PDA

View Full Version : Make my guitar sound like GnR!!!

sumpm1
03-01-2007, 09:48 PM
I really want to get my guitar to sound similar to Slash's guitar on "Civil War." I tried eq'ing for a couple of hours, and the sound is always off. I took all of the eq off, and am posting the project for you to try to eq the guitar to get it to sound like the original. The track is beat-mapped, so you can loop one of the 3 sections and go at it.

Just hit the solo button on the "Original Mix" track to A|B compare my mix and the original.

Thanks

http://putstuff.putfile.com/53805/1290257

P.S. Sorry about the Putfile link, I have nowhere to host, just follow the directions, just hit "next page" through 3 sites before downloading.

Bevosss
03-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Are you using a Les Paul, neck PU through a Silver Jubilee Marshall? That would help more than eq.

I think he used a Boogie Studio 22 unmiced to get the endless feedback with the nice harmonic overtones, and wound it in when needed with a volume pedal.

I don't have a chance to listen at the moment sorry.

todd24
03-01-2007, 11:10 PM
If your not using a Les Paul.........you aint geting there.

Besides most guitar players, Slash included, sound like themselves. It has as much to do with his playing style as his guitar and amp.

You need to put the file somewhere it will stream. Putfile is too many steps to get to the file.

cAPSLOCK
03-02-2007, 12:10 AM
They are right about the guitar/amp combo. Its a key. But overall you need a little more around 3k and a little less around 70hz. You also need to double the track, pan them right and left and make the left one a little darker.

Here's is a rough EQ setting:
http://img465.**************/img465/5656/eqrc5.png

sumpm1
03-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Are you using a Les Paul, neck PU through a Silver Jubilee Marshall? That would help more than eq.

I think he used a Boogie Studio 22 unmiced to get the endless feedback with the nice harmonic overtones, and wound it in when needed with a volume pedal.

I don't have a chance to listen at the moment sorry.

Yeah I wasn't gonna mention that I am not spending thousands on tone, I would love too though. I'm just trying to get something similar. I am using Amplitube and my BC Rich.

Henry-S
03-02-2007, 04:45 AM
Your not going to get the same tone, because your using

1. Amplitube
2. BC Rich (with no doubt no very good pickups)

Slash will be no doubt using a damn nice Les Paul which gives a thick tone straight out of the box. He will no doubt have some nice hot pickups on his les Paul Seymore Duncan which will again add to the beef of the sound.

He will no doubt Dual Head/Cabbed the recording and it will be done with TUBES not software.

The only things I can advise are to

1. Double Track your parts and make them EXACT
2. On a 3rd Guitar take a similiar tone but make it thicker!

Feed a little of that 3rd guitar into the center with the others panned at like 35% Left/Right. That will usually give you good results.

Also can I point out its more about EQing everything ELSE to make the guitar sound good. Don't spend ages EQing a guitar when you would be better off Eqing the Bass! Your trying to always create space for things to exist in the mix, so don't just look at the guitar parts

Good Luck :)

sumpm1
03-02-2007, 05:23 AM
Good advice here. 3 guitars is similar to what I will usually do for metal, hence the BC Rich. But eq is powerful, especially if you are using amp sim, since it is one of the few controls you have of overall tone of the guitar sound.

As far as eqing the bass and such, I have a pretty good handle on the bass, and it provides SO much of the overall sound.

Jae.Thomas
03-02-2007, 07:39 AM
it can definetly be done with sims, but not with amplitube 1. Step up to version 2 where the realism is much better, or give revalver mkII a try, its amazing. But yeah, the eq and doubling are nessecary, as well as a paul..

burak
03-02-2007, 09:11 AM
POD or Line 6 products have great emulations for amp and cabinets, and obviously you need a guitar with a humbucker and preferably an axe with a maple&mahogany body.
I don't understand, why would you want to have the exact tone of another guitar player?
It is useful for learning to have a similar tone, but exact replica doesn't make sense to me.

fluffy
03-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Tone is truly in the hands.

Rednroll
03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
P.S. Sorry about the Putfile link, I have nowhere to host, just follow the directions, just hit "next page" through 3 sites before downloading.

I tried to download the file after clicking "next" 3 times and it still didn't download. I don't have a place to upload and share files to either. I found something that has worked out for me and it's free. It allows you to create your own website and additionally upload files to it, where you can post links for a download. They give you 250MB of space to upload and store files. After trying out that Putfile, I can tell you it's a way better solution.

Go here:
http://www.zoomshare.com/

sumpm1
03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
POD or Line 6 products have great emulations for amp and cabinets, and obviously you need a guitar with a humbucker and preferably an axe with a maple&mahogany body.
I don't understand, why would you want to have the exact tone of another guitar player?
It is useful for learning to have a similar tone, but exact replica doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, it is just more for learning, that's what most of us are doing when we mess with Reaper. Very few of us are working commercially. And if it were SIMPLE to get a PRO tone such as this one, I probably wouldn't care about it. But I would still be excited about being able to reproduce the tone of a huge idol of mine. BTW, why WOULDN'T you want to sometimes sound like Slash!!

Thanks

sumpm1
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
it can definetly be done with sims, but not with amplitube 1. Step up to version 2 where the realism is much better, or give revalver mkII a try, its amazing. But yeah, the eq and doubling are nessecary, as well as a paul..

I'm gonna go try revalver. Man, I tried AT2 and each instance is SO hi cpu. One instance had my cpu at 25%... too much for one insert. Also, the vst is SO bloated, it took like 1 minute to load the vst interface. I commend them for trying so hard. But for my taste, I like something smaller and simpler. And if they were going to go gung ho, and charge $400, they should have added MORE amps than just what the original Amplitube had. I would have liked sims of some classic amps. Such as the Mesa Boogie Mark II and Mark IV, and some of the newer expensive amps.

sumpm1
03-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Ok, took me like 5 minutes! I just tried the demo of Revalver. Very interesting layout, with being able to mix and match different heads, speakers etc... Will try more later when I get off work. But Reavalver was heavier on the cpu than AT2. It had my cpu at 50%.

Thanks

ObiK
06-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Slash (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/slash) has announced his own app and Gear Models in the AmpliTube Custom Shop. Her personal Marshall Amps and effects for his signature tones on your desktop, iPhone or iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJNec1MEDzg

bluzkat
06-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Will you quit with the spam already!

Seriously, you have to resurrect a five year old thread so you can pimp your 'Slash' software.

WTF?!?

:confused:

Swede
06-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Now if Slash let me borrow his LP Custom and Marshall rig I would still sound as me. And if I let Slash play on my LP Studio with a cheap Bugera rig he would still sound like Slash.

It's all in the chops...

lxm
06-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Will you quit with the spam already!

Seriously, you have to resurrect a five year old thread so you can pimp your 'Slash' software.

WTF?!?

:confused:

+1 a litttttttttttle much with the IK spamming. NOT what this forum is for!

richie43
06-16-2012, 08:55 PM
To be fair, ObiK has been on this forum for a very long time and has posted many helpful and not-as-spammy responses. Yes, the incessant advertising can be a bit much and maybe misleading, but I just consider him as excited about IK (and his job) as I am about Reaper. Cut him some slack.

chrisharbin
06-16-2012, 09:52 PM
To be fair, ObiK has been on this forum for a very long time and has posted many helpful and not-as-spammy responses. Yes, the incessant advertising can be a bit much and maybe misleading, but I just consider him as excited about IK (and his job) as I am about Reaper. Cut him some slack.

I disagree friend. This thread was bumped from 2007

I'm not going through all the hows/whys but I'm annoyed with "i"k. More power to them and their product, but it's weird to bump a thread from 2007 for such a thing.

richie43
06-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I disagree friend. This thread was bumped from 2007

I'm not going through all the hows/whys but I'm annoyed with "i"k. More power to them and their product, but it's weird to bump a thread from 2007 for such a thing.

Yeah, I know. So he is promoting a product he is all fan boi about. It IS annoying, I didn't deny that. But is it really a big deal or a huge sin? I don't think so. I just said to give him some slack. It's really not a big deal, is it?

bluzkat
06-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I know. So he is promoting a product he is all fan boi about.

I have no problem with someone from IK being on the forum IF they are here for support when someone has a problem or complaint with an IK product.

I have no problem with IK products as I own a few and use them regularly.

What I have a problem with is every thread he steps into is a sales pitch. Like this thread for example... it had been dormant for over five years and Obik pulls it up to push some bullshit software for an iPhone so you can play through Slash's amps.

Obik has been asked several times by different forum members to stop doing this (as recently as two days ago). You might as well let the spambots (not to mention the other software companies) take over the forum.

:mad:

OpIvy
06-17-2012, 03:49 AM
And what.... I can just use amplitube to sound like Slash? WOW!!

Nothing particularly against AT (I do use it from time to time), but their sims are soooooo far off how the real things are supposed to sound.

richie43
06-17-2012, 07:04 AM
I have no problem with someone from IK being on the forum IF they are here for support when someone has a problem or complaint with an IK product.

I have no problem with IK products as I own a few and use them regularly.

What I have a problem with is every thread he steps into is a sales pitch. Like this thread for example... it had been dormant for over five years and Obik pulls it up to push some bullshit software for an iPhone so you can play through Slash's amps.

Obik has been asked several times by different forum members to stop doing this (as recently as two days ago). You might as well let the spambots (not to mention the other software companies) take over the forum.

:mad:

I actually agree with you bluzkat. My main point though is that while I do think it is important to keep this forum spam-free and all, I think it is even more important to keep it positive and non-hostile. It IS only the internet, a forum, and this is NOT a serious enough issue for people to get all freaked out and aggressive about. Not in my opinion at least. So given that the spammy-like behavior is going on AND this goofy anger stuff is also going on, if I had to choose between 1 or the other, I find the spam ignorable and the aggressive reactions silly and unnecessary. Call me a hippie, but I can easily dismiss posts like ObiK's as lame over-zealous promotions, but see the big uproar as over-reactionary and immature. I have benefited from many of your posts specifically bluzkat and regard you as one of the more experienced and helpful people here, so I also expect people like you to be cyber role models in regards to etiquette and general nice behavior as a rep of this forum and product, so no disrespect intended.
That is the super wordy way of saying "Come on y'all, chill out and keep it friendly".

richie43
06-17-2012, 07:05 AM
And what.... I can just use amplitube to sound like Slash? WOW!!

Nothing particularly against AT (I do use it from time to time), but their sims are soooooo far off how the real things are supposed to sound.

lol. Is IK selling famous musicians fingers too? Need those for complete tone replication.......

bluzkat
06-17-2012, 08:21 AM
My main point though is that while I do think it is important to keep this forum spam-free and all, I think it is even more important to keep it positive and non-hostile.

I totally agree with this, but...

how many times do you have to ask nicely? :confused:

:cool:

richie43
06-17-2012, 08:29 AM
I totally agree with this, but...

how many times do you have to ask nicely? :confused:

You are asking me, the hopelessly eternal positive guy? In my world the answer is "However many times you need to ask the question is the number of times you ask nicely". Obviously, we live in a world where niceness doesn't always have it's place and force is needed. But we are then talking about issues where safety, human dignity, equality, or even possible loss of life or liberties are involved. As I said, this is ONLY an internet forum, not a military take-over of a peaceful nation, and it's not a universal act of immorality on a global proportion.... so I think that we all can muster up a little bit of bottomless patience and friendliness for the purposes of being civil and mature. Just my opinion, of course, and this IS a public forum and a perveyorplace of free speech....

bluzkat
06-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Just my opinion, of course, and this IS a public forum and a perveyorplace of free speech....

That's all well and good but this is NOT a public forum. This is a private forum, set up by a company to support 'their' product not any other company or and other personal causes that are being mounted around here recently.

