Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Reaper possibly sending unsupported messages to AlphaTrack Issue Tools
issueid=5242 06-17-2014 08:08 AM
Human being with feelings
Reaper possibly sending unsupported messages to AlphaTrack
Messages being sent to AlphaTrack do not appear in Frontier Design's native mode documentation

Hi,

I'm an accessibility developer and I'm currently beta testing my SurfaceReader Windows/Mac application that allows MIDI-based control surfaces to provide spoken feedback to visually-impaired users. The application currently provides support for Mackie Control, Tranzport and, with a little more debugging, HUI and the Tascam FW1884.

SurfaceReader is extensible, so it is possible to define any new protocol to add support for new hardware and I'm currently adding a protocol definition for the Frontier Designs AlphaTrack native mode. I don't have one of these units myself, but one of my testers does have one and is using it with Reaper under Windows 7/64. We have everything talking - LED states are announced when buttons are pressed, the LCD display is read as a whole when the fader is touched and all is well. However, my logging reveals that Reaper is sending some messages to the AlphaTrack that aren't documented in Frontier Designs' current native mode protocol documentation, so I'd like to check if these are just oversights or whether there's a bugg in Reaper's AlphaTrack control surface driver, causing invalid messages to be sent to the hardware. All of the messages are MIDI note-on types, with the least significant nibble of the status byte being incremented from 0 to F. The data 1 byte contains either 7B or 79 and the data 2 byte always contains 0. I'm also passing this query onto Frontier Designs technical support to see if they can explain them, but thought I'd raise the question here as well, given that it's actually Reaper sending the messages.

Additionally, some of the AlphaTrack buttons don't appear to do anything in Reaper (e.g. EQ, Plug-In, Pan, Auto and F1-F4) - is this really the case, or am I missing something? I haven't found any documentation for Reaper's control surface support to indicate what functionality Reaper provides for each of the factory-supplied drivers.

Any information or ideas gratefully received, or please log these issues as bugs, if appropriate.

Best wishes.

Tim
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Stability
Status Misdirected Post
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version Unknown
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-17-2014 09:43 AM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Sorry for the trouble! Please post bugs suspects and help requests in the corresponding forums first. This is not a discussion forum.

This is the issue tracker, a database for reproducible (and confirmed in a previous forum discussion) REAPER bugs following a structure laid out here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653

Alas we can't simply move things between the tracker and the forum. If you still have this issue, can you repost this in the forum for further investigation, please? Thanks!

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue