PDA

View Full Version : Installing Reaper on a USB key

Art Evans
01-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Here's how I did it - please chip in with any better ways.

You can either install from the installer, specifying your usb key as the destination, or you can simply copy C:\Program Files\Reaper directory onto the key. The advantage of that method is that all your keyboard shortcuts and color themes will be on the key. The disadvantage is that if you've got other stuff in the Reaper directory (projects and what have you) then you'll need to do some weeding or selective copying.

If you do decide on an install from the installer, you can copy your own KeyMaps and Color Themes folders onto the key over the top of those created by the installer.

Now, copy the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\REAPER into the same directory on the USB key that you've got Reaper.exe in.

Lastly, if you want to have a selection of your own vst effects on the key, copy them into the Reaper\Plugins\FX folder on the key. They can be in a subdirectory of that folder, or even in sub-sub directories. Reaper will load them at startup without you having to specify where they are in preferences (which is important because the usb key will appear as different drive letters on different PCs).

Now, navigate to reaper.exe on the USB key and start Reaper. Go to preferences > Plugins > VST and remove any reference to locations for effects which won't be relevant on other PCs. Maybe remove anything about external editors and control surfaces too.

Lastly, position the windows sensibly on the screen. For instance, if you have a dual monitor setup, make sure that all the windows open on the main monitor. Otherwise, in other setups, Reaper may try to open those windows on a monitor that isn't there. Size them so that they should open on any reasonable monitor you are likely to encounter. Then exit Reaper which will cause the current setup to be saved to the USB key.

Having gone to that trouble, you might want to back up the contents of the key to a hard drive folder.

Here I've loaded the program and a slew of 3rd party effects onto a 128Mb key quite easily.

Paul
01-15-2007, 02:34 AM
Art,

That sounds really interesting and something I may have a go at once I've weeded my freeware plugs folder down somewhat.

Just a couple of things. Presumably plug-ins that require installation from an installer rather than dropping the .dll file in won't work?

And are there any performance issues with this in terms of speed or Reaper detecting soundcards when the USB key is placed in another PC?

Cheers

Paul

Art Evans
01-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I guess you could install effects needing an installer if you could point them to the USB key.

As for speed - doesn't seem at first glance to be a significant issue. I've not tested it on real-world stuff yet. But initial tests seemed encouraging, especially as the USB key I used was a fairly primitive one, not one making any kind of high-speed claim.

Jae.Thomas
02-05-2007, 08:31 PM
adapted to wiki

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Methods_for_running_Reaper_from_a_thumb_drive

yarimurray
02-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Here's how I did it - please chip in with any better ways.

You can either install from the installer, specifying your usb key as the destination, or you can simply copy C:\Program Files\Reaper directory onto the key. The advantage of that method is that all your keyboard shortcuts and color themes will be on the key. The disadvantage is that if you've got other stuff in the Reaper directory (projects and what have you) then you'll need to do some weeding or selective copying.

If you do decide on an install from the installer, you can copy your own KeyMaps and Color Themes folders onto the key over the top of those created by the installer.

Now, copy the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\REAPER into the same directory on the USB key that you've got Reaper.exe in.

Lastly, if you want to have a selection of your own vst effects on the key, copy them into the Reaper\Plugins\FX folder on the key. They can be in a subdirectory of that folder, or even in sub-sub directories. Reaper will load them at startup without you having to specify where they are in preferences (which is important because the usb key will appear as different drive letters on different PCs).

Now, navigate to reaper.exe on the USB key and start Reaper. Go to preferences > Plugins > VST and remove any reference to locations for effects which won't be relevant on other PCs. Maybe remove anything about external editors and control surfaces too.

Lastly, position the windows sensibly on the screen. For instance, if you have a dual monitor setup, make sure that all the windows open on the main monitor. Otherwise, in other setups, Reaper may try to open those windows on a monitor that isn't there. Size them so that they should open on any reasonable monitor you are likely to encounter. Then exit Reaper which will cause the current setup to be saved to the USB key.

Having gone to that trouble, you might want to back up the contents of the key to a hard drive folder.

Here I've loaded the program and a slew of 3rd party effects onto a 128Mb key quite easily.

Holy $**t! This just sold me on Reaper. I'm collaborating with a couple of buddies who are new to DAWs and and don't have a lot of dough. I have a 128MB thumbdrive with the program and some basic plugs on it. I now am able to transfer files to and from their rigs with ease.

It truly is a great time to be alive!

Michael

Art Evans
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Cool.

Actually, on another tack, I had problems with my proper Reaper installation today (subject of another thread) and was able to verify that it wasn't a problem with my PC by running (without trouble) the installation I have on a USB key. So, that's another reason to have such a thing!