Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Proper Stereo Panning Issue Tools
issueid=161 06-18-2009 08:24 AM
Human being with feelings
Proper Stereo Panning
When panning a stereo track preserve the stereo information all the way.

Right now, if you have a guitar and a stereo delay going left->right, if you pan the track hard left, you loose the right delay. Or if you have a stereo synth and pan left you loose the right channel information. This makes the panning a killer of stereo information, because has you pan, you start to loose the stereo information of one channel. This is good if you have one mono track routed to a bus where you have the effects, so you pan the mono track to pan the signal in the stereo effect; but this is digital world, Iīm not doing this for every stereo track. I donīt know how people can mix knowing that each time you pan youīre loosing part of the sound, if you know a secret please share:) We need a stereo "balanced" mode.

I know that chamix2 JS plugin does that, but I have to open one everitime I need a new track, them remember to move it down in fx chain, them control the knobs and forget the pan in the track... not very good, especially for such a simple thing as panning...

Thatīs it.

Thanks

jony
This issue is closed. No more replies may be made.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Implemented
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version 3.04
Closed Version 4.0
Yes votes 262
No votes 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-11-2009 07:40 PM

I fixed the macro in my post in 1st page. It wasn't working properly, please download again.
07-12-2009 05:39 AM

This is a necessary feature that should be on the track per Tallisman and KeyMans descriptions.

One thing I often use it for is when mixing and manipulating the stereo field of the master bus. Apply an S1 or similar to the master to widen the stereo field and then go back into the mix and bring some sources "back in towards the center" with individual LR controls. Having to insert plugs everywhere I do that would be a huge pain in the arse.

From a conventional point of view analog mixers had mono channels so stereo linked channels always have had independent panning. It makes no sense not to have that in a daw.
07-12-2009 08:05 AM

the trick is to find a single scheme that works for both mono and stereo info.
07-12-2009 10:32 AM

The one currently used is a panner that simply controls the levels of the first and second channels.

All of them are compatible for mono sources(same signal on channels one and two), including the indvidual channel rotational panner (as Protools has). The basic scheme is to have the signal on both channels at all times.

The current panner is simply a gain stage for each channel controlled by a single knob(or slider). The balance panner gives each channel TWO gain stages, one for each output channel of the track. The dual panner is the current panner x 2 , or rather one pan control per channel. To illustrate(updated):

[img]http://img22.**************/img22/4469/pannersignalflow2.png[/img]
07-12-2009 03:46 PM

how do the other daws do it?
07-12-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious
the simplest way to fix this is the way acid did it a long time ago. you just right click on the pan slider to choose the type of panning.

no extra graphical design needed. no extra buttons.
-but in Reaper this could be implemented by replacing the gui pan slider image with another (different colour, or somehow marked), indicating the panning mode. Very little extra graphic design, no extra buttons.
07-19-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious
the simplest way to fix this is the way acid did it a long time ago. you just right click on the pan slider to choose the type of panning.

no extra graphical design needed. no extra buttons. i believe that solves the problem, or am i missing something?

http://i40.tinypic.com/3149pg6.jpg

I have to agree with this... it seems like the logical solution. Simple, effective, nothing extra to add to the GUI...
07-19-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatPsychic
I have to agree with this... it seems like the logical solution. Simple, effective, nothing extra to add to the GUI...
This is a totally different topic. Called "Pan Law" in REAPER.
Closed

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue