Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

MetaData preset manager (yes like all the rest have these days) Issue Tools
issueid=1312 10-08-2009 12:24 AM
Human being with feelings
MetaData preset manager (yes like all the rest have these days)
better preseting

I think that the current preset system in reaper causes to overkilling...

I have few thousands of chain presets already...I try to organize them in folders and give them easy to find names, but it won't help..."one cannot see the wood for the trees"

Metadata would increase the effectivity of the presets/chains *thousands of percents...

Btw- I think it could be much more simple than the pictures below, I think it will be very effective and clean to add a drop down metadata (click on + button to show/hide it) below the Add FX window etc..

So this is pretty simple and extremely powerful when you look for specific sound, or want to save a sound properly for future uses/creativity.

2 pictures instead of 200 words...

SAVE:
[IMG]http://img43.**************/img43/5503/savetageditorz.png[/IMG]

LOAD:
[IMG]http://img12.**************/img12/3685/47181220.png[/IMG]

BTW- It isn't the only way to load/save presets, of course there is also the primitive way to load and save presets (like the current one in reaper).

cheers
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version 3.12
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 33
Users who would not use this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-09-2009 11:16 AM

10-09-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwanta
Not even close...

maybe you should read it again.
10-09-2009 04:54 PM

Sigh. You seem to be describing a categorized preset management system. The FR that I pointed you too is a categorized *media* management system that includes (but is not limited to) audio items, midi items, sequences, FX chains etc... (I assume you read the ReaBINs.pdf file attached to the FR)

from ReaBINs.pdf:
Quote:
FX Chains are a set of one or more plugin states that can be applied to fx chains and single plugins of tracks or items. The FX Chain item in a BIN can be flipped open like a directory in an Explorer-type file manager to reveal plugins and their settings as separate items.
At first glance your FR seems to be a subset of the other one, but I admit that your mockup is not very clear, so please enlighten me as to the big differences between the two FRs.
10-09-2009 11:58 PM

I didn't read something about preseting/metadata there.

the MetaData idea is to tag files (in this case synthesizer/vsti presets) so in the future you will be able to choose preset according to your needs much faster.

for example:
if you want a Bass which is made of Synth and it's Dark and Distorted etc...

You will click on these characters, and the MetaData will show you presets that was tagged with these characters.

[img]http://img183.**************/img183/8186/55162274.png[/img]

PS- KORE 2's metadata should be a better example...
10-10-2009 08:06 AM

Yes, I would very much like to see this in reaper, but it's basically covered in airon's FR.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/196072/ReaBINs.pdf
10-10-2009 09:17 AM

+2 I would second that airon's approach is a better way to go.
11-03-2009 07:58 AM

cool thing for sure, but it _has_ to be:

1. optional (calling it up from the plugin window, seperate from the preset window, to be able to use the preset dropdown as it s now)

2. FASTER THAN THE ONE IN CUBASE (the one in cubase is incredibly slow in loading the patches, it almost feels like the soft synth has to load samples, even if it is a pure synth that only loads the setting)
04-28-2010 02:12 AM

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue