Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

UVIWorkstation x64 MIDI Editing Crash Issue Tools
issueid=5338 09-12-2014 12:48 AM
Human being with feelings
UVIWorkstation x64 MIDI Editing Crash
MIDI note changes hang Reaer 4 x64 v4.721~73pre but not not v4.32pre6

I've been using UVIWorkstation x64 with Reaper 4 x64 for a while. It always hang sometime randomly after I editing a midi note during composing.
Until yesterday, I found a way to replicate the Reaper 4 program hang problem definitely.

Download the Project file from: https://www.dropbox.com/s/05thnouu4p...crash.RPP?dl=0

Spec and enviroment:
- Reaper 4 x64 v4.73pre5 portable with inital settings except point UVI Workstation x64 in VST path.
- RME UFX under ASIO 44.1kHz 512samples latency (I can reproduce this bug even with dummmy audio driver)
- Windows 7 SP1 x64
- i7-2600ks with 16GB memory.
- UVIWorkstation x64 latest version from: http://www.uvi.net/dwl.php?p=pc-x64
(Default setting except pointing Sound Banks to the folder containing following samples.)
- iLok manager latest version.
- UVI library: PlugSound Pro.ufs, and Mello.ufs (I will contact UVI support to read this so they could provide you with the two libraries)
placed on a 7200RPM disk.
The reason of using two libraries is to avoid another issue on initial loading 2UVIWorkstation using the same library leads to REAPER4 x64 CRASH.

Reproduce Steps:
1. Open the project "20140912-2 using 2 UVI lib avoid initial crash.RPP"
2. Wait untill the sound loads (if you have more libraries than the 2 libraries, it took a lot longer for UIVWorkstation to startup in a project in Reaper 4. In my case with 270G samples, it takes about 5~6 seconds inital loading for Reaper 4 to response)
3. Open track 2 midi item, start from measure 2, hit "space" to playback. After one measure played, hit space again to stop playback.
4. Mouse editing the first note up or down to another pitch. (Notice that the midi preview sound is gone)
5. Hit "space" to playback again. Now Reaper 4 x64 hangs.
6. Usually it took 2~4 minutes on my system and Repaer 4 x64 will continute playback but the edited MIDI sending to UVIWorkstation parts has no sound. I have ot offline and online UVIWorkstation to hear the missing sound.
7. If you cannot produce the bug on the first try, try close Reaper 4 again, reopen it and start from step 1 to 5. Usually within 3 try I can reproduce this bug. And the bug tends to persist if I close Repaer 4 by force and reopen Reaper 4 quickly and repeat step 1 to 5.

Cross Reference:
- In the same Reaper 4 x64 v4.73pre5 portable, if midi editing during realtime playback, the same program hang is not happened. But I cannot assure if random hang in later editting still happens when UVIWorkstation start looking for ilok license again maybe after 10 minutes.
- In REAPER v4.32 pre6/x64 (portable and normal installation), Reaper never hang in the same steps. (Cannot sure if Reaper hangs later)
- In REAPER v4.721 x64 portable version, it hangs too.
- In Studio One x64, using the same midi and UVIWorkstation instruments. MIDI editing in Studio One works correctly.
- In Sonar X3, never experience such midi editing program hang like Repaer 4 when using UVIWorkstation.
- In the same Reaper 4 x64 v4.73pre5 portable, the other ilok protected VSTi AIR Instrument The Riser Trial version haven't crashed like UVIWorkstation.
(I currently have no other ilok protected sampled-based VSTis)
- No any application hang error in windows event viewer if I don't force closing Reaper 4. Observe in ProcessMonitor,the threads are created when midi is edited but does not exit in time like they normally do.
- I found using two UVIWorkstation reproduce this bug a lot consistent while I normally use one and multi ouput the instruments. But the crash is a lot radomly about 10 minutes one crash.

Another related bug which might help debugging:
- In normal and portable v73pre5 and v32pre6 Once opened the project, if you change track2 into a bass preset from Plug-Sound library in UVIWorkstation while playback stops. Reaper CRASHES.
- But when you change a preset during playback, Reaper works just fine. Although I prefer playback a few bars, stop playback, browsing instruments, changing instrument, playback again to hear the difference. (which leads to crash if using two same preset from the same lirary)
- No such crash in Studio One x64.

I prefer using Reaper 4 for excellent mixing workflow. But adding VIWorkstation for a bit production work before mix could be very bothersome due to this midi editing hang bug.
Hope this weird bug could be fixed. Thank you.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category MIDI recording and playback
Status Misdirected Post
Priority 2
Affected Version 4.721
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-21-2014 08:35 PM
Human being with feelings

Follow up report:
Main bug reported here disappeared in Reaper 4 v4.73 x64. (was there in v4.72)
Thank you.

Another related bug still crashes Reaper 4 v4.73 x64 immediately.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue