PDA

View Full Version : Novation Nocturn as control surface

hotdog
10-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Hello everybody,

I was trying to use nocturn as control surface for Reaper via MIDI. It wasn't cool at all - you had to browse lots of pages in Automap software to change the volumes, and you could have only one button functionality on this page. I was so unhappy with it, that I grabbed MSVC++ and wrote my first C++ program - a VST plugin that controls reaper mixer.

Now, three days later, it can control volumes and pans, tracks are browsed via parameter, that is mapped to the nocturn's fader, buttons display track names as their parameter texts, and their function is determined by selected VST program.

Next I would like it to receive notifications about changes in project. All CSurfs use their callback methods in the IReaperSurface, but this would not work for me, as my surface is actually a VST. Surface registration requires instantiation function, but I need to bind to my instance. Surface must be activated via GUI, and that's unnecessary extra step. Anyone has an idea?

Please take following into account:
1. There can be multiple instances of Reaper running.
2. I don't really know C++ and never programmed with Win32 API (I'm Java programmer).

schwa
10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
It's great that you did this! I almost hate to tell you that we've been working with Novation and should have Reaper control support with the next Automap release ...

hotdog
10-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Well, back to Eclipse then :). Is there any estimation on release date? I think I will be able to survive without feedback if it's soon...

Masarin
10-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Ah, Hotdog. Such an effort. Way to go. But maybe a little bit sad that you didn't know about the forthcoming integration... but hey, now you know more about something. At least until you forget it.

Any chance you could share your outcome, or lets say your new breed, from the three day excursion in Win32API-land?

I'm curious.

Thanks,

Jens

hotdog
10-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Masarin: Yes, I thought I would put this files right here, but first I wanted to actually try it on real project. And, unfortunately, calling surface functions in ASIO thread sometimes causes deadlocks :( So there is still long way to go, presumably longer than to next Automap release.

Masarin
10-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Ah, Ok. I understand... and appreciate your effort. :-)
Thanks anyway. I'l wait for the official Reaperized Automap version.

hotdog
10-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Following some of the others Masarin's posts, I realized yeasterday, that there actually is an Automap SDK - such a fail at googling before I started :-O !
I could not live with that, so I adapted the VST interface to Automap and IReaperControlSurface interfaces, and I'm attaching the control surface version that didn't crash in 10 my minute test for the impatient ;).
I'm returning back home from bussiness trip tommorrow, so next days I may not have time to actually add mixer feedback, or correct any bugs that someone might find, so take it as-is :)

Masarin
10-10-2008, 04:17 AM
Hey! Amazing! Worked fine for me too. I'll have a look at the code for some minor extension/tweaking of the layout if you don't mind.

Grrrrreat job. Thanks!

/Jens

hotdog
10-10-2008, 04:25 AM
I'm glad to hear that! Sure, tweak it as you like, that's what the code is there for, as long as you'll share the results.

Klemperer
10-11-2008, 05:01 AM
It's great that you did this! I almost hate to tell you that we've been working with Novation and should have Reaper control support with the next Automap release ...

Nice that it went so fast :).

Masarin
10-23-2008, 03:48 PM

Godday again. Any news regarding the Nocturn support in Reaper? Schwa, heard anything about when the new Automap version might get released? Or maybe I should talk to the Novation support...

Anyway, fantastic work.

/Jens

hotdog
10-24-2008, 02:12 AM
Well, I've got some news. I spent some time implementing surface callbacks and parameter value caching, so it works a little smoother now. Unfortunately, I tested it even less. I spent all the time on coding, so no time left to actually do some mixing :). But you can try if this works for you as well.

Known bugs: Callbacks doesn't work well for buttons. I think this is something trivial, but I didn't have time to figure it out.

Masarin
10-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Ahhhh, great, thanks. I will try it this evening. On a mission to find bugs then. :-)

/Jens

Komuso
11-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Is there any update on the Official Nocturn/Reaper support?

teleute
11-12-2008, 05:44 AM
Looks like just what im after but I couldn't get it to work, where do i need to place the files once extracted?

hotdog
11-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Looks like just what im after but I couldn't get it to work, where do i need to place the files once extracted?

Just put reaper_automap.dll into plugins directory, and add Novation Automap as a control surface.

teleute
11-12-2008, 06:28 AM
ah, i was putting it in the main folder.

cheers I'll try it soon as i get home.

bmanic
11-13-2008, 02:49 AM
Any news on automap support for Reaper from Novation? They don't seem to answer to emails.

Cheers!
bManic

Komuso
11-13-2008, 02:51 AM
bump bump .. bump!

Masarin
11-27-2008, 05:49 PM
bump bump .. bump!

I contacted Novation again and their reply was this:

Hi Jens,

Thanks for the email.

I am afraid I cannot comment on any development. Any new updates will be announced on our website, so please check back in the future.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and patient.

Best regards,

Andy Leung
Novation Support

So... the wait continues.

/Jens

Komuso
11-27-2008, 06:02 PM
ah well, some word is better than no word I guess! ty for the update.