temporarily be off.

The consequence of playback stopping after the end of the loop is that you could make a split in the wrong place, of course, if you'd judged the location of the end of the loop by means of auditioning with playback stopping there.

BTW installing 2.41 shows the same problem - this is clearly not new.

Art Evans
08-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Bevosss, that action actually removes the loop selection altogether, so it can't be used in this situation, thanks.

Art Evans
08-25-2008, 05:52 PM
If you increase the render-ahead size to say 2000ms the problem becomes very obvious!

Art Evans
08-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Hmmm... perhaps it's the "allow in tracks without FX" setting which is the key thing - if this is unticked, to get accurate playback when editing, turn off the FX button for the track you are working on.

heda
04-14-2015, 06:11 PM
I've found this old thread because I was having this issue right now. It still happens in REAPER 5pre

I want to play a small time selection and stop at the end of the time selection. The playback continues 200ms more which is the render ahead setting in anticipative processing.

The only solution I have found is that it works better if you render stems to a new track and work with it in solo without any FX.

X-Raym
04-15-2015, 04:38 AM
@Heda
Did I just saw the biggest thread bump in the whole cockos forum history ? :D
Well if it is not resolved, it is totally legitimate !

heda
04-16-2015, 03:34 PM
I've seen big bumps too. but that 2.45rc2 in the title is what makes it impressive :D

I just discovered this while doing the karaoke of one song. Testing my karaoke scripts. I created some custom actions too for play previous and next syllable(items) To check the synchronization. But unfortunatelly, if there are FX in the tracks, it will do that and play more than just the item as explained.

The workaround that I am using now is to create enable loop playback on the item. So I can hear the syllable repeatedly, but at least I know where it does start and end.