Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

VST generic UI view: default values badly handled Issue Tools
issueid=1417 10-29-2009 12:20 AM
Mortal
VST generic UI view: default values badly handled
VST generic UI view: default values badly handled

1) add a reaVoice FX
=> the fx is added, default values are set and those default values positions are also visible on the faders

2) switch to generic UI
=> default values remain -BUT- the related positions on the faders are wrong (obviously, always in center) so that double clicks set unexpected values!

of course, this issue occurs with any VST. also, some VSTs only use that "generic UI" mode
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Not a Reaper Bug
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 3.13
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 2
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-29-2009 07:33 PM
Administrator

VST doesn't have a sense of "default" or "middle" value for a parameter. The initial value of a parameter when you open the plugin is whatever the slider happens to be when the state is first loaded, which may be the value for the default preset, or not. On a custom GUI a plugin can put a center indicator or return position wherever it wants, but that's handled internally by the plugin.

We could theoretically handle this by extending the Cockos VST extensions described here http://www.cockos.com/reaper/sdk/vst/vst_ext.php, but even so it would only work for plugins that support the Cockos extensions. In any case, not a bug.
10-30-2009 01:03 AM
Mortal

I understand, thanks schwa.

However...
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
extending the Cockos VST extensions
... is a wording that sounds very good!
11-02-2009 04:47 AM
Mortal

I'm fixing "my own personnal issue" thanks to true GUIs but I was thinking once again to this issue.. more generally...

I understand the best solution is the one proposed by schwa BUT:
1) do we agree the default values set today are completely wrong ?
2) do we agree that, if reaper was using the 1st reported values by the plug, we could get something VERY LESS wrong ?

While the clean solution is not implemented, and since we already have something wrong today, don't you think that 2) will be "less worse" ?
and, if implemented, don't you think that 2) will be "less" worse for the numberous plugs that don't implement cockos VST extensions ?

For VSTs, I might be wrong, but I think that what explained schwa here also explains why we cannot set default values on fx knobs (http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1131), which is more annoying (for me, at least). I proposed the same "default value degraded learning" idea for that issue.
07-26-2011 03:22 AM
Mortal

^^ sometimes (well, often) it's painfull to read older posts you did..

My apologies.

Although, I understand why I said the above from an user POV, I now think it is simply not properly doable (I'm messing around VST hosting code these days..).
As schwa explanations here worth being kept, is it possible for a mod to turn this bug into a FR "New Cockos VST extension allowing plugins to report default values for their parameters" ?

ps: also, many bravos to schwa who managed to keep cool in front such a pile of b******t (I feel so bad.. sorry about that!)

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue