Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Place a sensible limit on the number of MIDI editors Reaper attempts to open to prevent crash Issue Tools
issueid=5144 04-05-2014 03:39 AM
Human being with feelings
Place a sensible limit on the number of MIDI editors Reaper attempts to open to prevent crash
REAPER crashes when MIDI editor is opened in while all tracks selected

If you have a project with many tracks (eg: 32) and many separate midi items (say 5 or 6 per track), and you have accidentally selected all items on all tracks, then double-clicking on a single midi item causes reaper to try to open every single midi item in the project in separate windows.

On Windows (the OS) this results in Reaper progressively grinding to a halt as hundreds of windows are opened.

Finally, Reaper drops out of memory entirely without any message or crash report.

All work done since the last save is lost.

All items on all tracks are selected often accidentally, since if you open a midi editor with a double click, sometimes the editor does not have focus (it opens on a different screen in my setup), and if you press CTRL-A, wanting to select all midi events in the editor, all the items on all tracks is selected instead. If this goes unnoticed, then the next double-click on a midi item in any track causes the events above.

This has caught me out multiple times and it seems straightforward to put in a warning when the number of editors you are about to open is high. I think 10 would be way more than most people would be intending to open.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version 4.61
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 6
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)