This forum was once a wonderful place where knowledge was passed between folks with a common interest. Sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

I would really love to see Justin drop the hammer on the forum and stop this crap and return the forum to what it was before its too late to go back (might be already :()

And yes, of course, this is only my opinion and I'm guessing not the opinion of the management.

chrisharbin
06-17-2012, 12:25 PM
my question is again.........why is this in the general discussion area still? Considering how many times things are moved SO QUICKLY......seems personal.

richie43
06-17-2012, 01:07 PM
That's all well and good but this is NOT a public forum. This is a private forum, set up by a company to support 'their' product not any other company or and other personal causes that are being mounted around here recently.

This forum was once a wonderful place where knowledge was passed between folks with a common interest. Sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

I would really love to see Justin drop the hammer on the forum and stop this crap and return the forum to what it was before its too late to go back (might be already :()

And yes, of course, this is only my opinion and I'm guessing not the opinion of the management.

And once again, I actually agree with you about what you feel. I just think that because this is NOT a critical or moral issue, there is no reason to NOT keep it friendly. And as far as public/vs private, maybe this is just a discrepancy with semantics. Yes, you need to "register", which makes it "private", it is easy and free to join with just a legitimate email address, so for my purposes, I call this public.

richie43
06-17-2012, 01:18 PM
my question is again.........why is this in the general discussion area still? Considering how many times things are moved SO QUICKLY......seems personal.

This has not caught the attention of any of the admins probably because it is very trivial and maybe even humorous to them. Not huge injustice has been committed, and certainly this is not enough to warrant action from the forum hit squad.....

OpIvy
06-17-2012, 03:02 PM

You should know better than to argue with a hippie...

chrisharbin
06-17-2012, 03:18 PM
hippie?

This isn't the willie nelson amplitube pack.

OpIvy
06-17-2012, 03:25 PM
I think you just gave Obik an idea....

brainwreck
06-17-2012, 03:45 PM
lol. Is IK selling famous musicians fingers too? Need those for complete tone replication.......

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. - Walter

richie43
06-17-2012, 04:22 PM

Yup. That's a whole lot of pent up unreleased anger just waiting to blow behind all of this flower power and pacifism.......

chrisharbin
06-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I think you just gave Obik an idea....

doh!!

bluzkat
06-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Can you explain this? Send me a PM if you want. :confused:

brainwreck
06-17-2012, 05:16 PM
hippie?

This isn't the willie nelson amplitube pack.

Lol @ Willie Nelson endorsement...."We have extensively modeled the sound of the hole in the top of Willie's guitar, down to the exact splinter pattern."

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/3696548223_2f818afb5f.jpg

chrisharbin
06-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Lol @ Willie Nelson endorsement...."We have extensively modeled the sound of the hole in the top of Willie's guitar, down to the exact splinter pattern."

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/3696548223_2f818afb5f.jpg

yep ;)

OpIvy
06-17-2012, 06:09 PM
I love that swampy southern feel with the vomit and whiskey stained cab simulation

chrisharbin
06-17-2012, 06:49 PM
I love that swampy southern feel with the vomit and whiskey stained cab simulation

"welcome to the jungle".......... http://jeffbaij.com/blog/images/puke.gif

Gerry G
06-18-2012, 01:21 AM
If I am wrong here somebody will throw in a different perspective but after years of playing in bars with the odd flash of being able to play bigger venues I am convinced that MOST great guitar tone comes about 65% from the player and about 35% from the gear.

These ratios will vary with the style of music too. Ringing harmonics need both the right crunch or overdrive and the finger touch on the harmonic spots or at least a set up and adjustment that is delivering overtones where needed.

I have seen slow leads played by ok (but not great) players that sound sublime because they fit the song. Nobody can squeeze a great sound out though, without the level of talent that the song requires. It just sounds bad.

On the other hand crap gear can reduce a good competent player to crap sound but just as an ok player can sound great, a great player can sound fantastic on mediocre gear. I call this the 'crossover' or 'crossroads' factor.

The truly heavenly sounds that I have heard have always been at outside venues with great players who have guys to set up their gear, tune it and changeover guitars when needed.

In theory this can be reproduced using a good emulator but the combination of a great day and the energy of a great gig will usually add the cherry on top that goes somewhere near spiritual bliss and that is probably hard to reproduce without the vibe.

My friend. who spent years touring, the other night showed me his setup through Logic and with a mix of high quality plugins that he had specially chosen and tweaked looking for the ultimate tone (for his style). It was great but only made me pine to hear that with his old band playing a live gig in a stadium type environment with everything set up and tweaked for perfection.

In other words I think that superb tone is a combination of things Working harmoniously just like good music is. It can come by accident but is more likely the result of testing, tweaking, practice and being on the road a lot already.

It is obviously possible to get close to perfection in a studio but I do think that it takes a lot of patience and work.

richie43
06-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Can you explain this? Send me a PM if you want. :confused:

I'm pretty sure that this is a joke..... If not, y'all beware of the Angry Hippie....(You know it's my super-hero alter-ego. I lash people with my loooong braid and throw peace-sign throwing stars!).

richie43
06-18-2012, 08:05 AM
If I am wrong here somebody will throw in a different perspective but after years of playing in bars with the odd flash of being able to play bigger venues I am convinced that MOST great guitar tone comes about 65% from the player and about 35% from the gear.

These ratios will vary with the style of music too. Ringing harmonics need both the right crunch or overdrive and the finger touch on the harmonic spots or at least a set up and adjustment that is delivering overtones where needed.

I have seen slow leads played by ok (but not great) players that sound sublime because they fit the song. Nobody can squeeze a great sound out though, without the level of talent that the song requires. It just sounds bad.

On the other hand crap gear can reduce a good competent player to crap sound but just as an ok player can sound great, a great player can sound fantastic on mediocre gear. I call this the 'crossover' or 'crossroads' factor.

The truly heavenly sounds that I have heard have always been at outside venues with great players who have guys to set up their gear, tune it and changeover guitars when needed.

In theory this can be reproduced using a good emulator but the combination of a great day and the energy of a great gig will usually add the cherry on top that goes somewhere near spiritual bliss and that is probably hard to reproduce without the vibe.

My friend. who spent years touring, the other night showed me his setup through Logic and with a mix of high quality plugins that he had specially chosen and tweaked looking for the ultimate tone (for his style). It was great but only made me pine to hear that with his old band playing a live gig in a stadium type environment with everything set up and tweaked for perfection.

In other words I think that superb tone is a combination of things Working harmoniously just like good music is. It can come by accident but is more likely the result of testing, tweaking, practice and being on the road a lot already.

It is obviously possible to get close to perfection in a studio but I do think that it takes a lot of patience and work.

Absolutely agree. Great gear is a luxury, but I have heard music that was so beautiful that i thought I had died, and then discovered that the musicians had mediocre at best gear..... it was the touch and the experience that gave them THAT sound.

ub373nnn
06-18-2012, 08:21 AM
whatever you do, dont buy ikmultimedias slash app , it sounds horrible.save your money.

bluzkat
06-18-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm pretty sure that this is a joke..... If not, y'all beware of the Angry Hippie....(You know it's my super-hero alter-ego. I lash people with my loooong braid and throw peace-sign throwing stars!).

That's what I needed to know... so you're the 'angry hippie'.

I wasn't sure where that was pointed. :D

chrisharbin
06-18-2012, 12:46 PM
I used to be a "collector"

Now I just plug in, get the best possible tone as quickly as possible and make it work. Over it.

ObiK
06-18-2012, 05:28 PM
I used to be a "collector"

Now I just plug in, get the best possible tone as quickly as possible and make it work. Over it.

I was the same way, had TONS of gear (Still do really) but a lot less amps, pedals, drum machines, keyboards and rack gear since I switched over to in the box with Reaper. Now I find it easier and quicker to just plug my guitar in, load up my preset tone and hit record.

So did Slash (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/slash). When he was on the road recording his last album he started using AmpliTube for iPad to record his ideas and send them to his band. He wanted his tone on the go without the bulky amps and pedals and all that. Crazy how technology can change things.