Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

ProTools 8.0.3 crashes with Reaper ReWire on closing a session Issue Tools
issueid=2152 03-08-2010 06:54 PM
Human being with feelings
ProTools 8.0.3 crashes with Reaper ReWire on closing a session
Same as title

1- Opened a new ProTools session.
2- Created ane stereo instrument track.
3- Chose Instrument>Reaper from drop down menu.
4- Inserted VSTi on new track. (Oatmeal, I think.)
5- Recorded a little tune. (midi only)
6- Saved closed session.
7- Tried to exit ProTools and got the following: Runtime error-R6025-pure virtual function call.
I've tried this a few different ways.
-Leaving Reaper in PT as a plug-in.
-Removing it as a plug-in (2x) i.e. closing ReWire and leaving ReWire open.
This all results in the Blue Screen of Death. Followed by a forced closing by way of complete CPU restart.
Windows Vista Home Premium/32 bit/Athlon 2.70 Ghz/3 MB RAM/Lacie d2 quadra/M-Box Mini/Yamaha PSR E413/MaxwellHouse
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Stability
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version 3.35
Closed Version 3.4
Yes votes 1
No votes 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-09-2010 01:03 AM

With PT 8.0.3(and earlier versions) on XP Pro SP3, I do get the reported error message upon exit as mentioned by the OP(not the blue screen though).

For some additional data, this same error message happened when using FL Studio as a ReWire slave in PT but they have recently resolved it on their end with their current update.

Shane
03-09-2010 06:26 AM
Administrator

You say "and earlier versions", does that include PT 7.x.x ?
03-09-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa
You say "and earlier versions", does that include PT 7.x.x ?
Correct. I can go back as far as 7.3 quickly if you need confirmation.

Shane
03-09-2010 01:52 PM

Image-Line fixed the Run Time Error when in ReWire Slave Mode by releasing a FLReWire.dll file update.

filosofem
03-09-2010 04:51 PM
Administrator

We'll take a look at it, though it will take a few days to wrangle the necessary hardware.
03-10-2010 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem
Image-Line fixed the Run Time Error when in ReWire Slave Mode by releasing a FLReWire.dll file update.

filosofem
I just downloaded FL Studio yesterday and ReWired to Reaper and it crashed on me the same way PT did.
I am starting to believe no company should even offer the ReWire option if it is causing so many problems.
03-10-2010 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid9
I just downloaded FL Studio yesterday and ReWired to Reaper and it crashed on me the same way PT did.
That's useful information, but, I can't reproduce the crash with the FL9 demo and the latest Reaper. Can you give specific steps to reproduce, or possibly post an FL project that will demonstrate the crash?
03-13-2010 05:51 AM
Administrator

Here's where we're at with this.

It seems pretty clearly to be Pro Tools' bug. It's also hell to debug, because one test cycle costs 5 minutes of watching the PT startup screen, and half the time the crash brings down the whole system.

We would probably leave it at that and close the ticket, except that FL has worked around the problem, so there's an existence proof that it's possible!

[edit removed a request for help, no longer needed :) ]

Regardless, we'll keep working on it.
03-14-2010 12:55 PM

It's worth noting that the guys over at Plogue ran into the same thing, and have also come up with a fix of some sort:

http://www.plogue.com/phpBB2/viewtop...971&hilit=pure

There's another mention of a fix in version .9688 here:

http://en.audiofanzine.com/misc-sequ...e/Bidule/news/

It says

"ReWire mode: tentative fix for crash on closing the device when displaying MIDI ports in PT because it doesn't explicitly remove them (this needs a manual config/registry change):

* OS X: open a Terminal window and paste this: defaults write com.plogue.bidule ReWireDevice.PTFix -int 1 (then press return).
* Windows: under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PlogueBidule add a DWORD value named "ReWireDevice.PTFix" (set its value to 1)."
03-14-2010 07:26 PM
Administrator

Fix coming soon. The Plogue changelog pointed us in the right direction.

The issue, recorded here for the benefit of other developers of Rewirable applications, is that Pro Tools will keep the Rewire MIDI channels alive even after the Rewire slave (panel) quits. So the when the slave quits, the Rewire device needs to send the master a notification that the MIDI configuration changed, and change its response to requests for bus/channel configuration info. Additionally, the notification has to happen with enough time for PT to re-request the bus information before shutting down.
03-15-2010 11:09 AM
Administrator

The latest Reaper prerelease build 3.26pre4 (here) should fix the Pro Tools crash on exit when using Reaper as ReWire slave. It would be great if some PT users could try this out.
03-15-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j79 View Post
v3.36pre4 - March 15 2010

+ ReWire: workaround for Pro Tools crashing on exit when Reaper is ReWire slave
Fixed on my end! Awaiting feedback from other users.

Thanks a million schwa!

Shane
03-15-2010 03:47 PM

Some additional info, just like any other ReWire Slave, REAPER needs to be closed first and then Pro Tools prior to exiting both apps.

Shane
03-15-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:
The latest Reaper prerelease build 3.26pre4 should fix the Pro Tools crash on exit when using Reaper as ReWire slave. It would be great if some PT users could try this out.
Fixed! Thank you Reaper Team. Regards.

filosofem
03-16-2010 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan
But is it working on your system now? ;)

Shane
I've tried it a few times with no problems. Plugins don't pass automation data though, but that's O.K.
03-16-2010 05:42 AM
Administrator

This appears to be fixed, I am going to tidy up the ticket and remove most of the posts here, no offense. Please add to the ticket if you have some new information, though.
03-16-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:
This appears to be fixed, I am going to tidy up the ticket and remove most of the posts here, no offense. Please add to the ticket if you have some new information, though.
Gets kind of glitchy penciling in notes, but when you play them back it seems fine.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue