Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Use MIDI CC to control VST parameters in audio tracks Issue Tools
issueid=3833 12-23-2011 04:48 AM
Human being with feelings
Use MIDI CC to control VST parameters in audio tracks
I need to use MIDI CC info from my MIDI control surface to adjust parameters in plugins on audio tracks during performace.

Is it possible to use real-time MIDI CC info from a MIDI control surface to control VST FX parameters in audio tracks. This is necessary where the track output is what needs to be recorded, and real time changes to VST effects while playing guitar are an essential part of the performance. For example, with looping effects where 'on the fly" parameter changes need to be made as part of the performance.
I have found the required FX parameters can be easily controlled when the track input is set to MIDI, but the track will not receive audio while set to MIDI. Conversely the track will accept and record audio when the input is set to AUDIO, but then it ignores the MIDI CC input. GGGGrrr
Is there an answer to this dilemma? Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version 4.15
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 5
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-23-2011 09:01 AM

Make a new track and set it to MIDI input, route that onto your audio track which is processing the guitar.
12-23-2011 04:07 PM

Brilliant !!!
Thanks RunBeer Run. brilliant I now have full control of ELOTTRONIX, The Frippertronics style twin echo system. It's a beautiful thing. Two independent tracks of looping. Still exploring the potential, but so far just about the best way for one person to have fun all on their own with a guitar.
A bit off thread but, If anyone is using this VST and has worked out the way to dump just one track while keeping the other please let me know. There is an echo regeneration control (DECAY) but this does not seem to remove the loop even when set to eith3er full or none. It would be ideal to be able to totally dump one track when it goes pear-shaped while still keeping the other one.
12-23-2011 04:34 PM

I just found the answer to my own question (pathetically easy actually). Just deselect the unwanted track (Line 1 or Line 2) for a moment. That dumps the loop instantly.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue