PDA

View Full Version : EZ Drummer in Reaper tutorial?

mr. moon
01-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi Folks,

I swear that I could remember reading a "How to get EZ Drummer to work in Reaper" thread somewhere around here a while back, but for the life of me I am unable to find it. I have searched "EZDruumer", "EZ Drummer", "Drummer", etc. and so on, however I still cannot find it.

If someone could post a link to the thread or just re-iterate the steps in creating a drum track/pattern using EZ Drummer in Reaper, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

-mr moon

Diogenes
01-14-2007, 09:29 PM
1: Insert a blank track in Reaper. Set the desired tempo on the transport bar.
2: Open the "Add FX" dialog on the inserted track.
3: Choose EZdrummer amongst the VSTi's there...
4: EZdrummer will open and load samples into memory.
5: Click "Groove Library" button in EZdrummer.
6: Browse the MIDI clips. Hint: Right click 'em to hear 'em play. Right click 'em again to shut 'em up...
7: Drag the clips you want to the track you inserted.

Edit and play away. It really is THAT easy. Oh yeah, go to prefs and choose "Always run FX". I forget which tab but... you gotta do that. Or at least I did.

EZdrummer is the cure for this guitar playing, non-drummin' fool. Plus, the samples sound GREAT!

D

mr. moon
01-14-2007, 09:36 PM
4: EZdrummer will open and load samples into memory.
5: Click "Groove Library" button in EZdrummer.
6: Browse the MIDI clips. Hint: Right click 'em to hear 'em play. Right click 'em again to shut 'em up...
7: Drag the clips you want to the track you inserted.

Edit and play away. It really is THAT easy. Oh yeah, go to prefs and choose "Always run FX". I forget which tab but... you gotta do that. Or at least I did.

EZdrummer is the cure for this guitar playing, non-drummin' fool. Plus, the samples sound GREAT!

D

Thanks!!

...Now, how do I:

1. Route the MIDI outputs to separate tracks?

2. Render these tracks to audio from the MIDI tracks?

Or, do I have to keep the EZD VSTi in the MIDI track all the way through mixdown? Personally, I'd rather render them down to individual audio tracks (one for each piece in the drum kit) so I can mix them with all the other audio tracks at the end the mixing phase, rather than have to mix them as a MIDI track ...if you know what I mean.

Thanks again!

-mr moon

Diogenes
01-15-2007, 05:15 AM
Unless you take the time to cut/paste each MIDI "Groove" track (the stuff you dropped from the library) onto separate tracks... the MIDI will stay on that one track. However, you can add other stuff to other MIDI tracks and SEND them to the track with EZdrummer VSTi inserted. (Don't forget the EZdrummer mixer. You can tweak there too.)

Look at the manual or toontrack website for using the multiple outputs of EZdrummer. I have not tried it yet. With Reapers fabulous routing ability it should be easy! Once you get routed the way you want, solo and render OR "Apply FX as new take". Your MIDI is now audio.

D

Diogenes
01-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Makin' any progress mr. moon? I meant to check out the multi-output routing THANG of EZdrummer tonight and post back my findings. My bud called with a new song in his noggin' and I had to go to work on that in BIAB... So... I'll try it tomorrow after work... maybe.

Tell you what... if you figure it out first, SHARE please! :D

D

Serendipity
01-16-2007, 02:03 PM
EZDrummer tutorial: Updated

Disclaimer: This is my way of setting up EZdrummer and it works for me. It's not the only way. No ezdrummers were hurt making this tutorial.

Start Reaper. Create a new track with Ctrl+T or Track=>Add new track in the menu. Name it ezdrummer midi.

Open FX on the track and insert ezdrummer. Open up Preferences for Reaper and go to the VST page. The options Save full VST plug-in state if supported and Save as bank should be enabled. Also make sure that you have the option Always run track FX in the Audio Preferences checked and finally make the GUI visible or ezdrummer might not load the kit.

Create eight more tracks and name them ezd DrumGroup, ezd Kick, ezd SnareTop, ezd SnareBottom, ezd Hats, ezd Toms, ezd Overhead and ezd Room....or name them whatever you like ;)

Make the ezd DumGroup track a Folder track and the ezd Room track the last track in the folder.

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/ezd-reaper_tutorial/image1.png

Click the I/O button on the ezdrummer midi track to open up the Routing for Track 1 "ezdrummer midi" window.

De-select Master/Parent Send.

Set Track Channels to 14 (since we're using 7 stereo outputs from ezdrummer in this tutorial).

Under Sends enable Track 3: ezd Kick through to Track 9: ezd Room.

For Track 3 set the left Audio dropdown box value to Channel 1/2.

Track 4: Channel 3/4

Track 5: Channel 5/6

and so on until

Track 9: Channel 13/14

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/ezd-reaper_tutorial/image2.png

Edit: I made a serious mistake and forgot one important step. This is it.

Click on the DrumGroup I/O button and enable recieves from all tracks except the ezd midi track.

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/ezd-reaper_tutorial/image6.png

Serendipity
01-16-2007, 02:08 PM
(continued)

Make sure that each track inside the folder track has got its Master/Parent Send de-selected. The only track to have this selected right now is the ezd DrumGroup folder track!

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/ezd-reaper_tutorial/image3.png

Open up the FX window containing ezdrummer and click on the Output button above the ezdrummer GUI. Check to see that the outputs from ezdrummer has been routed correctly to the track channels. It should or you can change it to your liking.

