PDA

View Full Version : mouse wheel/ zoom in & out weird behavior

Malevo
03-10-2010, 02:44 AM
Hello everybody.

I'm on windows 7 ultimate and I have problems with the mouse wheel reaction of Reaper to zoom in and out, it works completely erratic, it takes 3 or 4 turns of the wheel before Reaper responds and it doesn't responds that much.
I have the Microsoft wireless optical mouse v2.0A and I have the latest drivers.
This happens in both Reaper 64 and 32 bits, it doesn't happen in Windows xp home though.

Any clue of what's going on?
Thanks

Dstruct
03-10-2010, 02:47 AM
I have the latest drivers

Uninstall them and use the default ones from Windows. Known problem with IntelliPoint I think.

Malevo
03-10-2010, 03:09 AM
Uninstall them and use the default ones from Windows. Known problem with IntelliPoint I think.

Actually I installed the new drivers because I was having the same behavior with the default ones.

Dstruct
03-10-2010, 03:10 AM
Ah ok. I have no clue then. I'm on XP.

Malevo
03-10-2010, 03:11 AM
Thank you anyway!

:-)

Havokmann
03-10-2010, 11:15 AM
I have the exact same problem and tried everything you did too, Malevo. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits and my mouse is a Wireless Laser Mouse 6000.

In my case though it only started to happen on this last update (3.35). Up until 3.31 everything was fine for me. I noticed there's a new feature in 3.35 regarding mouse wheel, so maybe they changed a little too much around those parts and we got screwed?

I'm uninstalling everything and going back to 3.31. Will let you know if it works.

- Havokmann

schwa
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
In 3.35, does control+mousewheel still work to zoom vertically? Is it only horizontal zooming that stopped working with this mouse?

Havokmann
03-10-2010, 11:33 AM
In 3.35, does control+mousewheel still work to zoom vertically? Is it only horizontal zooming that stopped working with this mouse?

Yes, both horizontal and vertical zooms are weird.
To be more precise, they didn't actually stopped working, they just work erratically. I just tested them and it seems if you roll the wheel gently, nothing happens. If you apply speed then it moves, but it varies a lot.

I have other functions assigned to mousewheel + keypress, and all of them work perfect, instant reaction and very precise. I even tried reprogramming these keypress + mousewheel to the vertical and horizontal zoom actions and the reaction is the same. So I think the problem is in the zoom function, not the way the mousewheel is being dealt with, as it works perfectly for other actions.

Thanks for your prompt reply Schwa. Impressive. :D

EDIT: Malevo, try using 3.31 while they fix this one. I just installed it and it works like a charm.

schwa
03-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Sorry for the trouble, I think we can sort it though. One last question, does horizontal zoom work properly in the MIDI editor?

Malevo
03-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Hey Schwa, thank you for the ultra fast response, it seems to work as expected now in 3.36 pre 3, at least for me.

I'll keep you posted.

Havokmann
03-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Sorry for the trouble, I think we can sort it though. One last question, does horizontal zoom work properly in the MIDI editor?

Yes it does! Just tested it. Aha! :D

PooFox
03-23-2010, 02:10 PM
im having the same problem now but i wasnt before. i dont use the useless and bloated intellipoint drivers, though i tried them briefly just in case that was the problem. its a high resolution wheel that doesnt 'click' when you scroll it (wireless laser 5000 in my case). it used to work perfectly.

the funny thing is if i assign the action zoom in or out to the mousewheel, it works like before, albeit only in one direction. its the mousewheel relative action thats acting strange. have to really crank on the wheel to get any response. id really like to figure this out because the mousewheel behavior is critical to my workflow.

i recently took a break from reaper but i think i was using the current version previously, did anything change in 3.35 regarding mouswheel handling? its doubly frustrating because the mousewheel handling in reaper is what keeps bringing me back!

nfpotter
03-23-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm having a similar problem.

I have Alt+Mousewheel set up to zoom horizontal (midi cc relative/mousewheel). It works fine on my XP machine at home, but on my new Win7 machine at work, it doesn't. Every other mousewheel-related action works, just not zoom. Weird.

PooFox
03-23-2010, 02:45 PM
yea im on win 7 too, but this worked fine for me not too long ago

PooFox
03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
still dont know what the problem was but if youre interested my solution was to map the zoom in and out keys to the numpad mult and div keys in reaper, and then i used this ahk script to map those to the mousewheel:

#IfWinActive ahk_class REAPERwnd ;; REAPERTrackListWindow1 is the Arranger area
{

^WheelUp::NumpadMult
^WheelDown::NumpadDiv

now it works like it should.

autohotkey (ahk) has a steep learning curve but if you copy this into notepad and save it with a .ahk extension, download autohotkey and put a shortcut to the script in your startup folder, its set and forget. itll get you going again if your desperate enough to bother with all that... it will only affect the mousewheel while in reaper by design. oh and you have to hold control to zoom with the mousewheel.

PooFox
03-27-2010, 01:41 AM
nice, well it looks like this got corrected in 3.4. works now much better than with my script... shoulda waited