Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Arrow keys do not work in U-he Zebra and ACE for browsing patches Issue Tools
issueid=1648 12-03-2009 01:55 AM
Arrow keys do not work in U-he Zebra and ACE for browsing patches
As per title

Hello,

discussion thread here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=47658

It looks like U-he plugins do not get arrow keys even though they do in other hosts (Cubase is one).

The option to send all shortcuts and the fact the the plugin GUI is floated or not don't make any difference.

Other plugins seem to get arrow keys instead.

Thanks,
Mario
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version 3.1415
Closed Version 3.15
Yes votes 3
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-03-2009 04:10 AM
Human being with feelings

Same problem here with u-he Zebra2 and ACE plus:

NI Absynth 3 also exhibits this behaviour (i.e. up/down arrows work in Cubase but not in Reaper 3.1415 when selecting presets via the plug-in's own GUI).

However, NI FM7 seems to work correctly in this respect.
12-03-2009 08:47 AM
Administrator

There may be a couple of different issues affecting this but I think one of them may need to be handled on the plugin side. I will try to contact u-he directly.
12-03-2009 09:08 AM
Administrator

Hmm, just testing by loading Zebra 2 (demo) into Cubase SX3 ... what part of the GUI should respond to arrow keys? When browsing presets the arrow keys seem to have no effect.
12-03-2009 12:36 PM

In Cubase SX3, open Zebra, then click on the "presets" button (top-left). Presets are now displayed on the right-hand side of the GUI (if you can't see any presets on the right then left-mouse click on one of the banks on the left-hand side until you can). Left-click once with the mouse on any preset (on the RH side). Now you can scroll with the keyboard up/down arrow keys to audition presets, which is very handy (note that you cannot do this with banks on the left-hand side though).

Reaper (3.1415) does not seem to allow the up/down arrow keys to work.
This is all on Win XP 32 here, by the way.

I hope that helps.
12-03-2009 12:48 PM
Administrator

That's odd, doing exactly what you say using XP, Cubase SX3, and Zebra2, I cannot scroll through the presets on the right hand side with the arrow keys. Perhaps it matters that I'm using the demo version? Is there anywhere else that arrow keys do something on the GUI?

The next Reaper release will have a specific fix to get arrow, tab, and other keys to the plugin if "send all keyboard input" is enabled and the plugin GUI is focused. Perhaps that will improve your experience, though as I say I can't make Zebra respond to the arrow keys in any host here.
12-03-2009 03:30 PM

Well, yes, as you say, that is indeed odd! I've now tried this in 2 separate XP machines - one with Cubase LE and the ACE demo, another with Cubase SX3, Zebra and ACE (full versions) and they both/all behave in the same way.

Did you try it with the demo of ACE as well?

Anyway, many thanks for looking into this. It's good to know that a keyboard-to-plug-in-related fix is imminent - fingers crossed that might fix this problem. Thanks again for your efforts.
12-03-2009 05:46 PM

One other thing Schwa, I just tested this in Reaper 3.14159rc (after your last post I noticed it included "+ Windows: handle more types of keyboard input when set to send all keyboard input to plug-in") so couldn't resist :-)

...but unfortunately there's still no change in this regard (I tried with "send all keyboard input to plug-in" both selected AND deselected) - I still can't use the up/down arrows to scroll within the main GUI interface in either Zebra or ACE with Reaper as host :-(
12-03-2009 05:52 PM
Administrator

OK. At this point we're pretty confident we are doing everything necessary to send the keyboard input to the plugin. After 3.14159 is released we'll contact u-he to see if they are making any relevant assumptions (one thing that comes to mind is that the plugin may not expect to be a child of a dialog window).
12-03-2009 05:57 PM

That would be great! Once again Schwa, many thanks for your efforts to solve this one.
12-04-2009 12:58 AM

I tried floated GUI of Zebra2 with latest REAPER rc2: with "send all keyboard to plugin" off, pressing arrow key up with one preset already selected gives focus to REAPER preset list on window top. Enabling the option and repeating the operation the focus doesn't move anymore from the plugin GUI but the preset selection doesn't move. I'll try contacting Urs as well, but he's hell busy currently with the ACE release...

- Mario
12-04-2009 02:22 AM

Yes, that's exactly what I see here too. I can actually select presets with the drop-down menu from the top-centre with ""send all keyboard input to plug-in"" selected, but it would be much more convenient to be able to scroll through the presets already present in the GUI, as you can in Cubase. Let's hope this can be fixed one way or another.
12-07-2009 04:48 PM

Hi Schwa, Just wondered if you've had a chance to contact u-he about this now that 3.14159 has been released? Any useful feedback which might lead to a fix?
12-08-2009 10:52 AM

Another related problem: in Cakewalk Dimension Pro and Rapture (VSTi version) the arrow keys work in patch browser but the enter key, that should load the selected patch, doesn't, even if "send all keys to plugins" option is set.

The enter key works in SONAR 8.3.1.

- Mario
12-08-2009 12:28 PM
Administrator

We are talking to u-he, Urs has been responsive and we'll figure it out.
12-08-2009 01:07 PM

Urs is very cool :)
12-08-2009 01:23 PM

Just been dealt the ACE, so I look forward to this.
12-08-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
We are talking to u-he, Urs has been responsive and we'll figure it out.
Thanks for the update - sounds promising :-)
12-11-2009 12:53 AM

ACE 1.0 release works correctly with 3.15pre1 (only the patch list, not the patch tree, but it's great already); the problem with enter key and cakewalk plugins remains (they work correctly in latest SaviHost though so it's not only SONAR)

- Mario
12-11-2009 03:22 AM

We're getting there...

In 3.15 pre3, ACE now seems to work correctly. Patches can be selected from the GUI without "send all keyboard to plug-in" selected. This is great, (and as it should be) so that Reaper can still be started and stopped etc. from the keyboard without having to change window focus.

However, it's still not working here in Zebra (neither with nor without "send all keyboard to plug-in" selected...).
12-11-2009 06:15 AM
Administrator

Glad it's working with ACE. I believe Zebra will work as well, after the next u-he update.
12-11-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
Glad it's working with ACE. I believe Zebra will work as well, after the next u-he update.
Thanks. That's good to know.
12-11-2009 03:30 PM

U-he just released a new Zebra2 beta (11) and arrow keys work in it. Devs choose if closing this bug or investigating the Cakewalk plugins problem (I repeat they work in SaviHost as well, so it's not only SONAR properly working with them).

- Mario
12-12-2009 04:23 AM

Thanks for the info Mario - that's good to know too (unfortunately I don't have the Cakewalk plugs so can't test those here).

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue