Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Advanced Export options for Regions Issue Tools
issueid=2927 08-31-2010 04:08 AM
Human being with feelings
Advanced Export options for Regions
A nice and very time saving feature for those who do sound design or sound libraries editing (like me) it would be a way to automatically choose to render the regions of a session.

A nice and very time saving feature for those who do sound design or sound libraries editing (like me) it would be a way to automatically choose to render the regions of a session.

This could include options like now to export stems, and the naming of the audio files could use a combination of the track and the region name, with an editable format just like the excellent SWS Markerlist formating.

For the extra mile, it could also offer option to export different qualities on different paths, or as it could happen, just to support the render queue, so that we could choose 2-3 types of rendering we want to do and then start the queue.

Remember, in sound design we usually use 300-1000 and more markers and regions per project, creating variations of effects by using different grouping and routing within the same session with similar files and then we need to export all of these with distinctive names in different directories.

When working with 1000 regions that contain different stems for power levels, let's say weapon sounds, and you want every stem to have different processing and also you need to keep some loops crossfaded with themselves to keep seamless looping, then you need multiple stems export by region and to take the name of the region with the extension of the stem. In example:

Magic_Water_Freeze-Power_Level_01

"Magic_Water_Freeze" is the name of the region and "Power_Level_01" is the name of the group track.

Also in games sound design, it would be great to work with presets on the exporter, like having two different presets, one that saves in a folder with settings on the file format for pc platforms and another on another folder with the same filenaming but other format for iphone development. Or the same functionality for different purposes like testing builds and final releases of the game.

Also a nice touch would be to be able to select which regions you like to export and which not in the export options.

Have in mind that a typical session of mine (and I assume I work as any game sound designer) has around 30-50 animation videos loaded (Thanks to Reaper people for the great video playback they made!!!), around 500 to 1500 regions and 5-10 stems all full with insert effects and media item effects, loops crossfaded on the end and start of each region full automation with reverb tailing and many more stuff we use. That way any sound design I make it's non destructive and makes my work so much fun!!!

This one could be a blast for sound design for games. And the exporting presets would be great for different formats on the end, like if you use one format for Xbox and one for Playstation and one for Web, for the same game title. This also would go a step further the integration of Reaper with Fmod or Wwise projects.

I'm already working on making some tutorial for sound design for games only with reaper and the included effects, the advanced export options would be a blast for that!

Feature Discussion Page:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=63209

Complementary Individual Region Exporting Settings Feature Request here:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3154

Cheers!
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Duplicate
Priority 4
Affected Version 3.66
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 11
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-20-2010 10:25 AM

+1. I posted a virtual duplicate of this yesterday - whoops! This would be awesome.

This could be even stronger with render flags in the region name. Such as:

-m = mono
-s = stereo
-6tr = 6 discreet interleaved tracks (5.1)
-fadeout.* = automatically fade out at the end of the region over * milliseconds
-fadein.* = automatically fade in at the beginning of the region over * milliseconds.
-16b = 16 bit
-48k = 48 khz
-nofx = disable all track fx
-s* = solo track *
-m* = mute track *
-wav = render as wav
-fold.* = render to subfolder*
-ovr = overwrite without asking.

So let's say I have a region named "SpaceWhaleOfDoom -m -ovr -fold.creatures". This time selection will be rendered as a mono file with otherwise default properties to the directory "creatures" located in the default render directory. It will overwrite any same-named file in that directory.
10-20-2010 12:17 PM

10-21-2010 02:13 AM

Great idea!

But we could also use something like "export presets" and then just quickly select the required preset for each export job.

That would be easier because a sound designer could make exports for weapons, user interface, voice, etc. which usually use different settings on the export and are located on different directories.

So with export presets it would be faster to select the preset and the sounds will go directly on the right folder for the right project having the right format.

That would be super!

Also, Space Whale Of Doom!!! You rule man!

Cheers!
12-30-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAgamesound
+1. I posted a virtual duplicate of this yesterday - whoops! This would be awesome.

This could be even stronger with render flags in the region name. Such as:

-m = mono
-s = stereo
-6tr = 6 discreet interleaved tracks (5.1)
-fadeout.* = automatically fade out at the end of the region over * milliseconds
-fadein.* = automatically fade in at the beginning of the region over * milliseconds.
-16b = 16 bit
-48k = 48 khz
-nofx = disable all track fx
-s* = solo track *
-m* = mute track *
-wav = render as wav
-fold.* = render to subfolder*
-ovr = overwrite without asking.

So let's say I have a region named "SpaceWhaleOfDoom -m -ovr -fold.creatures". This time selection will be rendered as a mono file with otherwise default properties to the directory "creatures" located in the default render directory. It will overwrite any same-named file in that directory.
Check this out mate:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=23

Cheers!
12-30-2010 03:20 PM

Individual Region Exporting Options Feature Request here:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3154

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue