Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Cannot use on board sound on OSX because of new layout in "Audio>Device" Issue Tools
issueid=2751 07-20-2010 05:10 AM
Human being with feelings
Cannot use on board sound on OSX because of new layout in "Audio>Device"

On OSX, "Built in Mic", "Built in Input", and "Built in Output" all show up as separate audio devices. This means you can only select one, which means you have to choose between being able to record or being able to hear audio.

If I have it set to "<default system device>" it chooses "Built in Output", and no inputs show up as available to record with. But if I select "Built in input" or "Built in mic", I can't get any sound because there is no device selected for output.

As you can see here, OSX lets me independently choose which device is used for input and which is used for output:

The microphone icon means that device is being used for input and the speaker icon means that device is being used for output.

When selecting "<default system device>", can Reaper not just make the same selections as laid out in the Audio MIDI Setup window in OSX? So that way "<default system device>" in my case would mean using the mic for input, and the speakers for output. Currently, Reaper just sets the device to "Built in output", which doesn't include any inputs and therefore won't let me record anything.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category OSX particulars
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version 3.65
Closed Version 3.66
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-21-2010 02:02 PM
Human being with feelings

click the box at the bottom to allow for use of alternate device. then you can select both output and input. this is not a bug.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue