Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

grid/marker/selection lines - NOT drawn over empty space. Issue Tools
issueid=662 07-21-2009 06:26 PM
Human being with feelings
grid/marker/selection lines - NOT drawn over empty space.
unnecessary lines over empty space are distracting and look poo. (< technical term)

currently all gridlines/marker/region/edit cursor lines appear over any empty arrange area space -

they ( the gridlines) don't need to and it looks a bit messy,

i'm for keeping the rest as they are useful - but gridlines over empty area do not help any user, you use the grid as a reference close to the point of interest, you don't refer visually to this area it just distracts and looks bad too.

[pics deleted - just imagine loads of distracting gridlines over empty space...]

why not just have:

not life changing but still...
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version 3.06
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 25
Users who would not use this feature 9
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-02-2009 05:39 AM
Administrator

Do people really think the "nicer" picture looks nicer? To me having information there makes it much easier to see the cursor location, time selection, etc.
08-02-2009 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
To me having information there makes it much easier to see the cursor location, time selection, etc.
same here...
08-02-2009 02:14 PM

I think this could be an option (the FR is interesting for me), or, alternatively, the grid line color could be separated from the timeline ruler color, so that the grid could have less contrast while the timeline could remain as it is.

- Mario
08-02-2009 06:37 PM

well nicer is nicer! - obviously ;)
ask the opinion of a passing woman, they (i have heard) know about these things.

you could exclude the cursor and possibly timeselections from the nitpick (would make them stand out more in fact - a good thing), the grid is definately distracting when working on a couple of tracks however and was the main problem.

the 'information' as i see it is useful in relation to items and tracks etc. but not useful/easier/required in that 'no mans land'.

e.g. when moving things around my eye goes to areas near items to check the grid.

plus it reminds me of pinstripes... pinstripes remind me of lawyers and 'suits', and thats not so good!
08-02-2009 07:11 PM

If it was going to be implemented, it'd have to be optional. I'm not 100% happy with the way my grid looks (and I'm not, yet, 100% sure why), but I'd like to keep it in that area.
08-02-2009 07:33 PM

This is the real deal:

http://stashbox.org/588448/better_lines.png

(looks way better than the original FR screenshot)
08-02-2009 10:39 PM

Please, make it optional at most, or not at all. I use grid lines behind items and I personally donīt like having no information below the tracks.
08-03-2009 02:20 AM

The problem with the grid lines and the default theme, is the contrast (dark background against the grid lines in the empty area).

If the grid lines could be dimmer in the empty area it would be a lot better though I suspect there's a significant coding overhead involved that's probably not worth it.
08-18-2009 05:19 PM

Optional at most, please. I also like the grid lines. Information = good.
08-19-2009 06:18 AM

This is a great idea here...

When it touches the transport, it goes away/hidden and continues as normal, until you scroll down- where it will show again.

This looks much more 'Polished' in a GUI sense.
08-19-2009 10:14 AM

i cannot fathom how you good folk 'use' the gridlines over the dead space, when they are most usefull in the arrange view, over/around your items.
when you move stuff you don't look at the pinstripes over dead space to guage whats going where, you use the grid on/near the track in question or by the ruler, shirley?
i would be for retainingg the cursor and time selections over all arrange view btw, just drop the gridlines. its dead info personally.

(top and bottom ruler idea is good.)

again, no big deal, but am surprised at the split opinion on what i thought was a gimme!
08-19-2009 01:40 PM

Now that I think about it, I'm not blessed with a large enough monitor or few enough tracks to even have this "problem" most of the time...
08-19-2009 09:58 PM

How can i vote for the latest screenshot? :))
08-22-2009 04:59 PM

How can I vote for a bigger monitor? :)
07-19-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
Do people really think the "nicer" picture looks nicer? To me having information there makes it much easier to see the cursor location, time selection, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected
same here...
I take my words back...I vote for this FR as option. ([] show/hide grids over empty space)

in many themes the grids over the empty space looks realy bad and catch the attention especially in a selected area.
07-19-2010 02:00 PM

v. honest of you reflected! thought this was a dead duck and it still bugs me, i eventually tweaked my theme so the gridlines and backround don't contrast as much.

and to confirm i would narrow this to gridlines only, markers selection lines, cursor are handy over empty space - gridlines not.

with a new version on the horizon, this fr could be taken into consideration - especially the 'bottom ruler' idea (sounds rather english comedy to me)
12-02-2010 07:41 PM

I don't like the grid lines in the deadspace below the last track.
12-03-2010 03:11 AM

I apologise for posting here, no discussion thread. My opinion: the grid lines can extend all the way down BUT, it would look much nicer if they were very faint below the tracks in the empty space.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue