PDA

View Full Version : Some VSTs cause clicks on (re)start playback

Paul Eye
02-17-2006, 07:36 AM
I've been playing with REAPER for the past few days and I've kept wondering why I keep getting clicks when I (re)start playback (and even at the beginning of rendered files). First I thought that it's my soundcard (STAudio DSP24 Value) so I kept tweaking the buffering settings. Nothing helped. Then I noticed that only certain tracks produce the click (it shows up on the track VU meter, and a track routed to a delay on another track sent the click to the delay aswell). So, I figured that it must be some VST plugin(s) that's causing the clicks. Bypassed track FX and bingo! that was it.

I don't know a thing about coding but it seems like some buffers aren't emptied correctly (or something along those lines) when you press stop. Having some silence (nothing on the tracks) at the beginning of a project and cutting out the beginning with the click in a wave editor is currently the only solution to this, but I'd rather have my projects start at zero/bar 1.

So far the worst offender has been Digitalfishphones BLOCKFISH, but I'm sure there are others which cause these clicks. Ag-works Chorus CH-2 and Christian Budde posihfopit seem to cause "only" a tiny and barely audible click, or at least a combination of these does it, possibly it's only one of them but I'm not sure. Not all VST effects do this, most of the ones I've been using are completely fine. I'm using these same plugins in Jeskola Buzz without any clicking problems.
On another note concerning VST effects: ConcreteFX VariDelay causes a crash when rendering, playback is completely fine.

pipelineaudio
02-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Im betting Voxengo will give some grief as well if blockfish makes trouble

fluffy
02-17-2006, 11:44 AM
GSnap crashes Reaper every time.