Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Spliting takes may create unexisting audio/midi Issue Tools
issueid=1633 12-01-2009 07:23 AM
Mortal
Spliting takes may create unexisting audio/midi
Spliting takes may create unexisting audio/midi

1) Loop-record some takes (audio or MIDI):

(as you can see above the last take is incomplete like).

2) Now split the related item at a position including last incomplete take

Result:
Reaper creates unexisting audio/midi

Expected result:
well, er.. dunno.. (*) What is sure is that unexisting things should not be created and that the take should not be removed, even if empty: takes could jump lanes otherwise.
(*) A proposition could be to create an offline take after the split, i.e. no source file (?)
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Fixed
Priority 4
Affected Version 3.1415
Closed Version 3.14159
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-01-2009 08:08 PM
Administrator

As you probably figured out, what you end up with is the same thing you would get if the last take were looped.

Unfortunately the alternatives would probably case more confusion than the current behavior. Deleting the right hand scrap of the last take would make the other right hand takes span 2 lanes instead of 3. Creating a brand new empty audio or MIDI take would be "creating unexisting things" as well.
This petition for a change to Confirmed was accepted
12-02-2009 01:27 AM
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
As you probably figured out, what you end up with is the same thing you would get if the last take were looped.

Unfortunately the alternatives would probably case more confusion than the current behavior. Deleting the right hand scrap of the last take would make the other right hand takes span 2 lanes instead of 3. Creating a brand new empty audio or MIDI take would be "creating unexisting things" as well.
Schwa, thanks for the feedback. Even if it's very good for my stats (2nd pos in the "Live with it" band!) for the 1st time, I've to say I respectfully disagree on this one.

Sure, I agree Creating a brand new empty audio or MIDI take would be "creating unexisting things" as well but IMO it's a bit playing with the words, isn't it ? There's a big difference especially for a DAW: those ones won't be heard..

You know I'm a big fan, I won't propose more things (super painfull on a dev side) but here's my first petition to "Confirmed". I don't ask for a fix, but perhaps it could be addressed if the take system get re-worked, at some point. This issue happens very often, "living with it" is a bit strong, IMO
12-02-2009 06:59 AM
Administrator

It's not just semantics, there is no such thing in Reaper as an "empty take". There are empty items that have no takes, but a take is a real media item that lives on disk somewhere.

At present, to create an new, empty audio item, Reaper would need to actually create a file containing audio samples set to zero, and that's not a workable solution. We could add code so that Reaper does have a concept of "empty take", but it would be a nontrivial undertaking. All of the take processing code (playback, rendering, editing, everything) would need to handle empty takes properly.

It is hard to argue with the fact that splitting an item should not change what you hear though, so I suppose we will need to add this.
12-02-2009 08:26 AM
Mortal

Thanks for the technical details ("not just semantics" indeed) and, for some some others reasons, I like the "empty take" idea..

Also, thanks for listening to us, users. It's a brand new concept in the DAW world. You rock!
12-05-2009 02:32 AM
Mortal

FIXED 3.14159rc4 !
12-07-2010 07:12 AM
Mortal

v3.73: this bug is back..
12-17-2010 03:13 AM
Mortal

^^ False alarm.. I'm sorry.
It seems I did some spagethis installations with a pre-release (where the bug is however, more details here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=516)

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue