Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

inverse of Explode multichannel audio (i.e. separated mono to stereo) Issue Tools
issueid=5288 07-23-2014 05:50 PM
Human being with feelings
inverse of Explode multichannel audio (i.e. separated mono to stereo)

REQUEST: Reaper needs a handy (emphasis on handy) way to combine separate mono items into a multichannel item, including all material in the underlying media sources beyond the slip edits. The handiest approach for the user would be an inverse of "Item: Explode multichannel audio..." - a new action along the lines of: "Item: Implode single channel items to multichannel audio item".

PRESENT STATE: This can be done presently with about 8 tedious steps using a glue/render approach, for example to implode 2 separated items of L/R audio into a single stereo item, I can take the following steps:

1. Copy the L/R clips to a new track so I don't lose the old edit/fade info.
2. Extend all slip edits to the beginning and end of the underlying media source file.
3. Remove all fades
4. Pan each clip correctly
5. render or glue.
6. re-edit beginnings and ends.
7. re-fade.
8. cleanup/remove old clips

Simple for one conversion. Insane for a project with hundreds of conversions.

I can't consolidate those steps into a custom action because I don't have the atomic actions available, like "Item edit: Move right edge of item to end of media source" or "Item edit: Move left edge of item to beginning of media source"

Another workaround is the SWS Extension,"Implode items to takes and pan symmetrically". This is ultimately insufficient because of the numerous drawbacks of having the two channels in separate takes rather than in a single item/file. (Ease of use in external editor, ability to select and edit properties for all takes at once).

In audio post, most picture editing software audio exports, whether FCP, Premiere or Avid, butcher audio files. They particularly like to separate poly-channel audio files into mono. This is fine in some cases, for example multiple microphones capturing a single performance. But in many other cases, particularly stereo music, the audio is much easier to work with as a single stereo file rather than two panned mono files (Particularly when opening an item in an external editor).

The workarounds available now are sufficient for a very small number of implosions, but entirely insufficient for the large number of items in a typical long video project. As an example, I'm working with a director/editor now who has built his score from hundreds of snippets and slices of stereo music, all magically separated by Final Cut's export. This case is a bit extreme, but it's not unusual to need to separate and combine a ton of clips of multichannel audio in a single project throughout the workflow of audio post.

It does not work to do this recombination of files, mono-to-poly outside of Reaper because the whole point is to maintain the location on the timeline. (I believe most of us audio posties who use Reaper are doing something along the lines of NLE->AATranslator->Reaper to allow the picture editor to determine sync on the timeline while allowing us to use a decent audio DAW.)
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version 4.7
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 15
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)