PDA

View Full Version : hoping to write a certain plugin?

boatclub
10-05-2009, 10:28 PM
hey all.

there's something quite specific i want to write for myself to interface with REAPER. i've haven't written anything for REAPER thus far, but i'm hoping what i'd like to do, could be my first shot at it.
i've done programming before, so i'm definitely going in cold :P

basically, it's something i want to write for my live performances. I use REAPER extensively for performing. because the program is so customizable, it can do absolutely everything i want.
i use it sort of like a sound module, and have a different sampler/synth/whatever on each track, and scroll up and down all the tracks to choose which sound i want to play at that moment.

what i'd like to make:
i want to sort of write a front end for REAPER, so when I need to look at my laptop during the performance, i'm looking at this simple clean GUI front end, rather than REAPER itself.
the two main things i really want it to do is:

a) be able to send actions (shortcuts) to REAPER
and
b) be able to grab all the names of all the tracks in the loaded project and display them in a list in the front end.

so straight off the bat, is this actually possible?

i'm aware REAPER's API and Developer stuff is pretty powerful. I've seen some cool plugins for this wonderful program thus far, was hoping i could write one for my own needs.

many thanks, Louis.

dub3000
10-06-2009, 12:06 AM
it looks totally possible, and the new stuff in the most recent version lets you work with scripting via python.

python is pretty easy to learn and you can use something like PyQT or tktinker to build GUIs with it pretty easily. there's loads of python example code around and you can get up and running with it really quickly.

boatclub
10-06-2009, 12:19 AM
thanks for the heads up dub3000 :)
good to see another aussie here! i'm representing melbourne ;)

also, a big fan of your plugins. floaty appears on every track i've done thus far i reckon ;)

will keep looking around as you said. i'll look for some code as such.
anybody recommend any straight off the bat? maybe something that relates to what i'm trying to do?

many thanks, lou.

dub3000
10-10-2009, 04:04 PM
not sure if the stuff in http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=44085 will help you but it might be a starting point (look at the zip i attached in my second post)

boatclub
10-10-2009, 05:42 PM
wow!
wicked post dub3000 :)

thank you so much.

this will defs get me started. you rock!