PDA

View Full Version : Disable velocity handle on notes in MIDI editor?

not relevant
11-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Is there an option anywhere to disable the velocity handles within notes in the MIDI editor?

I'm finding it *really* irritating as I'm forever hitting it when I'm trying to move notes.

EvilDragon
11-24-2010, 03:43 PM
View->Show velocity handles on notes.

not relevant
11-25-2010, 04:10 AM
View->Show velocity handles on notes.

Thanks! Was trying to clean a badly recorded MIDI drum track and the velocity handles were driving me nuts!

(BTW: I did search the Preferences dialog for this - didn't occur to me it would be on the View menu)

Sound asleep
11-25-2010, 07:24 AM
ya, those can suck. my 'v' key enables and disables this function. it's very cool when you want to use, but also can get in the way when you don't.

not relevant
11-25-2010, 07:39 AM
ya, those can suck. my 'v' key enables and disables this function. it's very cool when you want to use, but also can get in the way when you don't.

They're a nice idea but I find the notes a small enough target to hit anyway (vertically at least) without having to dodge the velocity line through the middle (and I'm using an A4 Wacom tablet - it must be worse still with mouse!). Still, if I can disable it then it's no big deal.

FWIW though, SONAR 8 is worse than REAPER in this respect - there are several hot areas within and around the note, some of which are not even visibly delimited - clicking or dragging notes in SONAR now is a lucky dip regarding what action you'll trigger. It's obviously intended to make editing quicker but it just slows me down...

Sound asleep
11-25-2010, 08:25 AM
They're a nice idea but I find the notes a small enough target to hit anyway (vertically at least) without having to dodge the velocity line through the middle (and I'm using an A4 Wacom tablet - it must be worse still with mouse!). Still, if I can disable it then it's no big deal.

FWIW though, SONAR 8 is worse than REAPER in this respect - there are several hot areas within and around the note, some of which are not even visibly delimited - clicking or dragging notes in SONAR now is a lucky dip regarding what action you'll trigger. It's obviously intended to make editing quicker but it just slows me down...

true, but in sonar you can choose how those areas react. when i used sonar i just made most areas the same, i don't want sll this fancy click in this area for that, except some simple stuff like stretch the note, or click and drag the note/select.

but ya, the velocity handles definitely get in the way when you want to edit stuff, but i much rather make the handles appear and use them, then go into the other window to adjust the volume of a given note, particularly when you have a chord going on, cause then choosing which note you want to adjust the velocity for can be annoying.

the handles are much easier and adjusting them shows you what velocity the other notes are at as well. i find that's very cool. but like you said, when changing velocity is not your mission, the notes are small enough without cluttering them more with velocity handles. that's why having a nice shortcut key to show and hide the handles i find is pretty key. i would even be fine with just a modifier key, but i think they're all used already, and whatever, hit a button to show them and again to hide them, not such a big deal.

not relevant
11-25-2010, 08:40 AM
true, but in sonar you can choose how those areas react. when i used sonar i just made most areas the same, i don't want sll this fancy click in this area for that, except some simple stuff like stretch the note, or click and drag the note/select.

but ya, the velocity handles definitely get in the way when you want to edit stuff, but i much rather make the handles appear and use them, then go into the other window to adjust the volume of a given note, particularly when you have a chord going on, cause then choosing which note you want to adjust the velocity for can be annoying.

the handles are much easier and adjusting them shows you what velocity the other notes are at as well. i find that's very cool. but like you said, when changing velocity is not your mission, the notes are small enough without cluttering them more with velocity handles. that's why having a nice shortcut key to show and hide the handles i find is pretty key. i would even be fine with just a modifier key, but i think they're all used already, and whatever, hit a button to show them and again to hide them, not such a big deal.

I generally use the MIDI editor only for drums (and usually with drums and cymbals on separate tracks) which means I don't really have to deal with notes overlapping. This means I'm happy to just turn the in-note velocity handles off permanently but I can see this wouldn't be a solution if you often work with chords.

tomatohorse
12-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks! Those have been annoying me for a while now, too. Glad to find the fix.

For me it was in the midi editor view menu (as opposed to the regular view menu) -> piano roll notes -> show velocity...