PDA

View Full Version : StepBeater: Has anyone successfully used this app in Reaper ???

PRS
03-29-2010, 05:31 AM
I've experienced multiple crashes when using Stepbeater within Reaper. Has anyone successfully been able to use this app ?

My system: Dell XPS lappy with Vista, core 2 duo 2.5 32bit and 4g ram

Thanks.... PRS

http://users.frii.com/saffleck/stepbeater.html

mymymetrocard
03-29-2010, 06:49 AM
i've not used stepbeater, but i've used stepchild without any problems.

sunday morning
03-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Yes I've been using it for some hours and experienced no crashes, running reaper on windows xp and a 4 year old amd64

PRS
03-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes I've been using it for some hours and experienced no crashes, running reaper on windows xp and a 4 year old amd64

That's good news, I was looking forward to using this.

I'll have to find out why it's crashing Reaper ???

Ollie
03-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Would you mind posting a link to the crashing .RPP file? Sometimes it's a totally unrelated plugin initially causing the crash, a crash log* could also help.

* See here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653 (the bit about crash logs and Event Viewer)

PRS
03-30-2010, 04:44 AM
Would you mind posting a link to the crashing .RPP file? Sometimes it's a totally unrelated plugin initially causing the crash, a crash log* could also help.

* See here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653 (the bit about crash logs and Event Viewer)

Sorry but I'm not familiar with an rpp file.

If you could tell me where to find it I would gladly provide it ....

Ollie
03-30-2010, 07:42 AM
.RPP is the file extension of your Reaper project file, just upload this without media files. Or list all the plugins you're using in that project.

(Curse you Microsoft for hiding extensions so that people often don't know what that is anymore.)

sunday morning
03-30-2010, 07:56 AM
The rpp file is your project file. If you save a song, a project, the resulting file will be nameofthesong.rpp. That is the file to post.

PRS
03-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Thank you...

That would be easy, I had only one track with Stepbeater followed by SFZ with a small drum soundfont loaded. Kept it simple, just to test it out. All is fine until I hit start, then the screen gets white-ish and Reaper locks up.

However, I was able to get it running today without any crashes. Which brings me to another concern. Stepbeater has a drag drop feature. I made a very simple beat to test it. Though, when I dropped it in Reaper, it was out of line. Shifted to the right, as you can see in the pic. (Note: Adding that last note creates a new 9th part at the end)

When I used EZPlayer's drag and drop, I do not have this problem.

Any thoughts ???

http://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/840307/reaper%202.jpg

PRS
03-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Anyone ???

PAPT
03-31-2010, 02:26 PM
I have problems with both Stepchild and Stepbeater.
I use a Dell Core2Duo.Maybe the Dell motherboard or something else in there doesn't like something about these apps.

I'll take a look later and see exactly what the problems were that I was having.

PRS
04-02-2010, 04:49 AM
That would be very helpful, thank you.

Alxi
04-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Tried it.

Althought it seemed very promissing at first, i had some glitches ( reapeted notes ) happening every two bar or so. Sadly unusable !!

The only thing i miss about sonar is the new step sequencer, wich reaper had something like it

-Alxi

PRS
04-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Tried it.

Althought it seemed very promissing at first, i had some glitches ( reapeted notes ) happening every two bar or so. Sadly unusable !!

The only thing i miss about sonar is the new step sequencer, wich reaper had something like it

-Alxi

Did you experience the misalignment of notes in Reaper using the drag and drop as shown in the pics above ???

PAPT
04-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Sorry, I forgot about this.

It is working now. Possibly the problems that I was having earlier had to do with Stepbeater conflicting with other VSTi in the project.

The only problem I saw just now was that the first time through a pattern it would get stuck at some notes and then continue on. After the first run through it plays OK.

PRS
04-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Sorry, I forgot about this.

It is working now. Possibly the problems that I was having earlier had to do with Stepbeater conflicting with other VSTi in the project.

The only problem I saw just now was that the first time through a pattern it would get stuck at some notes and then continue on. After the first run through it plays OK.

Thanks...

Have you noticed the misalignment of notes when using the drag and drop as in the pics I've provided ???

Wolffman
04-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks...

Have you noticed the misalignment of notes when using the drag and drop as in the pics I've provided ???

Yeah I just tried it and it miss aligned the notes as in your pic , it also didn't put all the notes in the midi item either.

I think i'd prefer to work directly in the midi editor.

Cheers

rictheobscene
04-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Tried it.

-Alxi

If I need a step sequencer, I just host FL-Studio as a VSTi. IMHO, it's step sequencer is the absolute best in the business.

Alxi
04-05-2010, 05:43 AM
If I need a step sequencer, I just host FL-Studio as a VSTi. IMHO, it's step sequencer is the absolute best in the business.

I have to agree with that but i like to do everything in the same program so i'm always on the look out for a possibly good step sequencer to use inside Reaper

PRS , i haven't try to drag n drop

-Alxi

rictheobscene
04-05-2010, 05:49 AM
I have to agree with that but i like to do everything in the same program so i'm always on the look out for a possibly good step sequencer to use inside Reaper

PRS , i haven't try to drag n drop

-Alxi

There are definite advantages to working in one program. Minimizing the number of parts is definitely good practice.

You know, camel space has a step sequencer (I think it is 128 steps). I have always used it as a trance gate, but I wonder if it could be used like a traditional step sequencer. I'll have to check the manual and have a go with it.

carbon
04-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Tried the drag 'n drop.

Yes, it offsets and also comes with a wrong tempo.
100bpm item aligns with the project gridlines if the tempo is set 99.896bpm inside the item (ignoring 100bpm project tempo).

PRS
04-06-2010, 04:50 PM
That's disappointing.... I'd love to see something like this in Reaper some day.

PAPT
04-06-2010, 11:35 PM
I tried drag and drop.
It puts the notes off by about 1/2 beat.

The original was called StepChild.
Step Beater was based on that.

Try finding StepChild. It isn't as full featured as StepBeater though.