Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

recorded midi items are out of time slightly (rounding issue) Issue Tools
issueid=1193 09-14-2009 08:11 AM
Human being with feelings
recorded midi items are out of time slightly (rounding issue)
Issue with start of recorded midi items being not on the bar after recording

Repro is below and original thread with comments on reproducing it is this one below
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...134#post373134

-start new project

-set tempo to 83 (just to make sure you don't get a random one which works again as 120 is fine and works as expected)

-place the edit cursor on exactly bar say 50 (anywhere but the beginning of the song really)

-Insert a new midi instrument, armed and ready to record

-start recording from exactly bar 50 and then stop a few bars out (just press record again to stop it asking for delete or save)

Result for me is that if i click on the item to bring up the info for it i find that my reported start for the item is something like 49:4:99 and not bang on bar 50.

I get it with or without "pdc record compensation".
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category MIDI recording and playback
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version 3.104
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 9
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags Items, MIDI, Rounding

09-14-2009 08:16 AM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Additional info:

- Happens only in 'Record mode: Normal', not in auto punch modes
- Is not depending on the timeline position (happens also on bar 2)
- Selection based cut/trim/crop/etc. does not affect the item overhang despite the offset (hence no risk of creating the infamous tiny snippets when splitting)

Fully zoomed in image:

Note the super miniscule snippet of 1/20th the length of a single sample sticking out to the left (offset varies a bit, sometimes it's 1/5th of a sample).
09-14-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork
Happens only in 'Record mode: Normal', not in auto punch modes
Confirmed.

FIXED (4.32)
09-14-2009 12:14 PM

thanks steindork for additional testing wasn't at my computer all day but it makes me more relaxed about it. I think i just get worried about it because of the other rounding things I keep bumping into, surely there needs to be a overhaul somewhere?

or perhaps it really is a difficult one to solve with the special way reaper handles sample rates.

Still would love to have a lock everything to samplerate mode and quantise midi positions to samplerate too or perhaps this is what it is doing now?

I guess other programs do this but don't show it on their displays so I should forgive reaper for at least being honest! lol

again, thanks.
This petition for a change to Fixed was accepted
01-25-2013 06:35 AM

FIXED (4.32)

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue