Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

NEW MODULATION SYSTEM Issue Tools
issueid=5173 04-19-2014 01:01 PM
Human being with feelings
NEW MODULATION SYSTEM

Hi!
This is how i imagine to integrate a new modulation system in Reaper, mixing Reaper concepts and some other (mostly from native instruments massive and bitwig) in a new environment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firstly a little preamble.

The parameter modulation system in Reaper is powerful, but in my opinion it has several negative aspects:

1) To use an lfo/audio control signal to modulate different parameters at once you have to use the link parameter option...this means that for each parameter you want to modulate you have to find the parameter, enable parameter modulation, click on 'link from parameter' option, find from a 'big' list of parameters the parameter you want to link from, adjust offset and scale values to obtain the desired modulation.
This can not be considered an easy and fast way to modulate parameters and have a negative impact of creativity (it takes several minutes only to build a 'complex' macro modulation).

2) With the actual system you can't know in an easy/fast way which parameters are controlled by another source. You have to manually check parameter per parameter the relative parameter modulation window and see what type of modulation is going there (if it has an lfo, an audio control signal, or if it is linked to another parameter).

3) Actually is not possible to control Lfo or Audio control signal parameters with other Lfo/Audio contorl signal devices, and it is not possible to make automations for that parameters. For example it is not possible to make an automation for the lfo rate, or it is not possible to control the lfo strength by an audio control signal or another lfo.

The concept

NOTE: the graphic schemes i've done are purely indicative, they should only show you the idea. I have not any graphic skill, so anyone talentend and interested can make a new graphic for this idea.

My idea is to replace the actual UI plugin area inside the FX track window with a new area, we can call it "MODULATION AREA".
This new area should be divided in three different sections (you can think these like frames in an html page):

1)Modulators section
2)Macro section
3)Plugins UI section

Here a graphic scheme:

And here a schematic legend:

Modulator section

In this section you can add modulators like LFOs, Audio Control Signal devices, and why not also other types of modulators if JS will make it possible like Step modulator or Envelope modulator.

Each modulator have an 'Assign button' that allows to modulate other parameters. Clicking on it will switch the assign-mode to ON for that modulator (the assign-button will start blinking) and you can assign modulation amounts clicking and dragging the mouse on a parameter knob.
Re-clicking the 'Assign-button' will switch the assign-mode to OFF (the button stop blinking) and all parameter knobs switch back to default behavior.

This concept is taken from Bitwig, and it is very fast and super-easy to use:

Each parameter knob have a modulation bar around it that shows the modulation amount for that parameter relative to the modulator that is in assign-mode=ON (this is a mix between Bitwig concept and native instruments massive concept).

Note: each parameter of a modulator can be modulated by another modulator. This will give maximum flexibility like in a modular system.

In the top-right corner of Modulators section i have added two buttons:

+ button) open a context menù to add a new modulator in the section (LFO, Audio COntrol SIgnal, Step Mod, Envelope Mod, other modulator)

- button) remove selected modulator

This section has a scroll bar to scroll the list of the added modulators.

NOTE: it could be nice to have each modulator to have the same (small) size, so for example in one row we can put 2 or 3 modulators, before switch to another raw.

Here a schematic example of an LFO:

In the top-right corner each modulator have a button that shows in a popup window a list of the parameters modulated by that modulator, for an easy and ultra-fast overview.

Macro section

In this section it is possible to add macro knobs to control other parameters. Like a modulator, a macro knob have an 'Assign-button' that allows to modulate other parameters entering the assign-mode=ON (button blinking). Each macro knob can be renamed and automated.

Note: a macro knob can be modulated by other modulators.

In the top-right corner of Modulators section i have added two buttons:

+ button) add a new macro knob

- button) remove selected macro

This section has a scroll bar to scroll the list of the added macros.

Plugins UI section

In this section there are the plugins UI for the current track. Each plugin has its own sub-section with its relative parameters.

A difference from Reaper actual UI: we can filter which plugin parameters we want to see.

Each plugin sub-section has three buttons in the top-right corner:

+ button) Open a context menu: Add last touched parameter/ Add plugin parameter from list (open plugin parameters list)
- button) remove selected parameter
filter button) Open a context menu: Show only automated and modulated parameters/Show all plugin parameters

Each parameter knob has a modulation bar around it where it is possible to see the modulation amount for the current modulator in assign-mode=ON.

Right-click on a plugin parameter open a context menu:
1) Clear all modulations for this parameter
2) Clear all automations for this parameter
3) Add an automation lane for this parameter
4) Add this parameter in track control
5) Remove this parameter
6) other options..

Each parameter knob has the parameter/alias name on top of it and the current parameter value under it.

Each plugin sub-section has its internal scroll-bar to scroll the list of plugin parameters.

The plugins UI section has a scroll bar to scroll the list of plugin's UI.

Advantages

1) Full modular system: each knob parameter (plugin/macro/modulator) can be modulated from another macro/modulator or automated. This means you can also modulate an lfo rate by another lfo, or an audio control signal strength parameter can be modulated by another lfo...etc.

2) You have the full control of all the modulations of the current track in one window: you can add Modulators in modulator section, macro knobs in the Macro section and assign them to the plugin parameter in the PLugin UI section, all in the same window.

3) You can assign a macro/modulator to multiple parameters in an easy and ultra-fast way using the assign-mode: click the modulator assign button, click and drag the mouse on parameters you want to modulate. Done.

4)You have an easy access/view to the modulated parameters by a modulator:
- using the show modulated parameters list button on the top-right corner of modulator.
- switch to assign-mode ON for that modulator will show the modulation amount for each parameter in the modulation bar around the knobs.

5) you can filter the displayed parameters in the plugins UI, so you can focus only on which you are interested to modulate/automate

Final considerations

I know. This is a lot of work, a lot of coding. But how wonderful Reaper will be with a modulation system like this? This is just my big dream for Reaper future^^.

Note: any user that wants to improove this idea with its own ideas is welcome!

Final note: i apologize for my poor english, SRY!

Discussion thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...52#post1343952

[Edited to reduce the page width, to aid readability -- DarkStar]
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version 4.61
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 30