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/ezd-reaper_tutorial/image4.png

Open up the ezdrummer mixer. Right-click on any track in the output row and chose Multichannel from the menu. Close the mixer.

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/ezd-reaper_tutorial/image5.png

Put some midi on the midi track and play.

This concludes the tutorial.

mr. moon
01-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Makin' any progress mr. moon? I meant to check out the multi-output routing THANG of EZdrummer tonight and post back my findings. My bud called with a new song in his noggin' and I had to go to work on that in BIAB... So... I'll try it tomorrow after work... maybe.

Tell you what... if you figure it out first, SHARE please! :D

D

Hey, sorry to get back to you so late, but I had to work at "real job" to earn money to fuel my music habit...

Anyho, I haven't had any time to put towards this, and now it appears that "Serendipity" has put together a frikkin' MONSTER tutorial, which I'll start looking at later this evening.

Thanks to you *and* Serendipity!!!

-mr moon

Diogenes
01-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Way too cool Serendipity! Nice tutorial! I had been goobering around with it today and just about figured things out and now... ba-da-bing... you have done dood-it and posted it up.

Thanks a bunch!

D

Serendipity
01-16-2007, 04:02 PM
You're welcome. I hope you find it helpful. :)

Bevoss
01-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks heaps man, I've been putting this off for a while until I had my head around Reaper fully, that was such a good tutorial I had to give it a go. Bam! Too easy, many thanks.

One question...I'm playing groove files at the moment, haven't dragged any midi on the the track yet, but it shouldn't make a difference to my question really:

How can you solo an individual track?

I can do it on the VSTi mixer console, but when I try to solo tracks in Reaper I get nothing, and if I solo the Group Folder track as well I get everything. I haven't figured out what's wrong yet, are you able to solo tracks from Reaper? Cheers

mr. moon
01-17-2007, 07:19 AM
One question...I'm playing groove files at the moment, haven't dragged any midi on the the track yet, but it shouldn't make a difference to my question really:

How can you solo an individual track?

I can do it on the VSTi mixer console, but when I try to solo tracks in Reaper I get nothing, and if I solo the Group Folder track as well I get everything. I haven't figured out what's wrong yet, are you able to solo tracks from Reaper? Cheers

The only way I've been able to make this work is by muting all the tracks that I don't want to hear to single out the one track I want to solo.

Additionally, after some experimentation of my own, I have figured out how to record all the individual tracks concurrently. To do this, all you have to do is set each of the individual tracks (#3-#9) to "record: output (mono, latency compensated)", arming the tracks to record, engage the master record function, and then play the EZ Drummer track, using one of the demo beats, for example.

Thanks again to those who have been posting the tutorials and such, they have been of great assistance!

-mr moon

Serendipity
01-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Alt+click on the solo button of the track you want to solo (solo-in-place). Or set this behaviour as default in the preferences Audio=>Solos default to in-place solo (Alt+click does a normal solo).

Check out the Mute and Solo Button Modifiers in the keyboard shortcut list.

Bevoss
01-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks, I do know that, but it doesn't work in this case. I'm not sure why, but in any case I can mute the other tracks fairly easy. Something to do with being fed by a midi track maybe? I'm not sure.

wickerman
01-18-2007, 07:36 AM
First off, this is a great tutorial - thanks a bunch for taking the time Serendipity!!!

I can drag a midi pattern into the timeline and it plays back but I don't hear hats or any cymbals, which is kinda weird... I must have something setup wrong? Like Bevoss, I can't solo a track in Reaper but I can't solo it in the vsti either. I must have something wrong. Will have to go back and start again.

I also have an issue since I have the DFH expansion for EZD. There are actually 5 toms used on the exp pack, and the total number of channels would be 11 stereo outs. So I'm assuming I would have to route all the toms to the same channel??? EZD has a max of 16 outs correct?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

Serendipity
01-18-2007, 09:07 AM
First of all, I've tried solo-in-place (Alt+click on solo buttons) with the tutorial setup and it works perfectly on my machine.

The DFH EXD should have all the toms on one channel, precisely as the standard kit has. Open the EZD mixer and check the outputs row. I always use the default settings in the EZD mixer as a guide when setting up the audio outputs in Reaper. EZD has max 16 outputs, yes.

If you can't hear hats or cymbals (i.e. overhead) you must have done something wrong or the plugin hasn't loaded the samples for some strange reason (which I find unlikely).

mr. moon
01-18-2007, 11:31 AM
First of all, I've tried solo-in-place (Alt+click on solo buttons) with the tutorial setup and it works perfectly on my machine.

The DFH EXD should have all the toms on one channel, precisely as the standard kit has. Open the EZD mixer and check the outputs row. I always use the default settings in the EZD mixer as a guide when setting up the audio outputs in Reaper. EZD has max 16 outputs, yes.

If you can't hear hats or cymbals (i.e. overhead) you must have done something wrong or the plugin hasn't loaded the samples for some strange reason (which I find unlikely).

Serendipity,

One thing I noticed is that after I ran through your tutorial, I had to go through and configure the sends for tracks #3 - #9 as demonstrated in the attached screen capture (see below). Until I set up the sends/receives this way on tracks #3-#9, I could not hear anything until I set the "sends" on these tracks to "Folder: EZD Drum Group" ...interestingly, the kick drum (track #3) was the only track to light up the meters or send signal to the "EZDrummer MIDI" track until I made these settings, but no sound was heard.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3310/eztrackiozu6.jpg

????

Now I'm able to solo each track individually by using the Alt+click on solo button combination, and it records flawlessly!

Thanks for all the help!

-mr moon

Serendipity
01-18-2007, 04:03 PM
To all who has read this tutorial:

It seems like I screwed up and forgot one important step in the guide. I'm truly sorry! I have updated the tutorial.

Serendipity
01-18-2007, 04:14 PM
mr. moon basically wrote:

????

Yes, stupid me. As you've found out I screwed up and forgot to send the audio from the output tracks to the DrumGroup folder. My only defense is that I was in a hurry when writing the tutorial. I shall strive to better myself. Thanks for the heads up.http://*************.net/sad-smiley-17025.gif

Bevoss
01-18-2007, 04:21 PM
No worries, I already did it...it's actually faster to do that in the routing matrix.

Cheers

Serendipity
01-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Well, I decided not to use the routing matrix in the tutorial (I even made a screenshot of it which I didn't use). I might add that image later if someone needs it badly. I agree with you though, it's easier (when you know how to properly use it).

mr. moon
01-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Well, I decided not to use the routing matrix in the tutorial (I even made a screenshot of it which I didn't use). I might add that image later if someone needs it badly. I agree with you though, it's easier (when you know how to properly use it).

Could you please post the routing matrix view, I thirst for knowledge!!

I don't want to say that I "need it badly" because it sounds pretty disturbing...

:)

Thanks again for the posts!! ...You may have forgotten to post an important step, but all you really did was prove yourself to be human, no big deal.

-mr moon

Bevoss
01-18-2007, 05:35 PM

Thanks again for this tutorial, you saved me a LOT of time working it out myself!

Serendipity
01-18-2007, 07:08 PM
EZDrummer tutorial - Routing Matrix Edition:

Start Reaper. Create a new track with Ctrl+T or Track=>Add new track in the menu. Name it ezdrummer midi.

Open FX on the track and insert ezdrummer. Open up Preferences for Reaper and go to the VST page. The options Save full VST plug-in state if supported and Save as bank should be enabled. Also make sure that you have the option Always run track FX in the Audio Preferences checked and finally make the GUI visible or ezdrummer might not load the kit.

Create eight more tracks and name them ezd DrumGroup, ezd Kick, ezd SnareTop, ezd SnareBottom, ezd Hats, ezd Toms, ezd Overhead and ezd Room....or name them whatever you like.

Make the ezd DumGroup track a Folder track and the ezd Room track the last track in the folder.

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/ezd-reaper_tutorial/image1.png

Open the Routing Matrix.

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/matrix_tutorial/matrix.png

All tracks are active in the master/parent send column. The master output routs to the soundcard outputs.

Right-click on the enabled ezdrummer midi track routing in the master/parent send column. Set Track Channels to 14. Close the window. Disable the routing by clicking on it.

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/matrix_tutorial/matrixA.png

Enable the routings from the ezdrummer midi track to all the outputs (ezd Kick, ezd SnareTop.........ezd Room).

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/matrix_tutorial/matrixB.png

Serendipity
01-18-2007, 07:10 PM
(continued)

Right-click on each of these enabled routings and set the Audio channels to send, beginning with Channels 1/2 on the ezd Kick output, Channels 3/4 on the ezd SnareTop output and so on until the last output: ezd Room which is set to Channels 13/14.

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/matrix_tutorial/matrixC.png

Finally, disable the ezdrummer output routings in the master/parent send column and enable them in the ezd DrumGroup column.

http://web.telia.com/~u37212768/matrix_tutorial/matrixD.png

Put a midifile on the ezdrummer midi track and play.

Hopefully this will work the same as the other tutorial. If I haven't screwed up that is! :D

wickerman
01-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Hey Serendipity! You rock dude - I had something enabled that I shouldn't and now I'm good to go. Thanks again for this tutorial and all your help and hard work! This site is great and so is Reaper!

Geoff

Bevoss
01-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Nice one! I never used the right-click in there before, opens up a whole new world...the missing link I needed.

You have a real talent for tutorials! :):)

Serendipity
01-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks! I'm happy to help if I can.

Well, gotta go http://*************.net/tired-sleeping-smiley-17403.gif

rickie
01-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Many thanks Serendipity, Jeez, I have a long way to go before I fully understand all this, but this sure helps.

mr. moon
01-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Hey Serendipity! You rock dude
Geoff

I would have to disagree....

In actuality, you TOTALLY ROCK!!!

:)

Thanks again for the awesome information!

-mr moon

One4n5
01-20-2007, 09:24 AM

D

What if EZD doesnt appear amongst the VSTi's? I have it working fine in Acid Pro 6.

...Damn! I hate being a newbie!! :o

mr. moon
01-20-2007, 09:34 AM
What if EZD doesnt appear amongst the VSTi's? I have it working fine in Acid Pro 6.

...Damn! I hate being a newbie!!

On my system, it showed up as:

"VSTi: Dfh Sampler(Toontrack)"

There is no mention of "EZ Drummer" at all, so maybe your system's doing the same thing as mine or something similar?

-mr moon

wickerman
01-20-2007, 01:45 PM
On my system, it showed up as:

"VSTi: Dfh Sampler(Toontrack)"

There is no mention of "EZ Drummer" at all, so maybe your system's doing the same thing as mine or something similar?

-mr moon

Same here - VSTi: Dfh Sampler (Toontrack). No mention of EZ Drummer anywhere.

One4n5
01-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Well fudge... no DFH... Toontrack... EZD or related.

I guess I'll uninstall Reaper and try again from scratch.

Thanks for the replys, guys

Bevoss
01-20-2007, 06:48 PM
It's not unusual for the fx plugins to have unexpected names in Reaper...I wonder why?

One4n5
01-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Good question Bevoss. Wish I knew.

I know one thing... I'm dying to try out this tutorial!

Serendipity
01-20-2007, 07:07 PM

...Damn! I hate being a newbie!! :o

Have you tried Clear cache and rescan directory in the VST preferences?

Do you have one plugin folder or several (root folders that is) and have you correctly entered them in the VST preferences?

Bevoss
01-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Did you try rescanning the vst folder? If that doesn't work, how about put it in a folder by itself, clear the cache and filepath, and rescan the new EZ Drummer folder by itself? Beats reinstalling, well unless you have no choice. It should show up though, no worries here apart from the name.

edit: Serendipity, too quick on the draw for me!

Serendipity
01-20-2007, 07:14 PM
It's not unusual for the fx plugins to have unexpected names in Reaper...I wonder why?

Well, I have no idea but I guess it acquires the name from some info inside the .dll file.

Serendipity
01-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I guess I'll uninstall Reaper and try again from scratch.

Yes, you shouldn't have to uninstall. Give us some info and we'll work it out. :)

One4n5
01-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Ha! U guys are rapid!
I was just returning to post that I sucessfully found it by going to options>FX Plugins settings>Plugins>VST>Auto Detect. It then found my root(C:\Program Files\Vstplugins)and added dfh Toontrack & a Kompakt plug that came with Acid.

Funny thing though, It loaded the pix of the drum set but no data with it. No drums sound when clicked, no groove lib, or so on.

I need to click some more buttons... I love a good mystery.

Much thanks!

Bevoss
01-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Did you give it long enough for the ram to boot up? You can see the numbers ticking over on the GUI. Probably know this but...

One4n5
01-20-2007, 07:51 PM
No, I watched for that but nothing ever happened. The drum set pix popped up very quick, but after that ...nada.

Diogenes
01-20-2007, 08:06 PM
In Reaper prefs you have to check "Always run FX" for EZ drummer to load up properly...

D

Serendipity
01-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Make sure you have Always run track FX checked in the Audio preferences. Also, remember that you have to open up the GUI of EZdrummer when creating a song from scratch or opening a saved song , or it won't load the kit. I have no idea why this happens in Reaper.

Edit: And baam! You draw too fast for me D ;)

One4n5
01-20-2007, 08:47 PM
THAT'S IT!!
Thank you, Gents! Yall have saved me a TON of time.

I owe u a cold one.... or two.... or?????
Hey Serendipity, havent I seen u in some of the other forums, like maybe Roland's VS2480? If so, do u still have/use one?

Thanks again everybody. Now it's tutorial time.

Serendipity
01-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey Serendipity, havent I seen u in some of the other forums, like maybe Roland's VS2480? If so, do u still have/use one?

Sorry, no VS2480 here. I'm on KVR and the Podium forums.

realm123
01-20-2007, 11:27 PM
how does one get and upload EZ Drummer to Reaper?
Thanks.

Bevoss
01-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Sorry, I'm not following you...try again?

rickie
01-21-2007, 01:40 AM
how does one get and upload EZ Drummer to Reaper?
Thanks.

You have to obtain the CD and install it

realm123
01-21-2007, 01:52 AM
I am not too familiar with EZ Drummer. I thought it was a freebie plugin, but after going to their site, I saw it wasn't so free.

psingman
01-23-2007, 06:35 PM
HI, I didn't want to hijack this thread, but I installed EZ drummer today, and got it working. However, I looked at Billy's pics and I don't have any of his settings in the second window over where it says 4/4 and shuffling and all those different bpm's. Am I missing something, as I only see Pop/Rock EZ stuff, the other 2 windows to the right, look the same.

Please help me getting EZ drummer up and running correctly so I can do some backbeats. Do I need the EZ ZFX to accomplish this, or are the midi files for the grooves hiding somewhere? Thanks for assisting, psingman

Bevoss
01-23-2007, 07:02 PM
HI, I didn't want to hijack this thread, but I installed EZ drummer today, and got it working. However, I looked at Billy's pics and I don't have any of his settings in the second window over where it says 4/4 and shuffling and all those different bpm's. Am I missing something, as I only see Pop/Rock EZ stuff, the other 2 windows to the right, look the same.

Please help me getting EZ drummer up and running correctly so I can do some backbeats. Do I need the EZ ZFX to accomplish this, or are the midi files for the grooves hiding somewhere? Thanks for assisting, psingman

Sounds like you have the basic install, you need the DFH add-ons for EZ Drummer, can't remember what they're called but there's Drumkit from Hell, a Cocktail Kit, and a Latin one.

Edit: Not sure I read this properly, try select Pop, than select the groove in the second window, than the variation in the third, and press play on EZD. If that works you can also drag midi files out of the groove window to the track. Also go through the manual, I think there's a flash tuition there by memory.

billybk1
01-23-2007, 07:32 PM
I looked at Billy's pics and I don't have any of his settings in the second window over where it says 4/4 and shuffling and all those different bpm's.

Which pics are you referring to?

Cheers,

Billy Buck

psingman
01-25-2007, 12:47 PM
H'lo, yeah, I do need the addons. I think Billy already has them as he is versed in this area. You know, what I am trying to accomplish is, can this be done? I want to play on top of these wonderful grooves. Do you just open up another track and play on top of them, or can it be done some other way. One thing I did notice is the beats go to the tempo of the song. How can you speed up and slow down the rhythms?

See, I am not a midified person. I usually use my Yamaha keyboard or Boss DR5 and modify it, to suit my song. I have been getting some really nice backbeats using this method, but can see, that with EZ Drummer they are light years better and more realistic. I guess what I am asking is how can you make EZ Drummer more personal? I suppose you can just record right on the drum kit too, but don't really know how to use midi inside of Reaper. If you can direct me to a simple sensible way to understand and do this, please assist, thanks for listening, psingman

psingman
02-05-2007, 08:36 PM
H;lo. I am really getting this EZ drummer thing down using Reaper but need a little more help. How do you use the mixer, inside it, to lower let's say snare hits....I mean, I know how to lower the volumer fader, but how do you do it for all the midi grooves, you drop into the midi track you are using for EZ drummer.

I am not using going the separate routing way yet, so do you have to set the mixer for the whole track or what? It seems it should be doable for each midi file you drop in. Well, hope you can help, thanks, psingman

wickerman
02-06-2007, 07:25 AM
H;lo. I am really getting this EZ drummer thing down using Reaper but need a little more help. How do you use the mixer, inside it, to lower let's say snare hits....I mean, I know how to lower the volumer fader, but how do you do it for all the midi grooves, you drop into the midi track you are using for EZ drummer.

I am not using going the separate routing way yet, so do you have to set the mixer for the whole track or what? It seems it should be doable for each midi file you drop in. Well, hope you can help, thanks, psingman

psingman,

It's best to separate each track out, not just for routing but for separate processing of each drum at the mixdown stage. You would treat a kick differently than a snare, so separating them out makes the most sense. Just follow the tutorial in this thread that Serendipity put together - fantastic tutorial and very easy to do in Reaper. Once you do that, set it as a template so that it is recalled each time you open Reaper.

Without doing this, to my knowledge, the only way to adjust the individual snare hits is to lower the snare fader in the EZDrummer mixer.

HTH,

Geoff

psingman
02-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all the help. Guess it is best to just follow the trails that have been blazed by other HDdrummers like Serendipity. I didn't want to use a lot of tracks but probably the way to go.

See, I think what is needed is a different mixer setting for each part of the song, like verse, chorus, bridge. Whoever designed these programs should interact with songwriters and engineers, to realize that would complement their wonderful softwares. I really believe I would be instrumental in helping develop this, as I have been recording now for about a year and a half, lots of stuff, and I can see the wants and needs of the recording musician. Anyway, will keep checking all these threads, appreciate all the assistance, psingman

geoff firebaugh
02-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Another trick I learned using EZD.

Drop your groove into RPR
dbl click to opent the midi editor.
say you want to lower the volume of the snare, click the first snare hit, hold down shift, and click the last snare hit, this will highlight all the snare hits in that particular file. then hover your cursor over any one of the hits until you see vertical arrows. click and drag up or down and this will raise/lower the velocity of all the snare hits in that segment. I actually prefer this to using the fader in alot of instances, because it actually changes the dynamic of the snare hit, not just the volume...

hope that helps

cheers
geoff

Serendipity
02-11-2007, 03:29 PM
click the first snare hit, hold down shift, and click the last snare hit, this will highlight all the snare hits in that particular file.

An easier way would be to right-click the snare key in the piano roll thus selecting and highlighting all hits on that note.

giant016
02-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Where else could I find EZ drummer in Reaper? It's not listed under fx, and neither is the one that has a different name but is still EZ Drummer. The only VSTi's that I've got are Reasamplomatic5000, ReaSynDR, and ReaSynth. I tried scanning for new plugins and everything, no luck.

Does it come in Repear or is it a seperate program that just works with it?

billybk1
02-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Does it come in Repear or is it a seperate program that just works with it?

It is a separate commercial VSTi plugin:

http://www.toontrack.com/ezdrummer.asp

Cheers

Henry-S
02-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Seren

Thanks very much for the excellent tutorial :)

The one thing I am wondering is whole this how Routing thing works with regards to the channels 1/2 etc. I understand the process of routing, sending signals around to hopefully help you achieve things. The reason for my question is.

Because on the matrix your routing say for example

Kick drum - 1/2

Snare top 3/4

etc

but I assumed that the singals from Ezdrummer were Mono? so why does it have to be 1/2 and 3/4 could it not just be 1,2,3,4?

Its probably something really simple, but I am interested in learning more about routing capabilities in Reaper and would appreciate any explanation on why it works like that?

Great tutorial and appreciated very much!

-------------------------------------------------------------

/puts on prat cap

I see that EZdrummer is sending Left and Right for each signal so its going to be kick left 1, right 2, snare t left 3, right 4 etc etc

silly me :)

Serendipity
02-21-2007, 04:17 PM
I see that EZdrummer is sending Left and Right for each signal so its going to be kick left 1, right 2, snare t left 3, right 4 etc etc

silly me :)

Yep! 8 stereo outputs from EZdrummer ;)

Thanks for the kind words. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (we have a horrible snowstorm outside so the warmth is welcome hehe). I'm happy to help in any way I can with things I do know. There are so many things about Reaper that I haven't grasped yet but if we help each other everybody wins.

Henry-S
02-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Seren maybe you can help me with this then.

I have the setup as above but the weird thing is how do I get it to solo an individual drum?

For example getting the kick drum on its own. If I solo the Kick track I can see the input going up and also the input on the Ez drummer midi track but I cannot hear any sound?

The only way I can hear it is by having the group channel on? but when I turn on the group channel, I obviously can then hear all the other tracks :(

anyway to get around that?

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have managed to get it to work but I am having to do this

mute all the drums apart from the one i want to listen to. Surely having the Kick drum Solo and the Group Soloed at the same time is the same as having Group Solo and all other drums apart from kick muted?

Seems the only way I can listen to the drums seperately is to mute all the parts I dont want and leave the one I want to listen to, surely that acts the same as solo?

Or am I being silly?

Serendipity
02-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Hint...solo-in-place (alt+click on the solo button). :)
Check the Audio preferences to change this behaviour.

Also press F1, scroll down to the bottom and check out the Mute Button Modifiers and the Solo Button Modifiers in the keyboard shortcuts list.

Hope this helps.

Bevosss
02-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Preferences-Audio...check this box

solos default to in-place-solo (alt-click does a normal solo)

Staccato
03-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Serendipity, that's alot of work on your part, it is very good of you to spend some of your time in such a manner. I'm reluctant to even mention this after all of the work you've put into this tutorial. Obviously, after configuring this routing, the project would be saved as a template to avoid a do-over, so I think it would be prudent to configure the MIDI Source track with the entire 16 channels OP of EZDrummer. Other expansion kits may use different configurations/quantities of EZD OP tracks/channels, but still 16, even though, in this case, only 14 are used. Also, the track itself may be saved as an EZDrummer template for configuring future expansion paks, and having the full 16 in the track template would be good, too.

Serendipity
03-08-2007, 03:27 AM
Naturally you can set it up any way you want, including the last two outputs and even separate tracks for the MIDI if you fancy that. Templates didn't even exist when I wrote the tutorial but it sure is handy now. Back then (in the ancient times of Reaper ;) ) we saved the whole project as 'kind of a template', believe it or not :eek: :p

m_gant
03-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Long time SX and ACID user looking to possibly migrate.

Excellent tutorial got me up in no time.

IS there anyway for the <piano roll> or the <MODE:named notes> to actually display the name of the instrument...IE kick, snare.

I am so used to using all DFH stuff with a map. There must be a way to assign names to the midi editor. Please say yes?!?

Thank you!

Serendipity
03-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Unfortunately for us users of EZdrummer, DFH, Superior there's no such option yet. No drum maps either. Certain VSTi's report notenames to Reaper but not the above mentioned ones. We need drum map support. Not in the near future I'm afraid as Justin has got a couple of million other "more important" features and requests to fulfill first...:rolleyes: ;)

bong hits for jesus
03-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Ah! Nice!! Thank-you very much!!

Webb
05-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Please help this midiot out. I have very limited experience with midi and computer recording. I was previously using ezDrummer with a Korg PadKontrol in Acid and it worked fine. But I keep reading all the great things about Reaper and decided I needed to try it out.

No luck getting output from ezDrummer. I thought I followed Serendipity's excellent tutorial to a T, but I must be missing something. When I drag a midi file onto track 1 and hit play, I see the MIDI blinking in EZDrummer but I'm not getting any sound.

The meters in the ezdrummer midi are bouncing as well, but not the master meters. Does anyone have a clue what I did wrong? I tried it 3 different times now, all with the same result.

Thanks in advance for helping the newbie!

Bevosss
05-17-2007, 09:58 PM
I uploaded some track templates for you...just add them to documents and settings/user/application data/reaper/track templates

Then right click on the tcp in Reaper, choose insert track template, choose which template to insert.

Drag the midi loop onto the kick track, and play.

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/21020/EZ%20Drummer%20Track%20Templates.rar

mr. moon
05-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Please help this midiot out.

...No luck getting output from ezDrummer. I thought I followed Serendipity's excellent tutorial to a T, but I must be missing something. When I drag a midi file onto track 1 and hit play, I see the MIDI blinking in EZDrummer but I'm not getting any sound.

Thanks in advance for helping the newbie!

Here's a post to another post in which I posted couple of track templates I pieced together which are a bit different than others people are using. Rather than placing the MIDI file in one of the drum tracks (i.e. the kick track) you can place it in it's own track, which minimizes the confusion I still have with anything MIDI.

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77239&postcount=8

(...I'm a fellow midiot!)

Good luck!

-mr moon

Webb
05-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Thank you both for the info and templates. I can't wait to get home tonight and try it out.

One thing I need clarity on:

In Serendipity's tutorial, it says to drag the midi loop onto midi track 1 which I did, but got no sound. Bevosss says to drag the loop onto the kick track.

Maybe it's two completely different set-ups, but which track should I be dragging the loop to?

Bevosss
05-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Those templates I posted were created by Billy Buck, and routed so the kick track contains the midi. There's a few ways you can do it so feel free to experiment, I just wanted to get you started with some sound. :)

mr. moon
05-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Thank you both for the info and templates. I can't wait to get home tonight and try it out.

One thing I need clarity on:

In Serendipity's tutorial, it says to drag the midi loop onto midi track 1 which I did, but got no sound. Bevosss says to drag the loop onto the kick track.

Maybe it's two completely different set-ups, but which track should I be dragging the loop to?

Dude, read my last post (please).

-mr moon

Webb
05-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Nice...you guys rock! With your help I finally got it to work. Now I don't feel like that much of a dork. Thanks again!!

Bevosss
05-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Here's a post to another post in which I posted couple of track templates I pieced together which are a bit different than others people are using. Rather than placing the MIDI file in one of the drum tracks (i.e. the kick track) you can place it in it's own track, which minimizes the confusion I still have with anything MIDI.

I must try that...I seem to remember you can't change the kick volume without affecting all the volumes, if the kick track is the midi track?? Something like that...I was going to try that anyway, so thanks for the template, I'll try that first.

mr. moon
05-19-2007, 06:13 AM
I must try that...I seem to remember you can't change the kick volume without affecting all the volumes, if the kick track is the midi track?? Something like that...I was going to try that anyway, so thanks for the template, I'll try that first.

No Problemo. Please let me know how it works for you!

:D

-mr moon

Serendipity
05-19-2007, 08:10 AM
I would not place the midi on the kick track or any of the other "output" tracks since it might cause some confusion (especially if you later render the outputs to audio). Either put the midi on a separate track outside the folder, like in my tutorial, or as a separate track inside the folder as mentioned by mr. moon.

bob32069
05-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Serendipity-

I just followed the steps of your tutorial to achieve a similar setup in Jamstix. It works perfectly! I have been trying unsuccessfully for the last 2 weeks to do this but with your tutorial it took only 15 minutes. And of course, in analyzing the setup, it makes complete sense now the way everything is routed.

Thank you ! Thank you! Thank you!

Serendipity
05-22-2007, 07:59 AM
You're welcome! :)

huwe
10-07-2007, 02:24 AM
every time i try to switch ezdrummer kits in reaper (or flstudio for that matter, but that's not what this forum is about), it crashes the program. i can use the alternate kits' grooves but not their sounds. do i have the audio files in the wrong folders or something? any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

jalan
10-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Okay, potentially silly question, but was this tutorial created with version 1.888? That's the version I'm running and, when looking at these screen shots, I seem to be missing some of the options.

For example, I don't have the check boxes next to the individual track numbers, the list of check boxes under "Receives", "Audio Hardware Options", etc. The list goes on, but you get the point.

Anyway, I was just wondering why the difference? Should I be using the new beta version? This tutorial has still been helpful, but I'd like to be on the same page (or in this case, version) as everyone else... Thanks in advance.

J

KillrBuckeye
01-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the awesome tutorial and track templates.

For anyone who is planning to use mr. moon's track templates, please note the following: The "EZDrum Grp" track has a send to the Outputs enabled, which effectively sends the EZdrummer output twice to the Outputs for my setup (because that track is already being routed to "master/parent"). As a result, the drums end up sounding MUCH louder while playing my project in Reaper than when I render the mix. I checked several other sets of EZdrummer track templates available on the forum, and none have the send to the outputs on the Drum Group channel. Maybe mr. moon has this enabled for something specific to his setup, but I think in most cases this will create problems.

mjmartin64
01-21-2009, 06:47 AM
My EZDrummer software just arrived today -- and this thread is like gold dust! Thanks to everyone!

teejb43
01-21-2009, 09:16 AM
I just set up Serendipidy's template. Works perfectly. I had been using BillyBuck's until now, which also works well, however this one isolates the midi and is a better routing solution, it seems. Also, I had to create my own map for EZD from ToonTrack's pdf (really a pain in the butt). If anyone has a better solution than that, I'd sure like to know!

jalan
01-21-2009, 09:37 AM
http://stash.reaper.fm/v/2237/EZD_Rock.txt

Found in the "Resources" link in the header of the forum.

KillrBuckeye
01-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I just set up Serendipidy's template. Works perfectly. I had been using BillyBuck's until now, which also works well, however this one isolates the midi and is a better routing solution, it seems. Also, I had to create my own map for EZD from ToonTrack's pdf (really a pain in the butt). If anyone has a better solution than that, I'd sure like to know!You must have been using billybk1's old track templates. I'm pretty sure I tried his new ones (found here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=70062&postcount=12) and the MIDI was on its own track. But I've tested a lot of track templates over the past few days, so I could be mistaken!

teejb43
01-21-2009, 10:26 AM
You must have been using billybk1's old track templates. I'm pretty sure I tried his new ones (found here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=70062&postcount=12) and the MIDI was on its own track. But I've tested a lot of track templates over the past few days, so I could be mistaken!

Oh, I have some of these too. I believe I may have used the rock template and set it up for the dfh kit, but I haven't used it in a project yet. Now that I look again, this seems like a good solution too.

bharris
03-02-2010, 07:16 AM
I just found this tutorial and it really seems to be perfect - I'm going to try it as soon as work allows.

One question I have is about the use of EZ Player Pro in connection with this setup. I want to play a standard midi file through EZ Drummer, but would like to use the mapping capabilities of EZ Player Pro to convert the file from GM to EZ Drummer format. Would I just insert EZ Player Pro in the FX chain on the "ezdrummer midi" track? Would I need to do any additional routing?

Thanks!

gofer
03-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Can't help with the mapping itself, but as fas as routing is concerned, you're right. Just have EZ Player on the same track in front of EZ Drummer.
No additional routing in the ordinary sense, but you have to click the button labeled 'MIDI' on top of the EZ Player's FX window and check MIDI output -> 'Merges with MIDI input', so you can hear both, EZ Player generated MIDI as well as MIDI that's on the Reaper track played by EZ Drummer.

bharris
03-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Gofer - just to confirm, I would place EZ Player in front of EZ Drummer on the "ezdrummer midi" track - in other words, just on the track that actually contains the midi file to be played?

gofer
03-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Should work. I have it on the same track as EZ Drummer itself. FX-Chain: EZ Player -> EZ Drummer

bharris
03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks!

havey
03-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Ive had EzDrummer for a while now and havnt found a cheap enough host...I have it in FL Studio Express but I cant make tracks there. I want to try EZDrummer in the Reaper demo and followed all the steps in the previous posts, but it will not show up under any Plugin under Virtual Instrument in a new track..What am I doing wrong?

stratman
03-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Ive had EzDrummer for a while now and havnt found a cheap enough host...I have it in FL Studio Express but I cant make tracks there. I want to try EZDrummer in the Reaper demo and followed all the steps in the previous posts, but it will not show up under any Plugin under Virtual Instrument in a new track..What am I doing wrong?

Have you put the file called 'ezdrummer.dll' in the folder where you keep your VSTs. Then created a path to that folder, as described in the section of the Reaper Use Guide called 'Enabling Plug-ins'.

Also, in the VSTi list, it's called 'Dfh Sampler(Toontrack)'.

Pete

scrybed
05-02-2010, 07:50 AM
This is to help those of us who want to write our drums in FruityLoops using only one "instance" of EZDrummer loaded in Fruityloops, and therefore only using one PianoRoll making it much easier to see what we're doing when creating drum tracks with EZ Drummer. Been beating my head this morning trying to figure this out, and I finally got it. If you just want the answer, scroll down. I like to retell my tales....so I'm a masochist...Here is what I tried (and failed):

1. Loading FL inside Reaper and trying to route it so that the drums are multi-tracked. I could never get the routing to work. I could insert EZ Drummer and multitrack its built-in loops but I could not get this to work with Fruityloops, since it'd have to route from the mixer in EZ drummer (from inside FL) to the separated tracks in Reaper...yeah, does your head hurt yet? Mine does.

2. Create a loop in FL, export as midi, use said midi file to control EZDrummer VST in Reaper. My midi files never went over 60 bytes, which is useless. Never figured this out.

3. Create a loop in FL, export each track as a wav file. File sizes were around 14K, but basically empty. Never figured this out either, moving on.

4. Drank coffee, and epiphany. Here is the answer:

--------------------------------------------------

1. Create your drum loop in FL using EZ Drummer. Make all the notes and parts you want, choruses, bridge, verses, stops, fills, intros and outros. Have a blast.

2. When you're ready to multitrack, open the EZ Drummer User Interface, and click mixer.

3. Click the S icon on the kick channel. This mutes everything BUT the kick channel. Export to a wav, call it D:\Studio\[YOUR_SONG_NAME]\drums[YOUR_SONG_NAME]-KICK.wav. When done, remove the S from kick, put it on the Snare, and repeat. Do this for all channels, including the overheads and compressed channels. You can skip Room, not sure what this is for and it sounds like ass. [Edit] sounds like a mic just thrown in the room, but you still don't want it. :)

4. In Reaper, set the right BPM and make 11 new tracks (or less, I'm using the Drumkit From Hell), give then appropriate names and import the corresponding media files (the wavs we just created) per track.

5. Group them together if you want to apply the same effects to them, like reverb, etc.

6. You can now apply effects to individual drums/cymbols inside of Reaper. Enjoy!

If you have any questions I'll be glad to help!

jrhoden
05-04-2010, 02:27 AM
]

thanks for the tut but for me its not working ...WAYYYYYYYYYY too much bleed thru

im unable to sucessfully isolate each drum part without major bleed thru

i followed ur directions to the tee and still bleeds thru

any suggestions?

jrhoden
05-09-2010, 12:47 PM
i got it figured out now..

i had to solo each track inside the drum folder to manipulate with eq,etc

thanks for the tutorial

booyah14
01-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Ok I followed the instructions but can't get it to work? I checked all of the options and believe I set it up correctly. However, when I pull up a groove track and try to play it I get no sound. The midi mixer track shows a red line on the right side of the mixer when a drum sound happens but I don't get the meter moving or any sound. So it definitely looks like it is registering the sound but not playing it back.

I have an old mac and I have not jumped to the newest software update. Can someone please help me out?

planetnine
01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Just trying to get my head round EZD and work out whether it's worth buying, or if I should go straight for Superior Drummer.

~Reading the manual, can I authorise this on a non internet-connected computer? Just copy the numbers across to an internet laptop and then the response back again?

~How many drums is EZD limited to? Can I put a six piece kit in? Is it possible with add-ons, or as it comes?

~how can the drums be mapped to the outputs? The manual says eight stereo outs, but I would want most drums to be mono -can I output to sixteen mono outs or any combinations? I'd like to mix in REAPER, and possibly even print the outputs to TCP, but eight ouputs isn't enough for a six-piece kit plus overhead(s) and room mic(s).

~Does EZD's "humanise" function work on grids I've written, or just the supplied "groove" tracks? I'd like to use it for tracks from scratch and also some replacement jobs. The manual is a little vague on details.

Is there any comparison table about to compare EZD, Superior and any other program like these? If EZD/Superior actually do what I think they're claiming to do, this will make big parts of my job very much easier.

Grateful thanks in advance to anyone who can help me here :)

>