PDA

View Full Version : Pitch slider not maintaining initial input pitch (SOLVED)

J Kennedy
10-05-2006, 08:13 AM
I'd posted this on the general forum, but it probably belongs here as it looks more like a bug now.

The idea was to do the old tape deck trick of slowing the speed of the song, play along and record on a new track and speed the song back up resulting in a fast and higher last track.

One person couldn't duplicate this at 0.5 speed. I found that yes, at 0.5 speed eveything works. If you try to do this at other speeds (my test was at 0.48), the new audio track is about a whole tone sharp though tempo is correct. Ony confounder may be that the recorded file was from a midi soundbank, but was an audio, not a midi file. Anyone else experience this? Opening another session of Reaper fixes the problem, but I can't do it in one session.

Thanks,
John

J Kennedy
10-05-2006, 10:20 AM
About the pitch shift, I tried this with a guitar and got the same results, ruling out midi to wav complications. My ear's not too good separating out the split, but actually, the new track records anywhere from 1 and 1/2 notes to 2 notes flat depending on the amount of shift, not a note sharp as I had said. Recording at one octave down (0.5) does keep the pitch right.

The second instance of Reaper fixes both the quality of recording and pitch issues, just an extra step having to record the slowed file into a second session.

John

J Kennedy
10-10-2006, 09:04 AM
If recording a slower, lowered pitch part to then speed back up with other tracks, after recording, go to Edit => Item Properties => Okay (if there are multiple items) => uncheck "Preserve pitch when changing play rate"

Works like a charm. Thank you Justin.

John

J Kennedy
10-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Didn't even have time to sober up this morning and ver 1.27 is already here with the pitch shift effect facilitated to a more user friendly default.

Thank you Justin. This program is headed only to higher ground, and very quickly it seems.

John