Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Too much Buttons on a Toolbar - Problems and Prositions Issue Tools
issueid=5388 10-13-2014 10:40 AM
Human being with feelings
Too much Buttons on a Toolbar - Problems and Prositions
Problems that occurs when there is a lot of buttons in a toolbar, and that the resolution is low.

Hi !

I come here with a feature request concerning display behaviour of Reaper. It concerns, toolbar, button, and GUI size.

BACKGROUND :
I use Reaper on many computers. From a 1920 x1080 screen to a 1 280 × 800 screen on a Mac Air whichs allows me to record things outside.
I share my config online, which allows me to use the same toolbars/buttons etc... from any computers.
And because my 1920 x 1080 screen is obviously my main and most powerful computer, I designed my toolbars for this high resolution.
The thing is... I use a LOT of buttons. I worked with all kind of project, and I want to have accessible access to all kind of feature.

CONTEXT :
The problem come with toolbars that have a lot of actions.
There is actually two behaviours in Reaper, from the Preferences Panel :
  • Don't scale toolbars buttons bellow 1:1. (checkbox is 1)
  • Scale the buttons bellow 1:1 (checkbox is 0). Sizing down the icons is not proportional, there is actually three sizes, normal small and very small).
As you will see, non of them are really satisfying.

PROBLEM 1 :
If don't scale below 1:1,
Top bar buttons and Midi Editor buttons can be truncated.

PROBLEM 2 :
If don't scale below 1:1
Vertical Toolbars in docks are completely messed up if empty spaces are used.

PROBLEM 3 :
If scale below 1:1
Low size became unreadable. Sure my screenshot is an extreme example, but it can appear when we need to have an app (such as open office) and reaper display next to each other and a small screen.

PROBLEM 4 :
Because resize functions works with steps, there is a LOT of unused spaces.

SOLUTION - PROPSOTIONS :
When there is too much buttons on a toolbar, several non-disturbing behaviour can be designed.
  • Have a little (themable) button arrow at the end of the toolbars (right or bottom), which can display the missing buttons with a click in a dropdown menu. Just has in Open Office :
  • Same thing as before but with group of icons (but it would need to allow groups of icons)
  • Allow Multiple Docker Lines (or multiple aligned columns for toolbars in dockers) (wich is suprisingly what the "resizable" behaviour already allow !)
NON-SATISFYING SOLUTION :
Design my toolbars from a lower resolution. This means that I will have far more toolbars than before. Harder to manage.

This is ideas, I hope I explained well the problem and that you will agree with this, feel free to share other thougts about that :)

FEATURE REQUEST HERE

Cheers !
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version 4.73
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 9
Users who would not use this feature 0