Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Open Bug

Accessibility (Mac OS): "input" menus and, possibly, other controls are missing from the list of track controls visible to VoiceOver Issue Tools
issueid=5276 07-13-2014 11:43 PM
Human being with feelings
Accessibility (Mac OS): "input" menus and, possibly, other controls are missing from the list of track controls visible to VoiceOver

I noticed that the "input" menus and, possibly, other per-track controls are not visible to VoiceOver screen reader on Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks). I cannot remember exactly when controls disappeared but they were definitely present in the 3.x releases.

To reproduce:
1. With VoiceOver on (CMD+F5), open Reaper and load up at least two tracks.
2. Using VoiceOver keystrokes (Control+OPTIONS+arrow keys) start navigating between track controls for various tracks and watch / listen the output from VoiceOver.

Actual result:
VoiceOver does not see the "input" menus and, possibly, other controls.

Expected result:
VoiceOver should announce the same controls to blind users as seen by their sighted counterparts.

Please note, I was able to confirm this on Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) only. I do not have access to other versions of this OS.
Issue Details
Issue Type Open Bug
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category OSX particulars
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 4.7
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-18-2014 07:51 PM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Sorry for the trouble! I just tried that on Snow Leopard and it (kind of) works, you just have to wait quite a while ("REAPER busy") until the track panel element gets the VO cursor. What OSX version are you using?
07-18-2014 08:46 PM

I am using Reaper with Mavericks (10.9). Please note, many controls, such as "mute", "solo", "record arm", record monitor", track name, track number, etc, are visible but not the ones mentioned in the subject of this thread.
07-20-2014 05:22 AM

The Reaper Busy message seems to go away and reaper becomes a lot more responsive with voiceover running if you close the docker window. Also in addition to the input drop down menu not being visible,it doesn't appear that the meters are visible to voice over either.
07-23-2014 11:50 PM

How do we ensure this issue gets noticed? Should it be flagged or forwarded to someone on the development team?
07-30-2014 04:48 PM

Hi, I am also a blind user of the latest Reaper on Mac OS10.9.3 Mavericks, with Voice-over. I am extremely impressed by how accessible it is, especially when you add the Keyboard Ninja keymaps and the SWS Extensions. I am able to see the record input menu, but there is no way to see the input or output DB reading.

I don't think it would take much for Reaper to do something about this. We just need some text on the screen readable by Voice-Over containing the relevant meter readings. I'm optimistic and hopeful that if the Reaper folks know how accessible their program is, then they would be happy to spend time ensuring that accessibility is maintained and improved in future releases. It is incredible how accessible Reaper currently is, and it's exciting to imagine how it might be improved in the future.
I think contacting the developers directly could be a plan.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue