PDA

View Full Version : 2.99 alpha preview 2

Justin
11-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Posted. To get use the l/p at the bottom of the first post of this thread. Please observe the same rules as before:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=28633

Discuss here.

-Justin

schwa
11-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Put this image in your theme image folder for midi note colorization.

Fragile
11-26-2008, 03:45 PM
v2.99.alpha.preview.2 - November 26 2008
+ Improved the way item notes are stored
+ Curve and circle drawing efficiency and appearance improvements
+ MIDI items remember their sync-to-arrange state
+ MIDI editor: themeable colormaps for note velocity and channel
+ About screen effect will scale according to the available CPU power
+ New splash screen
+ Media item properties dialog allows setting item position and length in time or beats
+ Colorthemes have configurable blend modes/opacity for numerous items
+ Colortheme configuration updates
+ dB scales on track meters are now optional
+ Left/right edge adjustment snapping now respects X track-distances like moving
+ Preliminary automation envelope lanes
+ Track record-output modes now obey "Monitor track media when recording" setting
+ Added special case for arcDev ET-200 leaking huge amounts of RAM on stop (still leaks on samplerate changes)
+ Recording is now allowed when tracks are record armed but set to "do not record"

(minor stuff)
+ MIDI editor remembers last directory for note name maps
+ Stray keystrokes won't reset MIDI editor grid
+ Vertical zoom (make all tracks a little smaller or bigger) now on view menu

(bugs from 2.99)
+ Fixed folder issues
+ Fixed looping MIDI issues
+ Fixed render-stems crash
+ Fixed replace-touch recording mode when using PDC
+ Volume fader hiding when tcp width too low
+ Fixed 45degness of folder drawing
+ Fixed project MIDI export (or at least made it less broken)

beatbybit
11-26-2008, 03:45 PM
+ Left/right edge adjustment snapping now respects X track-distances like moving

wooo-hooo-hooooo!!!

megathanks.

+ Added special case for arcDev ET-200 leaking huge amounts of RAM on stop (still leaks on samplerate changes)

!!

:)

Alex Stone
11-26-2008, 04:11 PM
The addition of the new drop down menu for velocity/channel colour switch is indeed welcome.

However, you can't tab to it in turn after channel selection (which seems a natural flow), but at the end of the current tab ME sequence. That continues to be also true for sync to main timeline, and reuse midi editor.

Alex.

beatbybit
11-26-2008, 04:14 PM
bug:

if i press a key while having Snap selected in the ME, all settings will be duplicated, and duplicated, and..

ME keeps all these settings until i close and re-open it.

Mercado_Negro
11-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Many many thanks for fixing this:

+ Fixed folder issues
+ Fixed render-stems crash

and many many many many many many many thanks for:

+ Preliminary automation envelope lanes

You're amazing guys!...

Alex Stone
11-26-2008, 04:35 PM
bug:

if i press a key while having Snap selected in the ME, all settings will be duplicated, and duplicated, and..

ME keeps all these settings until i close and re-open it.

Confirmed

Alex.

schwa
11-26-2008, 04:45 PM

Fixed for the next one, doh.

Tallisman
11-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Wicked! looking forward to it...

fellas lets keep this thread under control!

I'd like to make sure everybody understands the terms:

1) Don't link to landoleet from anywhere, don't redistribute the password or the builds, don't go posting on news sites "REAPER 2.99 is out!" . THIS IS NOT FOR PUBLIC CONSUMPTION.

2) Don't discuss it other than in the Pre-Release forum. This means not in the general discussion forum here, and for the love god, not at KVR.

3) Don't use it for anything critical -- it's a lot of fresh code so who knows how well it'll work.

4) Don't go making judgments on what v3 will be like from this -- this is an early update representing approximately a month of work.. there are easily a couple more months coming.

I know that's a lot of "don't"s, but I wanted to make it clear what we expected.. So here's a couple more things:

5) DO report any reproduceable crashes you get, _IF_ you can't duplicate them in 2.53 and have since tested to confirm that.

6) DO resist complaining about things that are obviously not finished yet.

The login and pass for landoleet.org is 'reaper' / 'yay'.

-Justin (+ Schwa + Christophe)

greetings
.t

bogo
11-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Minor: I love the new splash screen but it's going out too fast. Is there a way to see it without restarting the app? :)

Edit: I was opening a new empty project, that's fine with a bigger one.

nofish
11-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Just had a quick look at the new automation lanes:

Love it!!!
It's one thing I've been waiting for. Thanks a lot.
(Just an idea: Maybe an additional button on the lane (or right click entry) with "show FX" (for quick accessing the GUI of the assigned Vst) could be handy.)

Quote:

Anyone care to explain this?

airon
11-26-2008, 07:21 PM
The most striking to me is the optional display of the dB metering markers. Turning that off just took a load of visual noise out of my screen. Thank you.

It's preliminary stuff but perhaps it's worth a mention. The envelope lanes disappear as the tracks are vertically sized down, either with the action I attached to the mousewheel or the minimize track command.

Fine progress.

nicholas
11-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Put this image in your theme image folder for midi note colorization.

Is my mind playing tricks on me, or did MIDI notes in MIDI editor not used to be different colors for different channels? Seems now they're all the one color regardless ...

On edit: well bugger me, now the colors are just fine again, better than ever in fact! :)

nicholas
11-26-2008, 07:34 PM

Love it!!!

+1 yes it's great! It would be good to have this available as a default setting in Preferences .. or maybe it is and I just can't find it!

Solar
11-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeeeeeeeeees indeed automations line are smoother and nicer! Thanx for this... now we're talking!!!! Bring it on Cockos & J!!!! Great job!!

beatbybit
11-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Quote:

Anyone care to explain this?

nofish,

thats an option in the Snap Settings window. it was broken, i had it set to 0 - but still snapped to every other item start/ends on other tracks - causing lot of unwanted mis-trims, off-grid trims (item starts), etc..

it snaps like a charm now - 0 means the trim edges only snap only to the items on the track im working on. (+ grid + edit cursor)

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=28813

zappsunzorn
11-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Great job!!

Drop down menu under the grid value in the midi editor seems to repeat a few times.

Little black dot does not appear beside beats for position length.

Nobody has mentioned that we now have preliminary true automated parameter trim!!!! Great!!!! I like the way it is implemented!!

riseinside
11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Minor: I love the new splash screen but it's going out too fast. Is there a way to see it without restarting the app? :)

yes that would be cool

Jed
11-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Did the keyboard on the midi editor disappear? I just see numbers.

Heh I was just noticing this too! It stays on numbers regardless here

Cheers
Jed

EDIT: I just noticed that its related to viewing only used rows. If you show all you can change to keys fine DOH!

zappsunzorn
11-26-2008, 09:50 PM
For the automation lanes, could we have another box to select show in a separate lane when we hit the trm button.

zappsunzorn
11-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Heh I was just noticing this too! It stays on numbers regardless here

Cheers
Jed

EDIT: I just noticed that its related to viewing only used rows. If you show all you can change to keys fine DOH!

I edited my original post because I needed to investigate this more. I tried to reproduce this and couldn't, thought it might just be user error.

xackley
11-26-2008, 10:14 PM
For the automation lanes, could we have another box to select show in a separate lane when we hit the trm button.

I was expecting an option right at the top of the context menu on the Automation Button. Even if there is no envelope yet, the automation lane could be displayed and ready for using the automation lane menu to add envelopes.

Also you have to be careful with the vertical zoom level, or all the automation lanes disappear. They should probably be remembered when the zoom level allow them to be visible.

Bevosss
11-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Just to inform anyone using the 'rightclick preference' in editing, you will need to DOUBLE rightclick on the envelope to get the menu, same as on items... just a temporary bug I presume.

Solo in front is still broken 2 subfolders deep or more, a reminder in case it was forgotten/not noted before (I know there was a lot of bugs in that list).

LiquidProj3ct
11-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Ghost Channels/notes please!

http://img379.**************/img379/4935/podiumem7.jpg (http://**************)
http://img379.**************/img379/podiumem7.jpg/1/w586.png (http://g.**************/img379/podiumem7.jpg/1/)

Evan
11-27-2008, 02:14 AM
Minor annoyance... could you make the piano roll keyboard graphics look a little less tilted? (the shadow/light on the black keys more centered)

Spyrow
11-27-2008, 04:37 AM
Big of all, thanks for all this new stuff :D

Second, I've been trying the new transparent features. They work nicely, now you can see better the borders of the item when they overlap.

my question is: could you make the new border clickable when we see it?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/3063500366_3584231fbc_o.jpg

I mean, in this image you can clearly see the border which is above (left one, black border) and you can click and move the edge and the fade.
But if you want to tweak the other edge or fade (right one, no border) you have to previously move the other item out of the way, make your modifications and then return the other item where it was, a bit painful workflow.

Maybe there is another way of dealing with this and I am missing it, don't know.

Spyrow
11-27-2008, 04:39 AM
ups, how do you select the points when in a lane?

SiroVai
11-27-2008, 05:29 AM
Ghost Channels/notes please!

http://img379.**************/img379/4935/podiumem7.jpg (http://**************)
http://img379.**************/img379/podiumem7.jpg/1/w586.png (http://g.**************/img379/podiumem7.jpg/1/)

+1000

Please!

Kainer
11-27-2008, 05:46 AM
selecting of envelopepoints in lanes with click and drag not possible here.
select one with clicking on it is ok.

little graphic bug in running cursor

http://www.screencast.com/users/kainerW/folders/Jing/media/2b18778f-5f9a-4140-b5ec-0b2ff93602c6

automationlanes are really really a great feature. would be cool to have them stay there after resizing the tracks all together.
and to have the option to get them as default (without sending each envelope to a lane)

bernhardtjeff
11-27-2008, 05:57 AM
v2.99.alpha.preview.2 - November 26 2008
+ Added special case for arcDev ET-200 leaking huge amounts of RAM on stop (still leaks on samplerate changes)...

holy crap! this is the bug i reported like a year ago! i'm so glad it's finally been worked on. my life hasn't been the same without et-200! thank you so so much!

Jack Winter
11-27-2008, 06:32 AM
A minor nitpick. Wouldn't it be more logical to display the prefx volume and pan first (before post volume and pan) ?

Ben Zero
11-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Not in the studio today, but can anyone confirm whether - with the introduction of lanes - envelope points now copy with items? This has been a major pain.

Thanks

Ben

jens
11-27-2008, 09:10 AM

Love it!!!
It's one thing I've been waiting for. Thanks a lot.

what do you have to do see them? They look as always to me... :-/

xackley
11-27-2008, 09:15 AM
what do you have to do see them? They look as always to me... :-/

The only way I see so far is to rightclick on an envelope, the option is all the way way down down to the bottom of the context menu.

I would think there would be a tick box in the automation dialog, and the option would be at the very top of the Automation Buttons context list, and a setting to default to automation lane when adding an envelope

Xenakios
11-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Not in the studio today, but can anyone confirm whether - with the introduction of lanes - envelope points now copy with items? This has been a major pain.

Thanks

Ben

No, they don't, sorry...If you're willing to settle for volume, pan and mute automation, you can try using the per-take envelopes which have been around since summer or so. Those will copy with the item when the item is copied.

Ben Zero
11-27-2008, 10:22 AM
No, they don't, sorry...If you're willing to settle for volume, pan and mute automation, you can try using the per-take envelopes which have been around since summer or so. Those will copy with the item when the item is copied.

Sure, I know :) But this doesn't achieve what you want or need in a lot of cases. I'm hoping then that envelopes copying with items will come at some point soon...? It's been a glaring omission for a long time. If envelopes are being overhauled for 3.0, now seems like a great opportunity to get this in :D

Ben

beatbybit
11-27-2008, 10:46 AM
the "center-line" breaks the ENV line, where they are crossed:

http://www.beatbybit.hu/ENV-breaker.png

can you see that there are no automation points?
this isnt just a graphic issue - the Automation follows the ENV line..

schwa
11-27-2008, 11:07 AM
can you see that there are no automation points?
this isnt just a graphic issue - the Automation follows the ENV line..

That's not new behavior (for fx envs where the knob center is not the same as the center of the param range) ... so we can discuss in the regular forums & not in the pre-release forum.

nofish
11-27-2008, 11:10 AM
The only way I see so far is to rightclick on an envelope, the option is all the way way down down to the bottom of the context menu.

I would think there would be a tick box in the automation dialog, and the option would be at the very top of the Automation Buttons context list, and a setting to default to automation lane when adding an envelope

Yep, rightclick on envelope point and choose "show envelope in lane" seems to be the only way so far.

As I'm sometimes doing projects with lots of automation on different parameters showing it all in one track tends to get messed up quickly.
Now having the new lanes everything stays clear and we can still choose the old system if we like.

beatbybit
11-27-2008, 11:13 AM
youre right schwa,

this is just new to me..

i've never automated ReaEQ before. (and the other plugins i've automated didnt have this "broken ENV")

Tedwood
11-27-2008, 12:07 PM
In case you guys didn't pick it up in alpha preview 1, it's no biggie but here it is again.

The track panel text is still reversing the colours.

Red comes out Blue, and Blue comes out Red.

zappadave
11-27-2008, 01:37 PM
The midi note colours for channels are too similar with the notes unselected.
Channels 1 and 2 look indentical.
Channels 4 to 7 are almost indentical.
As are channels 11 and twelve.
There seems to be little yellow and orange in the spectrum.
Would it be possible to add some yellow and orange too broaden the colour and make the channels clearer.

Amberience
11-27-2008, 02:36 PM
The preference "show envelopes in separate lanes if each lane will be at least [...] pixels high" does not seem to be working.

If I have it set to 40, and zoom my track-height as tall as it will go, the envelopes still remain over the clip, and not in their own lane.

Xenakios
11-27-2008, 03:59 PM
The preference "show envelopes in separate lanes if each lane will be at least [...] pixels high" does not seem to be working.

If I have it set to 40, and zoom my track-height as tall as it will go, the envelopes still remain over the clip, and not in their own lane.

That's an old preference that is about the old envelope lanes (which I never considered "lanes" at all) where you can have several non-overlapping envelopes stacked over the item peaks....

Amberience
11-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Oh I see! Well, ignore my white ass ;)

xackley
11-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Is pretty nifty.

If you haven't tried it yet, select an area and move the ACP fader while in Trim/Fade mode. Then select nothing and try it again. Very power full.

Xenakios
11-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Is pretty nifty.

If you haven't tried it yet, select an area and move the ACP fader while in Trim/Fade mode. Then select nothing and try it again. Very power full.

OMG...Thanks for the tip! Veeeery nice feature! :D

edit : Ok, it does not work perfect it seems. But the idea is very very cool, and once it's working properly... ;)

gofer
11-28-2008, 03:58 AM
Wow, thing's are definitely rolling in the right direction :)

I guess it's to early to really comment on the automation lanes, so I'm gonna wait what is up your sleeves. It's a good start.

I like the MIDI note color theming, finally I don't need the velocity lane anymore to get the picture. And I can easily tell muted notes now. I likey!
The only niggle left on my end is that there's no way to tell on which channel muted notes are until I either unmute or open the properties. Perhaps a border around muted notes displayed with the channel / velocity color could be implemented?

I do hope, that we get some control over muted item color in the main view too. And while I am at it, when I read
'+ Colorthemes have configurable blend modes/opacity for numerous items
+ Colortheme configuration updates',
I hoped we could now somehow display the item's (or track's) custom color on selected items (as a border or something... refering to this dicussion: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=28652)
And I am still not able to display the exact color I choose in the color picker window on neither items nor the tcp name field, no matter which mode I engage, maybe I didn't try enough...

That's all no biggies, but would help in terms of visual clearness and information.

Will we see MIDI editing enhancements, too? Can't wait for an improved event list and controller selection possibilities...

Thanks for this exiting experience, watching this app grow is a real pleasure.

EDIT: forgot to pick one more nit: Supposed there are two notes on the same time in the midi editor, the velocity lane used to display the selected note in front. This is not done anymore. The note with higher pitch will always be shown in front, hiding any note with lower pitch and velocity completely.

helpdeskeddy
11-28-2008, 06:29 AM
I like the automation lanes!
Some bugs? with these (volume envelopes):
- the faders in the automation panels are not behaving quite correctly... when I move the fader in latch/write/touch mode, there's a jump in the volume of -8dB.
- when moving the fader in trim mode, the fader always jumps back to the middle and the indication of x.xx dB dissapears

I know that these are still unfinished features... just trying to help.

Eddy

schwa
11-28-2008, 07:15 AM
- when moving the fader in trim mode, the fader always jumps back to the middle and the indication of x.xx dB dissapears

That's a feature ... in trim mode the envelope control panel fader always applies a relative percentage offset to the selected part of the envelope (or the whole envelope if there's no time selection) and springs to center when you release it. We could change it so the display in this case shows the dB offset for volume envelopes rather than the percentage offset (though FX envelopes will still need to show percentage offset only).

xackley
11-28-2008, 07:59 AM
That's a feature ... in trim mode the envelope control panel fader always applies a relative percentage offset to the selected part of the envelope (or the whole envelope if there's no time selection) and springs to center when you release it. We could change it so the display in this case shows the dB offset for volume envelopes rather than the percentage offset (though FX envelopes will still need to show percentage offset only).

The ACP should have a constant read out of the current envelope value. If the program knows the value it should display the real value, like volume and pan. If the value is not known the program should display the current percentage.
So aligned with the Normal tracks volume and pan numeric display the current volume and pan of the envelope value.
In the same area display the offset in percentage if the value is not known, like for FX. For a mute envelope it should either say something like Mute On, Mute Off as the envelope crosses the center line.

The CHANGE value that is currently displayed next to the fader in TRM should remain as it is.

ludwigcs
11-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Looking great guys!!! I was hoping that you could work in one thing with III that would take the midi editor over the top 4 me and some other users I suspect. If possible, could you work in an option to rearrange midi notes under the drum editing mode so I can tidy up my midi drum tracks. You implemented show only active notes a few months ago and that's a huge step in the right direction, but the icing on the cake would be to arrange them however you wanted in addition to hiding unused notes.

Once again I can't say enough about the constant positive developments the Cockos team has made on Reaper. Huuuuuuuuge kudos to all involved!!

Chris

tweed
11-28-2008, 07:26 PM
What's : Master auto-mute has new clip mode
Anyone Know?
?????

[pre-apology for yet another similar frothing ramble]

I'm still hoping there's a way to use JUST REAPER for LIVE playing of VSTs.
Without the ability to automate the record ARM and/or Record MONITOR buttons it's just about hopeless.... for me anyways... means using forte or cantabile.

OK.... so anyone know what 3.0 might bring on having a TON of VST loaded though ALL but what's needed MUTED.... and also in addition to this muting (cpu savings) when not being used.... the ability to:

HAVE the Record ARM and/or the Record MONITOR buttons go on and off hands-free in a PRE-PROGRAMMED/AUTOMATED way....

Really...REAPER is SO close.... why use forte AND reaper when REAPER is just about there in the ways many of use would likely need.

Billoon
11-28-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm still hoping there's a way to use JUST REAPER for LIVE playing of VSTs.
Without the ability to automate the record ARM and/or Record MONITOR buttons it's just about hopeless.... for me anyways... means using forte or cantabile.

Cant you just leave all tracks monitor enabled and automate the vtis bypass?

beyond
11-29-2008, 12:08 AM
In case you guys didn't pick it up in alpha preview 1, it's no biggie but here it is again.

The track panel text is still reversing the colours.

Red comes out Blue, and Blue comes out Red.

I confirm, Red and Blue components are switched for;

Track Panel Text
Track Panel (selected) Text

also a long standing bug for classic scroll bars; enter color RGB(0,45,0) for "Main window 3D shadow", and you will see bright red in the scroll bars.

"Main window text shadow" must be deprecated, as now, it has no effect.

Thank you for excellent work!

tweed
11-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Billoon Said: >> Cant you just leave all tracks monitor enabled and automate the vtis bypass?

Billoon...! yes, though having spent years 'attempting' to master my understanding of, for example, Logic Audio's environment layer (in 1995 etc.) believe, for me, I know how counter-productive attempting to organize that would be...

a fumbling mess due to there being NO VISUAL of the VST's BYPASS STATE on the arrange page..

Hey, perhaps I'm mistaken .... I'd LOVE to be mistaken...

Though so far it's a scary ride with other options...

Hey, just got up....and all groggy ....cool!

ideas frothingly welcomed!

griz lee
11-30-2008, 02:32 PM
great work on the lanes:

just a thought -- i'd like to see the waveform - a ghost image if you will, optinally available in the lane so i can get my EQ tweaks (or whatever) in exactly the right place.

top!

Malevo
11-30-2008, 03:33 PM
great work on the lanes:

just a thought -- i'd like to see the waveform - a ghost image if you will, optinally available in the lane so i can get my EQ tweaks (or whatever) in exactly the right place.

top!

+1 for this, it's exactly how it works in Cubendo and it's really helpful.
:-)

keyman_sam
11-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Still largely unhappy with the takes/lanes system though. :( Recording multiple takes, comping, etc. should be easy as a pie as it is in sonar. Instead it is a chore in reaper. :(

Billoon
12-01-2008, 05:10 AM
a fumbling mess due to there being NO VISUAL of the VST's BYPASS STATE on the arrange page..

What about the 'Bypass' automation envelope? Up is on, down is off.

http://img525.**************/img525/2906/bypasszf6.png (http://**************)

joe2
12-01-2008, 07:22 AM
This pre is looking like steps in the right direction with a good bit of work to go. Hope I have more time to test it and help move things along. :-)

stillwalker
12-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Still largely unhappy with the takes/lanes system though. :( Recording multiple takes, comping, etc. should be easy as a pie as it is in sonar. Instead it is a chore in reaper. :(

well first of all, i disagree, to me, reapers system is much faster and intuitive. but that doesnt really matter....

what matters is tha first of all, you provide no information of how to change the system in a positive way (other then saying that sonar is the holy grail wicth isnt really contructive, it leans on plain whining)

second. and most inportant, this is a pre-release discussion!

so please, keep it in your FR, and keep it constructive :)

/stillwalker

tweed
12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
[Re: ABILITY to Arrange page AUTOMATE the RECORD ARM and/or the RECORD MONITOR buttons - would allow live VST playing HANDS-FREE flexibility WITH visual ease]

Billoon Said: >> Cant you just leave all tracks monitor enabled and automate the vtis bypass?

Hi Billoon! It's been a while since I've been in the depth of pondering about this perceived need of mine.

I will try to come up with the gothcha I suspect may (or may not!) exist for me with having to access each VST's bypass button instead of simply automating the RECORD ARM and/or the RECORD MONITOR buttons (similarly to what we can already do with the MUTE button)

VERY nice of you to detail the maximum possible visual effectiveness of effect bypass automation like you did.... BIG thanks!

One or two things spring to mind:

That with what I wish for, I could change out the VST and still have EXACTLY the same automation of the VST... hopefully I've missed something.

More on this by the weekend I expect!!

Great thanks again for your thoughts...
best to all..
and a ho ho ho thrown in as well!

back to the madness.

scottdru
12-01-2008, 01:40 PM

That seems like quite a brilliant option . . . especially helpful for use of control surfaces (etc.) that don't have motorized faders, yeah?

eMaRe
12-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Wow!! This is a thing of beauty! I think it will bring Reaper up to the slickness of logic. Great additions.

++1 for midi ghost notes

Lawrence
12-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Automation lanes are cool. Thanks.

Will the final version have peak displays? Also, what's the record button for? It doesn't seem to do anything yet.

Prelim though so...

An early wish, disable individual envelopes from right there would be cool.

joe2
12-01-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't want to jump the gun, here (not being fully versed in pre-release etiquette), but it would seem to me that Lawrence's automation lane comments are the tip of a pretty vital iceberg that needs to be discussed soon.

I'm aware there's a lot going on in New Reaper outside of automation lanes, but I have the feeling this is one of those instantly-recognisable, aesthetically important areas which will really make a quick impression on new users, and experienced ones.

As such, I hope to find a place to have the discussion, and add to it soon. :-)

snebenan
12-02-2008, 01:26 AM
The new automation lanes is very cool. :)

A minor annoyance though:
If you set automation to be shown in lanes and then zoom out far enough then lanes will be set back to not be shown in lanes.
And if you then zoom in again, the automation will stay with show in lanes switched off.

I'd rather see that show automation in lanes is overridden when the track height is less than X so that the setting is kept when zooming in again.

//Cheers!

Spyrow
12-02-2008, 04:25 AM
+1 for this, it's exactly how it works in Cubendo and it's really helpful.
:-)

I was going to propose the same. Very useful!

Lawrence
12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the current automation lane direction is a very good one. Having the *option* to have separate lanes and/or to show the envelope(s) in/over the original track - even at the same time - is very cool.

Options are really good. People who hate lanes can just ignore them. Very flexible. In Cubase that option doesn't exist, there are only lanes. This is potentially MUCH better in that case.

I can't wait to see the final state of the lanes. I'll make a couple of suggestions once I gather my thoughts properly. For now, moving that "Show in Lanes" menu item right up to the top of the menu would be my first suggestion.

zappsunzorn
12-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Right now Reaper doesn't distinguish images for notes, and sound/project files. Load an image and Reaper goes to your projects folder, later import audio and reaper opens your image folder. Shouldn't there be a separate default for each!

joe2
12-03-2008, 12:24 PM
For now, moving that "Show in Lanes" menu item right up to the top of the menu would be my first suggestion.

I guess I may as well add to this suggestion now:

- A button and/or action for showing all envelopes of current track in separate lanes?
- A preference to make this behaviour the default?
- A checkbox in the "Envelopes for..." window, after "Visible" and "Arm", that reads "Overlay/lane", or something?
- Actions for "toggle track [volume|pan|mute] envelope appear as overlay/dedicated lane"?

Hope these ideas make sense. :-)

--edit: sorry, I didn't make this clear: I don't believe users should have to first select an individual envelope, and select "Show envelope in lane" from a context menu. Selecting envelopes (which requires the mouse) can be pretty fiddly. But it's not *unbearable* following this procedure, thanks to the presence of the action "Envelope: Toggle display in separate lane". Thanks!

(*cough*automation parts*cough*)

labyrinth
12-03-2008, 12:32 PM
I agree with you Joe2

gofer
12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I'd like to see little plus and minus buttons on the automation lanes like in the midi editor. A click on a plus should open up the next armed parameter. So I'd click one button and successively open controller lanes for all written data.
Same behaviour would be very smart in the midi editor too, and this would add some consistency among the app.

Spyrow
12-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I'd like to see little plus and minus buttons on the automation lanes like in the midi editor. A click on a plus should open up the next armed parameter. So I'd click one button and successively open controller lanes for all written data.
Same behaviour would be very smart in the midi editor too, and this would add some consistency among the app.

+1, that makes sense.

joe2
12-03-2008, 04:02 PM
A click on a plus should open up the *next armed parameter*.

Also having this method available sounds good, and this bit of behaviour is key. (Same as Cubendo, or an improvement on that system?)

aMUSEd
12-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Looking forward to trying this - lanes is great. Now how about drawing for automation? :)

tweed
12-04-2008, 10:13 AM
maybe there's a more brilliant way or two instead of strictly the little plus sign opening up the next parameter. I'm recalling my cubase days and thought that felt a bit messy, and oh, 'what's under here' kinda.

yeah, just had a knee jerk about the sprawling 'next parameter' thing in cubase. I don't have much to add to my words here at this moment though and i could have missed some obvious stuff. good morning!