PDA

View Full Version : Reaper and PC running slow

anthony harvey
01-11-2012, 03:12 PM
hi

Am pretty new to all this.. Have recently installed another graphics card so that I can run 4 monitors with Reaper. All works but Reaper runs slower and slower and evening typing into browser windows is very slow and can stop. I use a fireware Texas card to focusrite audio.

If I don't run reaper the PC seems to run fine

Any ideas?
Thanks
Anthony

richie43
01-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Firstly, welcome to the land of Reaper. This is an awesome forum, lots of help to be found here. Before anyone can even try to help, more info would be great. System specs at least. OS, ram, CPU,how old is your computer? There are so many small things that can cause the same issues. Cheers!

bluzkat
01-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Need some PC specs. Also how big is the project you're trying to run? Are you running a lot of VSTs?

:cool:

Rich is a little faster on the keyboard!! :D

richie43
01-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Also, are you tracking or just mixing? Maybe your buffer is so low and your system can't handle it....? More info.

richie43
01-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Rich is a little faster on the keyboard!! :D

Zzzzoooom......

anthony harvey
01-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi

Thanks for such a speedy reply. It is almost brand new and custom built. i7 -2600 3.4ghz 16 gig memory Asus motherboard Win 7 professional 64 bit etc

it has been running like a dream until I put the second graphics card in so I'm guessing that has broken it.. The cards are lowish end without fans.. I don't need flash graphics.

It has been mega stable for 6 months and eaten anything I have thrown at it.

anthony harvey
01-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Just having Reaper on the screen causes the whole PC to run very slow.. Windows don't drag properly - the screen is not refreshing and there is 'lag'. Mouse also very unresponsive and also keyboard...!

richie43
01-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Hi

it has been running like a dream until I put the second graphics card in so I'm guessing that has broken it.. The cards are lowish end without fans.. I don't need flash graphics.

It has been mega stable for 6 months and eaten anything I have thrown at it.

My first obvious guess is that new graphics card. Especially if Reaper was fine until then. Can you try a different one, or remove it and go back to less monitors and retest Reaper?

anthony harvey
01-11-2012, 03:37 PM
will have a go at that tomorrow.. just wondered if it might have been any sort of known thing before I start ripping bits out.

thanks again
Anthony

richie43
01-11-2012, 03:38 PM
I only use 1 monitor right now so I am unfamiliar with adding graphics cards, but is it possible for multiple cards not being compatible with each other?

richie43
01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
will have a go at that tomorrow.. just wondered if it might have been any sort of known thing before I start ripping bits out.

thanks again
Anthony

None that I am aware of. Your machine ought to eat big projects for snacks and still have room for dessert! I have a "normal" quad core (not an i-monster- soon though!) and I have no issues and can run very large and taxing projects, so I don't think that this is a Reaper specific issue. Good luck, and keep us posted.