Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Improved metering Issue Tools
issueid=1200 09-15-2009 05:29 AM
Human being with feelings
Improved metering
Optional inter-sample-peak and RMS metering on all channels

I suggest that Reaper takes it on to become the first DAW with fully professional comprehensive metering on all channels. This would include:

1) The possibility to display inter-sample-peak levels as well as ordinary peak levels on all channels.
2) The possibility to simultaneously display VU/RMS metering on all channels. This would include a choice of different weightings, time-windows, ballistics, reference levels (K-system), etc. Reaper should come with presets for the most widely used/commonly accepted metering standards.
3) Making sure the metering resolution is adequate, and that the metering is responsive enough. Durroughs metering is a well implemented example of this.

Quality and kind of metering should be optional to preserve cpu in cases it is needed.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Duplicate
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version 3.104
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 48
No votes 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-15-2009 04:04 PM

Ok, i think that's important too. Esp, the rms option for channels.

Some guy posted a pic of his sound devices recorder's meters in a thread a while ago. They were the thing to have -- rms, with peak above as a single line on the same graph with a 1 second hold.
09-15-2009 06:53 PM

Yeah that was me. Those kinds of meters convey the overall loudness(like a VU meter might do), while still giving you peak information.

A good FR. I'd like to mention an important detail here that has been overlooked by the developers.

The tracks have a falloff rate that you can set up in the preferences. The master does not. Integration time is a setting nobody wants to use for a fall off rate, except for very long integration times. It would be so easy to simulate common metering ballistics, but just as Reaper cannot change the ballistics of the track meters, it has no falloff rate parameter on the master at all.

This makes it impossible to use a 10 ms integration time on the master, which is what all standard broadcast meters do in Germany(and GB too I believe). Well, I hope it can get on the to-do list, along with the rather more complex stuff like weighting schemes.
09-15-2009 08:22 PM

4) The possibility to display mono metering when a track is only playing a mono signal. This makes for good session management and fast feedback from the UI to the user in the mix window. As it stands now, all mono tracks have stereo metering.

There are a few solutions to the above. Right click a meter and choose to "display mono metering". Ctrl+T currently creates a track with stereo meters. Ctrl+Shift+T(or something similar) can create a track with mono metering. I'm sure there are other solutions.

Shane
01-24-2011 11:56 AM

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue