PDA

View Full Version : Stelzbock theme

stelzbock
02-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Hey guys... beacuse I never really was happy whith any of the themes, I started to create my own... to see how stressful this is and how long it takes. To all of you who finshed a theme: respect. There are so many icons...puh.

So, whatever, I have not finished my theme but I wanted you to comment my work. Is Ok that way? Or change requests :) ? I reaplaced icon by icon but there are still some icons made by akoustic.

My goal was to keep it clear. Not too many colors...

Update 07/02/19

Here it is:

Ok, now I've finished the last icons and the toolbar icons. So I+'m gonna release it. Now. Please test, if there are any problem with it.

For the link see attached file below.

http://home.arcor.de/janwedel/pics/Reaper/stelzbock_theme_v0.9.PNG

Cheers, Jan

malcolmj
02-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Very nice, those new icons look great. :)

I'd be interested to see if you could come up with replacements for the rest of the icons as well.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

stelzbock
02-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Very nice, those new icons look great. :)

Thanks! :)

I'd be interested to see if you could come up with replacements for the rest of the icons as well.

Yeah, me too! :D For some icons I very quick ideas, for some not... What I need are the monitor icons, and all of the project icons on top. And I don't like the record arm buttons. I will change them.

Jae.Thomas
02-16-2007, 04:43 PM
very cool, thanks!

smasha
02-16-2007, 07:26 PM
One word.

Awesome!

Alsion
02-17-2007, 04:29 AM
Hey Stelzbock!
I'd rather like to write in german... Aber dann versteht das ja keiner ;)

For me it's the best theme so far. No joke. It has nice colours and the icons look very neat! Thumbs up!

See you at HR.de :D

Greets,
Alsion

kilroy
02-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Wow!!! Keep going!

billybk1
02-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Nice job! :)

Justin
02-17-2007, 10:46 AM
RIGHT ON! that looks fantastic!

stelzbock
02-17-2007, 11:03 AM

Hey Justin...to hear that from you honours me and will keep me goin on. ;)

BUT you're the guy who makes my life really hard because of the terrible small 16x16 icons :(

OK, that's the challenge :D

teej813
02-17-2007, 11:54 AM
hey stelz. Very nice, bud!

tj

Jae.Thomas
02-17-2007, 12:41 PM

wow, you sure piqued justin's interest here!

new default skin maybe?

tonyg
02-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow, that is one of the best looking themes I've seen.
Very subtle background, nice color choices, has a very sleek and balanced look to it.

Hope you decide to complete this.

Tony

P. Rene
02-17-2007, 02:57 PM
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ummmm, where's solar lol!

Man am I drooling for this 1.

catscandal
02-17-2007, 08:45 PM
yours are the best buttons IMO, by far. Please do keep going as a full set of buttons like this will make Reaper look completely 'professional' and on a par with all the eye-candy DAWs.

keep up the great work

eMaRe
02-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah, this theme looks completely professional. VERY VERY nice!!

stelzbock
02-18-2007, 04:46 AM
Thank you, thynk you!!!

I hope this evening I will find the time to complete it!

Jae.Thomas
02-18-2007, 05:04 AM
we need alternately coloured tracks in it however... :)

edgecrusher
02-18-2007, 05:44 AM
hey stelz!

beautiful work!

jetzt bräuchte ich nur noch ein theme das zu meinem tb202 passt ;-)

keep on rockin!
edge

likenokevin
02-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Very cool. Will you be sharing this?

stelzbock
02-18-2007, 12:46 PM
we need alternately coloured tracks in it however... :)

I wanted to color them equally because I find it really inconcise if you have alternately colored track background and some muted and then you have the color of the background wich is the timeline color!

And yes, I will share it if it's done. ;)

stelzbock
02-18-2007, 04:36 PM
OK, v0.9 is released...

Check it out, give me some feedback...

Cheers, Jan

LOSER
02-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Wow, that looks like from a total different planet or something, very cool, even though I dislike the waveforms, maybe color them in the lite red (like the record button) and lite blue...

Jae.Thomas
02-18-2007, 05:22 PM
looks good, perhaps the toolbar icons can have a little more color in them tho.

Solar
02-18-2007, 06:09 PM
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ummmm, where's solar lol!

Man am I drooling for this 1.

Solar is right here my man! And The only thing i can say with this THEMES is simply: WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!! !

Holy!!! "stelzbock" my man, this is the best so far and its now one of my favorites if not my Favorite!! Now we're talking some serious stuff!!

Thanx again!!

edgecrusher
02-18-2007, 06:42 PM
stelz, this theme seriously kicks ass!

personnaly, i'd prefer a slightly lighter background color in the sequencer (some kind of dirty white/light gray) to have a contrast.

but that's my problem, not yours ;)

great job!
edge

haggan
02-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Extreme fine work, i would say in german: "Oberkracher!"
thanks for sharing

Newguy
02-18-2007, 07:51 PM
This is excellent work!

I hope the competition heats up for the best themes and they just keep getting better.

malcolmj
02-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Great stuff! Glad to see you did the rest of the icons. :)

stelzbock
02-19-2007, 01:07 AM
@LOSER:

Hmm, I will check this out. But I really tried a lot. And what IMO is problematic with most of the other skins is that they use too many colors, especially in the track view and the items... Maby a light blue but be Ok, a red not. Because it should be a color that is found somewhere else in the theme even if there's no button active.

@edge: Yeah, the toolbar icons are not 100% perfect IMO, but it was really tough to get a similar look and all nessecary information in it. I really wish the tool bar and transport icons would be 32x32. The TCP icons are absolutely OK in 16x16.
Anyway, I may change the color a bit... ;)

@At all: More comments! It's v0.9, so I still collect opinions ;)

(Es tummeln sich ungewöhnlich viele Deutsche hier im Forum, hmm? :D)

Cheers Jan

sebas777
02-19-2007, 04:10 AM
Stelzbock, can't find words to say, how much I love this theme. It's beautiful.

Some Mac, some Linux, some Logic - painted with Leonardo's hand :) ! Thank you so much !

General Contact Unit
02-19-2007, 04:20 AM
Disabled FX button amber, please.

teej813
02-19-2007, 04:22 AM
Looks great, stelz.

I'm pleased to see that your buttons work well with almost any dark theme!

teej

LOSER
02-19-2007, 04:40 AM
@LOSER:

Hmm, I will check this out. But I really tried a lot. And what IMO is problematic with most of the other skins is that they use too many colors, especially in the track view and the items... Maby a light blue but be Ok, a red not. Because it should be a color that is found somewhere else in the theme even if there's no button active.

Well, it's your theme (I can edit it myself later, anyway :D [puts evil grin on face].)

(Zu deiner letzten Frage: Ja, scheint so.)

stelzbock
02-19-2007, 05:14 AM
Disabled FX button amber, please.

Yeah... I thought about it before... But on all of the other icons amber means another function, not disabled but I agree, that the greyish button is not really perfect ;)

OK, for the next one I will change it or at least see how it look together with all of the rest.

@all: Some requested a bit brighter background color. I agree that bright looks better on the first view, but its exausting for the eye. The best you can do is black background and white text.

I really experienced this a lot, beacause I used a really light-colored theme for REAPER and using FL in reWire mode. So I was switching the whole time.
And everytime I switched to FL, it was much more comfortable to my eye.

So if you work a long time continuously, the darker theme is better.

Maby I will do a ligth theme for the part-time users :D

General Contact Unit
02-19-2007, 05:54 AM
Yeah... I thought about it before... But on all of the other icons amber means another function, not disabled but I agree, that the greyish button is not really perfect ;)

OK, for the next one I will change it or at least see how it look together with all of the rest.

The brain is taught: mute is amber. Therefore amber FX are muted. The brain distinguishes amber easier from cyan than cyan from darker cyan. Easier means less processing for the old wetware. Saving neuronal firings one firing at a time.

General Contact Unit
02-19-2007, 05:59 AM
Gray in the middle of activated buttons not good.

stelzbock
02-19-2007, 06:41 AM
The brain is taught: mute is amber. Therefore amber FX are muted.

1pt for you ;) I'll change it.

But what about the grey in the middle? Do you mean the toolbar icons? I wanted them to look like there is ring of light around them... Why is it not good? If you have again such a good explanation I may also change it, but at the moment I like the way they are... :D

givem-fear
02-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Nice job.

Don´t know if the green shadow at the scroll-bar ist desired,
but with "Main window 3D shadow" R/G/B set to 38/46/46
it will disappear

stelzbock
02-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey thank you!!

No it was absolutely not desired! This is a bug! You can try it. If pick black, its black. with a very dark gray it's any color (green, or amber...) if you go lighter to a not so dark gray it's gray again!

I will pick a color that works for the next release!

Eli
02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I love it, very well done!

I like the grey in the middle of the toolbar icons, it gives it a nice solid / translucent effect.

Automation Mode: maybe a different color for each mode, something like the record monitoring icons?

Thank you.

stelzbock
02-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I love it, very well done!

I like the grey in the middle of the toolbar icons, it gives it a nice solid / translucent effect.

;)

Automation Mode: maybe a different color for each mode, something like the record monitoring icons?

Not too many colors...! I thought about different colors before, but there would be 4 different color. You would never know, which color is which function... So if you wanne know, klick on it :)

@ALL:

I consider to change the fx icon into the letter f, serif font, italic face... what do you think? Cause maby people new to REAPER wouldn't know that this is the FX button...

Jae.Thomas
02-19-2007, 01:01 PM
;)

I consider to change the fx icon into the letter f, serif font, italic face... what do you think? Cause maby people new to REAPER wouldn't know that this is the FX button...

considering your reasons, its probably a good idea.

givem-fear
02-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey thank you!!

No it was absolutely not desired! This is a bug! You can try it.

I know it is a bug. I´d also been struggling with this. ;)
But it could have been possible that you intentionally chose this color.

... if you go lighter to a not so dark gray it's gray again!

I will pick a color that works for the next release!

As I wrote, you don´t need a lighter grey.
Blue +1 is enough -> R/G/B 38/44/46

Henry-S
02-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Looks a great theme, going to be trying this one out later on :)

Solar
02-21-2007, 12:35 PM
;)

Good idea as Jason already mentioned it but leave this THEME the way it is and make a version 2 of it for those who woudl prefere to have the Fx button to be F... me i love it just the way it is. But ofr sure for NEw Reaper user, would be a great idea.. Keep it coming man!!! love it!!

Count Bassie
02-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Hey Stelz, this is a nice theme. Clean and stark, with nice-to-look-at icons. Cool work, man- I just downloaded it. Thanks!

stelzbock
02-24-2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks for all of your comments!

At the moment I have so much work to do, but as soon as I have some time to breathe I will update the theme. ;)

to be continued...

Sari
02-25-2007, 06:45 AM
A++++++++++++++++++++++++

hansdampf
02-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Best Icons around! Are standard here now.

schwa
03-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Everybody loves them stelzbock buttons. But I wanted them brighter. Here they are, with more contrast and saturation.

[Edit: removed the attachment, link to separate thread containing the bright buttons here: http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6838 ]

acileli
03-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I've bounced around from one host to another, and I must say this is definitely my favorite UI/skin thus far. The color selection, the icon design, combined with Reaper's layout just make for a very comfortable environment to work in.

Perfect, although i'd look forward to seeing any variations on this theme.