Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Reason Rewire : possibility to specify a Reason Song File to open with a Reaper project Issue Tools
issueid=414 06-30-2009 08:34 AM
Human being with feelings
Reason Rewire : possibility to specify a Reason Song File to open with a Reaper project

Hi!

This could be very cool, when specified in a project, to load the appropriate reason file automatically, instead of the default template load on Reason startup (but keeping it for projects which do not have a reason file related to).

This could be great (also) for people with multiple Reaper projects templates, to attach specified Reason templates to the type of project.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 3.04
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 20
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags ReWire

06-30-2009 10:24 AM

ohgodohgod please, i hate having to always load the correct reason file...
i remember talk a long while back that this was coming
06-30-2009 01:14 PM

I thought about that lots of time, this became one of my music dreams :) I've never met app that could do that, but it is so obvious that it should have been already done. Reaper, you could be the first one!
06-30-2009 02:34 PM

Yes, definitely, because it's annoying opening each time the reason file manually !
07-01-2009 04:54 AM

could have sworn that cubase 2 could do it, but it was so long ago and Reason 1 (which might have helped that along too)

now I hate Rewiring
07-01-2009 04:58 AM

I don't know how Reaper starts Reason. If this is through Rewire we might be out of luck as there might be no such option as to specify which file to open.
If however Reaper spawns the process, it is possible as it is from a command line: Reason "path\songfile.rns"... So any feedback from the devs would be great, so we know to keep our hopes up or not :-s

(Hey scyeye... tried my template already?)
07-01-2009 05:19 AM

well this is the interesting thing - how reaper fires up rewire that is - because rewiring Live into Reaper doesn't even show up Live until you manually start it, whereas Reason just opens up

honestly not tried it yet, just got a Remote Zero SL for my birthday so trying to get that to work and figure out just how it works at the moment
07-01-2009 09:19 AM

i've unchecked the option that means approximately "show rewire panel automatically" in prefs.
rewire starts on my default reaper project load, but reason does not.
i'm hoping that means that a reason file path could be added to the reason rewire track in reaper...this would save me many blank stares at my screens when i accidentally load reason's default instead of the correct reason file and listen to a rack full of untweaked maelstroms beep a somehow familiar melody at me.
07-02-2009 02:42 AM

Yes yes yes, pretty please yes!
Since there is some work in the rewire department for 3.0.6, please add this feature, or at least provide us some feedback on this.

THANKS!!!
07-02-2009 06:56 AM

Digital Performer can load a specific Reason file at startup, so it must be do-able. But Reaper's routing is also a little different, so I wonder...
07-02-2009 07:22 AM

That is really very easy, try run reason with parameter, for example:
Reason.exe some_song.rns
It will load up that file on startup. So it will not be a rocket science to store desired song file name in RPP and call reason with a parameter ;)
07-02-2009 06:30 PM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

On behalf of NAS, here is a little plugin he wrote to address this:

http://shup.com/Shup/180964/Rewire-Booter.rar

Untick "auto-open panels when opening rewire" in preferences, set up the plugin and then save the project with the plugin.

:)
07-03-2009 03:25 AM

Nice one Steindork! Great workaround! And it works :)
07-03-2009 04:01 AM

Excellent thing! Thank You :)
07-03-2009 07:46 AM

Your welcome

NAS
07-03-2009 08:58 AM

HERE
New version 0.02
Just press the button and find the file no need to type in the path anymore

Enjoy

NAS
07-03-2009 10:24 AM
Mobile

Brilliant NAS.. anything that helps Reason integrate better with REAPER is great news
07-03-2009 10:37 AM

this is excellent. should be more popularly known, perhaps even integrated.
thank you, Nas.
07-03-2009 01:36 PM

It cant be more popular i only let you have it yesterday hehehehe

NAS
07-04-2009 03:29 AM

I am gonna stick to the first version, since the new release crashed reaper on save :(
Love to have something that makes working with Reaper and Reason together more easy ... just need to fix a bit for 003.

After playing with the plugin, and a few crashes later: Rewire option is missing from the fx window. WOW, I can not start reason anymore from within Reaper... Any ideas on how to restore my rewire config?
07-04-2009 04:17 AM

erm i dont think this has anything to do with the plugin to be honest
I cant get it to do anything bad whatsoever but then again i am not testing with Reason but the Rewire apps i use
Anybody else having these issues ?

NAS

EDIT*
Just been trying some more
Is there any chance you can get me a .rpp or something to reproduce this cause i can't get it to crash Reaper at all
And neither can the others i have asked
Hopefully a .rpp will put me in the right direction of finding the issue
07-04-2009 07:11 AM

I sure would, but Rewire as an effect completely disappeared for me, so not more reaper+reason till someone points me in the right direction to get this fixed...
Might have been something iffy with the rewire version installed, since I have record beta 7 installed here.
07-04-2009 08:39 AM

Full reinstall of reaper did the thing. (deleted *everything* also in profile).
Now rewire and your plug seem to work fine!
09-28-2009 04:01 PM

Excellent! I've been wishing for this for a while (should've contributed to the thread before!)! Seems to be working OK. Cool!
10-15-2009 11:21 PM

hey everyone,

i've been dying for this functionality, but i use pro tools. got nothing against reaper. can i use this .dll with pro tools? i just tried by putting it in the directory, but it didn't work.

if this doesn't work with it, anyone know where i can find one?

thanks,
s

ps - i don't like pro tools that much.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue