Go Back   Cockos Confederated Forums > Projects > REAPER > Feature Request

Num * assigned to rec doesn't work when FX window has focus Issue Tools
issueid=35 06-13-2009 10:34 AM
Human being with feelings
Num * assigned to rec doesn't work when FX window has focus

When you see VSTi synth in front of you, you should be able to press '*' and start recording immediately, but not focus main window and then start recording! That is very important!
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project REAPER
Category Editing behavior
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version 3.02
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 16
Users who would not use this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-13-2009 11:16 AM

That is what actions and shortcut keys are for man.
06-13-2009 11:21 AM

Really? Try to open FX Window and press Num * to record, while FX Window is focused
06-13-2009 11:23 AM

I think this should be bug report rather than request :)))

vote YES!
06-13-2009 11:25 AM

HA!!! I tried to set record to Ctrl+Shift+0 and record started :D
It is a bug with Num *
06-13-2009 12:17 PM

I can confirm this! Not a feature request imo, a bug.
06-13-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth
That is what actions and shortcut keys are for man.
I think you totally misunderstood the report, no offence :)
06-13-2009 07:11 PM

I don't think this is a bug, it's design. The fx window grabs single key input, you need a keyboard modifier to overide it.

If you assign a modifier to the * key (eg Ctrl-*), it will work when focus is on the fx window.

btw for a quick way to toggle focus between Reaper and it's sub-windows, I made a utility here

Edit: just to add, I also use the '*' key for record, so perhaps there could be a special case for that since there's so many users (it's a carry-over from Logic with me).
06-13-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss
Edit: just to add, I also use the '*' key for record, so perhaps there could be a special case for that since there's so many users (it's a carry-over from Logic with me).
that is a great idea.
Carries over from Cubendo for me.

.t
This petition for a change to Confirmed was rejected
06-14-2009 02:38 AM

Carries over from Reason 4 for me :)
90% (may be even more) of sequencers use Num * for record. Why don't you just let that be in reaper too? This will do a little single step for people to migrate into to reaper.
I guess it is normal sequencer behaviour when all transport keys (RWD, FF, PLAY, STOP, REC, LOOP) are working in all other windows (exception if that window has it's own transport like media explorer)
This petition for a change to Confirmed was rejected
06-14-2009 03:47 AM

Quote:
I don't think this is a bug, it's design. The fx window grabs single key input, you need a keyboard modifier to overide it.
But it responds on space bar ;) Space bar is a single key input :)

pan.Krutilkin, I am totally agree, all the transport keys should be working on every musical-related window unless that windows have it's own transport!
06-14-2009 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting issue. It seems to sit exactly on a line between FR and BR. Num * only doesn't work when the FX window has focus, which could be considered as bug. But one could say that missing exclusions of keys from being sent to the window in focus is an unexpected design decision, which makes it a FR. It's consistent behavior in account to the fact that most other keys are not sent to the FX window either and there is a workaround for the "bug" part, so I'd say I'll move it back to the FR tracker soon (waiting a while for counter-statements).
06-14-2009 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbeerko
But it responds on space bar ;) Space bar is a single key input :)
As I recall, that was designed in at some stage by request (spacebar passes through regardless of focus).
06-14-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:
As I recall, that was designed in at some stage by request (spacebar passes through regardless of focus).
This isn't correct, Bevosss. Try something like BFD2, and the spacebar does not pass through to the main sequencer.
06-14-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience
This isn't correct, Bevosss. Try something like BFD2, and the spacebar does not pass through to the main sequencer.
I remember it from a changelog, so it did happen afaik. Spacebar passes through in most fx, I use Steven Slate Drums 3 using the Kontakt player and that passes through...maybe there's some special case ones that don't pass it through (like BFD2).

In any case I'm not against it being implemented for the * key, since I use it too... :D
06-14-2009 04:14 PM

There are quite a few VSTs where spacebar does not go through to the sequencer; BFD2, Jamstix, Overloud TH-1. Anyway.... what happens when you want to save a preset in the VST and need to put a space in the name? Not good, imo.

I'd actually like the ability to have my numpad be dedicate to the transport, and never get locked to a VST window; and everything else follow focus.
06-16-2009 03:58 AM

So what about this FR-bug? Should I create a new FR?
06-16-2009 08:50 AM

You're right, I did misunderstand.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue