PDA

View Full Version : Sugababes, I am losing it

Bebop52
01-17-2009, 04:01 AM
I am a 53 years old jazz player, Coltrane, Charlie Parker are the guys I love. And Allan Holdsworth, the most amazing guitarist on the planet IMHO. Not just unbelievable fast technique, but unique harmonic innovation and feel. And Joe Pass, and Martin Taylor, incredible English jazz player. Taylor plays like an entire band, all on his own. Chords, melodies, bass lines, even percussion on his Gibson 175D, all fingerstyle, and simultaneous, amazing. I've seen him play dozens of times live, and my jaw just drops to the floor every time. So I suppose I am a music snob in a way. But I love Annie Lennox :) And Tamla Motown. And I just spent two hours watching a live TV gig of the Sugababes, of all things, ha ha, and they are actually very good :) Very good live singers, probably autotuned, but they do sound good. Don't tell any of my jazz colleagues I have been listening to 'em :)

Tedwood
01-17-2009, 11:25 AM
You just like what you like

You say potato and I say potato, you say tomato and I say tomato (doesn't work so well in text does it?)

I like the Sugarbabes too, and they can sing really well. If your Jazz friends make fun of that you could get some some better friends. There is nothing to be snobbish about in music, because none of it is any better than anything else.

If you feel you are losing it Bebop I wonder what it is that you are losing, and whether it was ever really worth having in the first place.

Are you losing it, or are you finding it - it's not always easy to tell is it? ;)

stratman
01-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Perhaps you should watch the gig with the sound turned off and see if you enjoy it any less. Just to check your objectivety :)

Pete

sceyefeye
02-20-2009, 03:02 AM
Perhaps you should watch the gig with the sound turned off and see if you enjoy it any less. Just to check your objectivety :)

Pete

Ah yes, that would be an excellent place to start, but I have to admit, they do make incredibly catchy music. It isn't what I generally listen to, but in the sea of frankly crap music that spews forth from the radio, they are not bad at all.

In any event, why be dictated by others' tastes. I know that when I was in high school a few years back (ok more than a few) ABBA was completely "not acceptable" and yet they will probably forever be regarded as the super group of the 70's and possibly one of all time

hardplay
02-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Sugarbabes???? in this moment i'm certain that i know the name but uncertain if i've ever heard a song from them!?! let's see if youtubing them reminds me of anything !

sceyefeye
02-20-2009, 05:40 AM
Sugarbabes???? in this moment i'm certain that i know the name but uncertain if i've ever heard a song from them!?! let's see if youtubing them reminds me of anything !

You would be truely amazing and leading a media sheltered life if you haven't heard at least one song of theirs in the last 10 years.

Enjoy you tube though, they are great eye candy

Toft
03-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure I never heard them before.

Guess they never made it big in Australia. Or maybe I don't listen to enough commercial radio...

Jae.Thomas
03-18-2009, 08:41 PM
You would be truely amazing and leading a media sheltered life if you haven't heard at least one song of theirs in the last 10 years.

i certainly havent

bullshark
03-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Are those it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqBQ0hen9LU
Is it just me or can we hear the not too subtle repitching all over it? Sounds like crap if you ask me.